Instant Reaction: What Do The Bulls Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,411

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Bulls Do This Off-Season? 

Post#21 » by brackdan70 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:21 pm

Wolveswin wrote:LaVine to Warriors. I think GSW system thinks they could save LaVine and be the big splash they need for being all-in on Curry’s remaining years.

Wiggins + GP2 + Moody

Warriors still let Paul go.

Green
Kuminga
Klay
LaVine
Curry

I like that for Chicago if they could pull it off. Risky bet for GSW, but it could work out.
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,411

Post#22 » by brackdan70 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:28 pm

In what trade did they send there 2025 pick to San Antonio? Looks like top 10 protected. Cant let that convey.
Sign here
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,929

Post#23 » by ChettheJet » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:22 pm

I don't believe that management can take the risk of bringing back the same roster AGAIN after being one game worse and exiting at the same time. Not after sitting out the deadline two years in a row. Yeah Lavine was injured, yeah Williams got hurt but they knew what they had behind them and made no moves. They do not have a young inexperienced team at all. DeRozan, Vucevic, Lavine, Carter, Craig, Drummond should be pulling White, Dosunmu, Williams, Terry, Phillips along and they have had ample opportunities the last 3 years and they're 4 games under .500 and not in the playoffs again. Those veterans are just not going to take 2 steps back so that list of young guys can get more minutes, gain regular season experience so by the end of next season they're either in the playoffs or get past the play in.

I won't rehash what I explained over on the blow up thread they should probably end up with after trading their veterans to teams that think they will get them over the next hump

White Dosunmu pray for Lonzo
Lavine
Drummond Sanogo
Williams a real shooter Bitim
a new PF Craig Phillips

who they can get for DeRozan, Caruso, Vucevic, Carter, even Lavine who they draft, some FAs
ChettheJet
Head Coach

Post#24 » by ChettheJet » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:23 pm

brackdan70 wrote:In what trade did they send there 2025 pick to San Antonio? Looks like top 10 protected. Cant let that convey.

S&T for Demar DeRozan
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,467

Post#25 » by oldncreaky » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:11 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:try and find a taker for LaVine and he ends up in Detroit for something face savey but of no real value. Re-sign DD. Take the LaVine money and find a starting PF and play for 10th again.

I sincerely hope that Detroit doesn't bite on Lavine

I'd much rather Detroit try and fill the talent hole at F with a solid vet like Tobias Harris or (better IMO) Derozan who can also help with the locker-room culture
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,059

Post#26 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:19 pm

oldncreaky wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:try and find a taker for LaVine and he ends up in Detroit for something face savey but of no real value. Re-sign DD. Take the LaVine money and find a starting PF and play for 10th again.

I'd much rather Detroit try and fill the talent hole at F with a solid vet like Tobias Harris or (better IMO) Derozan who can also help with the locker-room culture

Oh I don't think Detroit should do that. But do I think it possible if all it costs them is taking on the contract? Yeah I think I do.

Detroit is in such a bad spot because they still aren't sure if any of the young players are core, not even Cade. And they really need to know that. What I think they should do is overpay some vets on 2 year deals who can just provide a stable environment to see what some of these kids really are. Basically like what Houston just did. The idea isn't so much winning 38 games instead of 18 but rather to see how players fit into an actual NBA lineup.

But Detroit probably also feels like they need to make a splash to excite the majority of the fanbase and they can sell Zach far easier than they can sell Tyus Jones and Tobias Harris.

I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit did like Klay and Bridges. I'd hate it, but I'd get it.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,467

Post#27 » by oldncreaky » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:41 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
oldncreaky wrote:

Oh I don't think Detroit should do that. But do I think it possible if all it costs them is taking on the contract? Yeah I think I do.

Detroit is in such a bad spot because they still aren't sure if any of the young players are core, not even Cade. And they really need to know that. What I think they should do is overpay some vets on 2 year deals who can just provide a stable environment to see what some of these kids really are. Basically like what Houston just did. The idea isn't so much winning 38 games instead of 18 but rather to see how players fit into an actual NBA lineup.

But Detroit probably also feels like they need to make a splash to excite the majority of the fanbase and they can sell Zach far easier than they can sell Tyus Jones and Tobias Harris.

I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit did like Klay and Bridges. I'd hate it, but I'd get it.

Yeah, I agree that which (if any) of our current players are worth building around remains fuzzy, and that getting some good vets on short contracts to provide some leadership until a young core emerges is the approach Detroit should take.

I think you might be underestimating the fan base -- or at least, I hope you are -- in thinking that the "flash" of Zach is an easier sell than Tyus + Tobi or equivalent. The Detroit fan base includes a lot of guys who've been following for a very long time, and there's still a bit of a hangover from the attempt to market "flash" with a past-prime Blake Griffin. There's little interest in Zach on the Detroit board for what that is worth.

As to what the key decision makers (Gores/Weaver/PBO who is TBD) think, I've got no clue and even less confidence.

And I'm increasingly on the Derozan to Detroit bandwagon -- can't think of an available FA who would be better at setting culture. Definitely possible as long as Casey remains part of the FO, and lord knows we can afford Demar and outbid anyone.
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,059

Post#28 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:45 pm

oldncreaky wrote:I think you might be underestimating the fan base -- or at least, I hope you are -- in thinking that the "flash" of Zach is an easier sell than Tyus + Tobi or equivalent. The Detroit fan base includes a lot of guys who've been following for a very long time, and there's still a bit of a hangover from the attempt to market "flash" with a past-prime Blake Griffin. There's little interest in Zach on the Detroit board for what that is worth.

