Instant Reaction: What Do The Bulls Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,614

Instant Reaction: What Do The Bulls Do This Off-Season? 

Post#1 » by NYG » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:25 am

What do the Bulls do this off-season?

Does ownership still want to keep running back? Do they want to blow it up? Does that involve trading Zach LaVine or are they better off holding onto him and not selling low? Where does DeRozan end up?
neno
Rookie
And1: 918

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Bulls Do This Off-Season? 

Post#2 » by neno » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:53 am

What they should of done years ago admit it's over and rebuild
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,047

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:02 am

try and find a taker for LaVine and he ends up in Detroit for something face savey but of no real value. Re-sign DD. Take the LaVine money and find a starting PF and play for 10th again.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,861

Post#4 » by giberish » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:26 am

Am I the only one who can see the Bulls FO convincing themselves (and no one else) that resigning DDR and Williams and only making a few depth changes is a good idea?
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,328

Post#5 » by Godaddycurse » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:28 am

giberish wrote:Am I the only one who can see the Bulls FO convincing themselves (and no one else) that resigning DDR and Williams and only making a few depth changes is a good idea?

I think they are ready to move on from Lavine
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,047

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:30 am

giberish wrote:Am I the only one who can see the Bulls FO convincing themselves (and no one else) that resigning DDR and Williams and only making a few depth changes is a good idea?

I'm assuming this is the default expectation considering how they've operated since those good Noah teams. With as godaddy and I both mentioned, LaVine being a notable exception. I think they'd really like to get out of that business if they can without taking a major bath.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,861

Post#7 » by giberish » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:34 am

Texas Chuck wrote:

I'm assuming this is the default expectation considering how they've operated since those good Noah teams. With as godaddy and I both mentioned, LaVine being a notable exception. I think they'd really like to get out of that business if they can without taking a major bath.

I think they're kind of ready to move on from LaVine, but their expectations for his trade value may well be out of line (perhaps even wildly out of line) with what the rest of the league thinks. I'm not convinced they'll be thinking that they need to move LaVine at any cost, just that they'd like to move him for what they consider good value. Then when no one is remotely interested in meeting their value for LaVine they just keep him.
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 381

Post#8 » by esvl » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:54 am

Keep Lavine
Let DDR go
And spend all the efforts on youth development
There is no other choice but internal growth
Try to build something internally
Try to build chemistry within the organization
That would be rewarding
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,514

Post#9 » by GoBobs » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:00 am

Things are not really that bad. White has emerged as a good player this season.

They should get rid of Drummond, try to add a small ball type center and play a little more up tempo.

Get off Lavine if you can, but seems like he has chronic injury that he is nursing along and nobody is going to want to sign up to pay the 150 million left on his deal.

Figure out what to do with Caruso who is expiring next year.

Maybe something like Lavine to Det, Caruso and Fournier to Mami, Hero and Wiseman to Bulls

perhaps not that exact trade but something along those lines
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,029

Post#10 » by Colbinii » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:40 am

They shop LaVine for a Beak-like package. Move some pieces around and get back on shooting for that 6 seed.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Astaluego
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#11 » by Astaluego » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:39 am

I will not move Lavine at his lowest moment, I also think that people forget that he is a very good player if he is healthy, at the very least let him play and at the deadline re-analyze the situation. Improve the front track.
I think they are good business partners for the Warriors, if they really want to please Curry.
Send Caruso/Vucevic/Craig/DDR(ST) to the Warriors for Wiggins/Moody/Kuminga/Looney/GP2..

Use a 3 team that takes Wiggins to expire..I like it on my Mavs for THJ(Expires)+Powell+..

(Tim expiring could be moved to some team with space that can't find anything better in FA or doesn't want to commit to several years of contract)

In the Draft, take the best center available...in the range that is found there are usually good options... Edey/Missi/Ware

Draft/Looney/Powell
Kuminga/P.Williams/Philips
Moody/GP2/Terry
Lavine/Ayo/Bitim
White/Ball/Carter
Old Mike Lorenzo
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,328

Post#12 » by Godaddycurse » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:55 am

nobody mentioned yet, but what do ppl think they will do with P Williams? what contract shuold/will he get? is bulls going to match a big offer from a team like pistons?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,663

Post#13 » by Skybox » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:59 am

Lavine and Dejounte Murray are close…understanding that Lavine is a deep negative trade value, double down and try to pair Murray & Lavine. Even if it means trading Coby White- who could actually bring back assets.

