Where does DeMar go?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,675

Re: Where does DeMar go? 

Post#21 » by toooskies » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:09 pm

oldncreaky wrote:I think DeRozen has 2 possible futures, regardless of team. He could either be (1) a killer 6th-man on a contender, or (2) a culture setter on a young team.

Option 1 would likely mean ring-chasing, and his salary would probably top out around the NTMLE

Options 2 could get him paid pretty handsomely. I'd love him on the Pistons as a culture setter, and we could easily afford to overpay him on a near-max 2 year deal.

For option 1, the Cavs may want to turn LeVert into DeRozan like they turned Osman into Strus. Particularly if they make other moves for fit.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,402

Post#22 » by DaddyCool19 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:21 pm

How about Philly, if they can't land Paul George?
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,524

Post#23 » by LofJ » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:43 pm

I think he'll end up signing with the Thunder. They need some savvy veterans and they're on the verge of competing for a championship. It they offer him a contract it's hard to see DeRozan turning it down, he couldn't ask for a better fit/opportunity at this point in his career.
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,767

Post#24 » by MessiahUjiri » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:44 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:How about Philly, if they can't land Paul George?

Philly makes the most sense.

They can offer him good money, a chance to win, and unite with Kyle Lowry and Nick Nurse. That’s a trifecta.

Anything other than Philly is a huge tradeoff on something (eg a big discount to play in LA)

Imagine Philly comes out with this:

Maxey / DDR /Oubre / Harris / Embiid
Lowry / Buddy / Batum / Reid

Maybe add another backcourt defender in there, and that is a championship level roster IMO.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#25 » by toooskies » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:30 pm

MessiahUjiri wrote:

They can offer him good money, a chance to win, and unite with Kyle Lowry and Nick Nurse. That’s a trifecta.

Anything other than Philly is a huge tradeoff on something (eg a big discount to play in LA)

Maybe add another backcourt defender in there, and that is a championship level roster IMO.

Philly can't both offer DDR a lot of money as well as keep Buddy/Oubre/Harris, and Batum is retiring.
wegotthabeet
Veteran
And1: 1,956

Post#26 » by wegotthabeet » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:53 pm

Lakers S&T.
jibba jones
Junior
And1: 115

Post#27 » by jibba jones » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:54 pm

He could get paid in Orlando.
Up and coming team that could use his offense and experience.
bela lugosi is dead
jjohns828
Bench Warmer
And1: 516

Post#28 » by jjohns828 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:24 pm

jibba jones wrote:He could get paid in Orlando.

I really think the offensive upgrade we need is at PG and needs to include 3pt shooting so I don't really see him as being a good fit.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,200

Post#29 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:50 pm

Philly or The Knicks make the most sense. Philly could use a go to scorer to take pressure off Embiid and Maxey especially when Embiid goes down.

New York does this if they miss out on Mitchell.
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
neno
Rookie
And1: 918

Post#30 » by neno » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:52 pm

Nothing wrong with DeRozan that a celtics jersey couldn't fix
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,767

Post#31 » by MessiahUjiri » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:29 am

toooskies wrote:
MessiahUjiri wrote:

Philly can't both offer DDR a lot of money as well as keep Buddy/Oubre/Harris, and Batum is retiring.

Good catch on Batum.

Philly has bird rights on Buddy & Harris, so they should be able to exceed the cap and resign them. I imagine offering Oubre the MLE.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#32 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:39 am

neno wrote:Nothing wrong with DeRozan that a celtics jersey couldn't fix
What does a DeRozan to Boston deal look like? Can Boston fit in DeRozan, Tatum, Brown, White, Porzingis and Holiday? Holiday or Porzingis probably would have to go and both are more important to their team than DeRozan.
jibba jones
Junior
And1: 115

Post#33 » by jibba jones » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:51 am

jjohns828 wrote:
jibba jones wrote:He could get paid in Orlando.

I really think the offensive upgrade we need is at PG and needs to include 3pt shooting so I don't really see him as being a good fit.

I agree but what ideal point is out there? I dont think they pay for Trae Young and are more likely to target a guy like Ty Jones (who they could afford to add in conjunction with Demar).

I just think talent in the backcourt is talent in the backcourt and should add at the 1 or the 2. I like what he would bring and all he would cost is money.
bela lugosi is dead
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,807

Post#34 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:14 am

MessiahUjiri wrote:
toooskies wrote:
MessiahUjiri wrote:

Good catch on Batum.

Philly has bird rights on Buddy & Harris, so they should be able to exceed the cap and resign them. I imagine offering Oubre the MLE.

Can Philly get seriously under the cap without renouncing the FAs it wants to keep?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,807

Post#35 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:16 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:
What does a DeRozan to Boston deal look like? Can Boston fit in DeRozan, Tatum, Brown, White, Porzingis and Holiday? Holiday or Porzingis probably would have to go and both are more important to their team than DeRozan.

The fit is hard to see.

Nor will it be easy for the Cs to pay more than minimum salary, given the various salary cap rules.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#36 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:36 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:

The fit is hard to see.

Nor will it be easy for the Cs to pay more than minimum salary, given the various salary cap rules.
This is why I quoted "neno" DeRozan isn't going sign for the MLE or league minimum for Boston. Boston is a very good team and moving 2 if not 3 of White/Holiday/Porzingis/Horford is asinine just to get DeRozan.

Is OKC a sneaky/dark horse team? They are right there to compete and renouncing the cap hold of Hayward should get them the money they need. Shai and DeRozan would be a good fit
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,900

Post#37 » by JustBuzzin » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:40 am

Yeah seems like Philly might be his destination. His best friend is Lowry. They most likely will miss out on Paul George. Derozan is the next best wing available.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#38 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:55 pm

I think the Sixers make a strong push for him as a 3rd wheel because Tobias Harris will get a bloated contract again given lack of options for 4s in free agency. Bulls or Sixers.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#39 » by toooskies » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:09 pm

MessiahUjiri wrote:
toooskies wrote:
MessiahUjiri wrote:

Good catch on Batum.

Bird Rights come with a cap hold for the player's expected salary, which typically includes a hefty raise built into the cap number. If you want to use your hypothetical space, you have to rescind the cap holds, which means you lose their Bird rights. If you, say, re-sign Hield and Harris to lower numbers that's fine, but they're never lower on the cap than their new salary. If you re-sign any of them you reduce the available cap space you have. Harris has a $46m cap hold and Hield's is $29m. (Melton's is $15m and RoCo's is $17.5m.)

Maxey's salary allows you to circumvent the cap some (his cap hold is $13m and he'll make $40m or so-- you do all your other offseason signings and then extend him last in the contract signing order, even though you might come to an agreement as soon as free agency opens). But in the scenarios where they offer DeRozan $25m+, they're likely losing Buddy and/or Harris unless they're giving Philly a discount. They might keep Oubre at the MLE but that means no one else is offering him that or more.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,299

Post#40 » by cgf » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:13 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Chicago probably gives him big money for 2 years and an option and he sticks around.

This has been my expectation, but those recent comments make me wonder if he isn't still tempted to ring chase...despite how much he's seemed to embrace his role in Chicago as an on court leader and mentor for those young bulls.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!

Return to Trades and Transactions