Fair enough. I definitely might be. I don't really have a handle on what kind of fanbase the Pistons have a whole. I just know most fanbases are made up mostly of more casual fans--certainly the Mavs fanbase is like that. I know the Pistons fanbase on realGM is realistic and pragmatic and knows better for sure. And if you are telling me that's fairly reflective of the wider fanbase certainly you have a better read than me.

And how Blake blew up in their face is a relevant point I had not been considering. Much like Pistons AI, I just sort of forget it ever happened. :D
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,615

Post#29 » by NYG » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:50 pm

If the Bulls are stuck with LaVine and re-sign DeMar... they might as well keep Caruso too?
NYG
RealGM

Post#30 » by NYG » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:17 am

Alex Caruso for Jarred Vanderbilt and 18th Overall?
NYG
RealGM

Post#31 » by NYG » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:20 am

LaVine for Poole and Kuzma?
NYG
RealGM

Post#32 » by NYG » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:26 am

Or what about LaVine to the 76ers? Beal went to a team that was a bit desperate to retool around their stars. I could see Philly getting there with Embiid if no other stars present themselves on the market via trade or free agency.

Team X salary and incentive to the 76ers (absorbed via cap space)
Team Y salary and incentive to the 76ers (absorbed via cap space)

Zach LaVine to the 76ers for Team X and Team Y Salary and Incentive
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#33 » by TimeisIllmatic » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:35 pm

NYG wrote:Alex Caruso for Jarred Vanderbilt and 18th Overall?

I like Caruso a lot but I don't think the Lakers do this deal. I'd rather them use this pick to get a good big man.
NYG
RealGM

Post#34 » by NYG » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:38 am

I know it's not the perfect fit, but I think Orlando needs a veteran more than a rookie right now.

Caruso for 18th Overall?
ChettheJet
Head Coach

Post#35 » by ChettheJet » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

I'm not normally sold on getting multiple picks in the same draft. Two raw kids with limited playing time is not good. The claim by some is this year is a weak draft. But for the Bulls I like getting #18, while keeping their own lottery pick, for Caruso. Even though ORL has extra picks and a very young team I just doubt they like this. The problem would be Caruso on an expiring contract, it's not like he's going infuse the toughness, defensive mindset and leadership in the 65 games he is able to play before he looks for a new contract.

As for the Lavine to the 76ers notion. Much depends on just salary for how many years the Bulls are getting from Team X and Y. Yeah there might have to be 2 1st round picks or 1 and a couple of 2nds as incentive but they would be fine coming in 2025, 26, 28 even.

Kuzma the Bulls could do with, paired with Patrick Williams. No way the Bulls want Poole who thinks he's a underused scorer and budding star when he would be behind White and Dosunmu with the long contract.
NYG
RealGM

Post#36 » by NYG » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:21 pm

ChettheJet wrote:I'm not normally sold on getting multiple picks in the same draft. Two raw kids with limited playing time is not good. The claim by some is this year is a weak draft. But for the Bulls I like getting #18, while keeping their own lottery pick, for Caruso. Even though ORL has extra picks and a very young team I just doubt they like this. The problem would be Caruso on an expiring contract, it's not like he's going infuse the toughness, defensive mindset and leadership in the 65 games he is able to play before he looks for a new contract.

As for the Lavine to the 76ers notion. Much depends on just salary for how many years the Bulls are getting from Team X and Y. Yeah there might have to be 2 1st round picks or 1 and a couple of 2nds as incentive but they would be fine coming in 2025, 26, 28 even.

Kuzma the Bulls could do with, paired with Patrick Williams. No way the Bulls want Poole who thinks he's a underused scorer and budding star when he would be behind White and Dosunmu with the long contract.

I saw something in another thread that would be so Bulls

Dejounte (buddies with LaVine) for Caruso and Coby

You probably keep Williams and DeRozan then too... maybe try to upgrade center with a Vuc and 11 deal?
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,334

Post#37 » by coldfish » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:52 am

What should they do: Blow it the hell up. Should have happened forever ago.
What will they do: Trade Lavine, bring everyone else back and win 38 games on their way to losing in the play in again
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,601

Post#38 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:18 am

Since the topic is what do the Bulls do, not what should they do:
Trade Caruso after all, possibly half a season too late. (Draft night, or probably 2-3 days before draft because why wait when you are late...). Then draft a new forward. Then let Williams walk, surprising some, but getting back a 2nd in a S&T. Then when everyone starts to think this is a good tank set up, re-sign DD. Sign a random vet for what, the tax MLE? And get ready to pop the 11th best champagne.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,328

Post#39 » by Godaddycurse » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:35 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:Since the topic is what do the Bulls do, not what should they do:
Trade Caruso after all, possibly half a season too late. (Draft night, or probably 2-3 days before draft because why wait when you are late...). Then draft a new forward. Then let Williams walk, surprising some, but getting back a 2nd in a S&T. Then when everyone starts to think this is a good tank set up, re-sign DD. Sign a random vet for what, the tax MLE? And get ready to pop the 11th best champagne.

I imagine they will pull a Utah midseason to keep their top 10 protected pick
NYG
RealGM

Post#40 » by NYG » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:35 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:Since the topic is what do the Bulls do, not what should they do:

Coby and Caruso for Dejounte feels right to me. They would still be what a MAX ceiling of 5 seed after retaining DeMar and PWill

Return to Trades and Transactions