Caruso certainly doesn’t get you Murray by himself, but he’d look good next to Trae. I like Coby to ORL, so maybe a 3-way or moving an ORL pick(s) to ATL. Lavine’s only in the gutter because of that insane deal- he’s still very good and would pair well with DJM…frontcourt can be rebuilt but those two keep you relevant.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,614

Post#14 » by NYG » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:10 pm

I don't think a LaVine trade exists
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 762

Post#15 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:17 pm

What do people think of John Collins and Jordan Clarkson for Zach LaVine?
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,525

Post#16 » by jayjaysee » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:18 pm

The pick they owe is top 10 protected, and never drops below top 8. Let Demar walk and trade Caruso for a first. Work with any team who is willing to give a first in a sign and trade. Philly, Utah.. Maybe Atlanta pays a first to turn Hunter into Demar? Maybe it’s Murray and Ball to “Brooklyn” Simmons+first to Chicago, Demar and a first to Atlanta. Keeping Patrick on a front loaded deal. Should start at 20 million IMO, but maybe higher/lower.

I’m committing to Bailey/Flagg though, while masking the tank as giving Coby/Ayo/Patrick the offense. Assuming Zach’s value is negative, let him sitting on the bench as long as possible. Bring him back (to play every other game or so) around the trade deadline, once you trade White to whichever team overbids and finish the tank. Pretend we will be back in the playoffs in 2025 led by LaVine/Bailey.

If somehow the young guys (or Simmons) have kept the team around 500 without LaVine/Demar, you make a new plan. But that’s a good problem.

(Chicago is running it back though IMO - overpaying Demar. Maybe getting a first for Caruso and using whatever excep they have on a big PF that either plays defense or spreads the floor..
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,382

Post#17 » by drosestruts » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:52 pm

This is such a tough one for me. There's no clear answer.

You look at that blow out last night. Heat put Bam on DeRozan and routinely sent extra help at DeRozan. Rest of the Bulls starters shoot 35% overall and 26% from three.

Yet the most common response you get is to move on from veteran players, particularly DeRozan - who in my eyes is the only guy who even played well in our big games.

But DeRozan, to me, as also earned the right to really do whatever he wants. If he wants to play for a contender - I'd honor that wish and try to find a sign and trade to get him where he wants to be. If he for some reason wants to stay in Chicago - who am I to deny the request of our best player and locker room leader.

It's hard to quantify what level of impact DeRozan himself has on the development of our young players.

Amidst all the disappointment of the season, the Bulls are likely to have three candidates for end of season awards - Coby White Most Improved, Caruso all defense team, DeRozan cluth player of the year.

So much individual success, but put it all together and this is what you get.

The Bulls are small. They shoot poorly. Rebound poorly. And for much of the year were playing with $70m in salary in street clothes.

I think there's lot of dominoes/variables that will affect the direction the Bulls are able to go:

1. What does DeMar want?
2. Is there a market for Zach?
3. Is there a market for Vuc?
4. Is there a market for Ball? (even if just for the expiring contract of Ball)
5. Can Ball play for the first time in 2.5 years? If so what does that look like?
6. What's the market for Patrick Williams? Do the Bulls have the opportunity to sign him to a value contract like they did with Ayo and Coby?
7. Who do you draft at #11?

You could quickly find yourself with a decent young core of Coby-Ayo-Williams-#11 (and to a lesser extent Terry and Phillips). Do you let that group sink or swim and move on from the vets?

What if anything can your vets bring back?

Bulls wanted Kuminga in exchange for Caruso at the deadline. Deal obviously didn't happen. Do the Bulls or Warriors change their position on that?

Is Detroit still interested in LaVine?

Bulls were very aggressive 3 years ago in quickly acquiring talent (Vuc, DeRozan, Ball, Caruso all acquired around the same time). I think the fit of these players was always questioned and it clearly didn't work.

What I would most like to see is for the Bulls to build a team that makes sense together. Complimentary skills that fit, amongst players that can grow together.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,516

Post#18 » by Wolveswin » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:55 pm

LaVine to Warriors. I think GSW system thinks they could save LaVine and be the big splash they need for being all-in on Curry’s remaining years.

Wiggins + GP2 + Moody

Warriors still let Paul go.

Green
Kuminga
Klay
LaVine
Curry
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,405

Post#19 » by brackdan70 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:59 pm

This is one team that I really think should blow it up, do a hard reset, reboot or whatever you want to call it. Treading in mediocrity, with pre season hope that lasts a week into the season doesn’t seem great to me.
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,405

Post#20 » by brackdan70 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:19 pm

Build around White, Williams, Dosunmo and Caruso. Let DD sign elsewhere, try to trade Lavine and Vucivic. Pray that Ball doesn’t pick up his option.
Sign some good players in free agency at good tradable contracts…don’t go star hunting yet.
, unless the opportunity materializes.
Let it be **** next year and draft smart in 2025, then look to add star level guys that fit with your core 4. Should be able to get a max slot for free agency and potentially via trade. Be patient. It might take a couple years to materialize but 2025 and 2026 drafts should be good
Sign here

Return to Trades and Transactions