Where does DeMar go?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

mg
General Manager
And1: 4,038

Re: Where does DeMar go? 

Post#41 » by mg » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:02 pm

cgf wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Chicago probably gives him big money for 2 years and an option and he sticks around.

This has been my expectation, but those recent comments make me wonder if he isn't still tempted to ring chase...despite how much he's seemed to embrace his role in Chicago as an on court leader and mentor for those young bulls.

I think this happens too. The Bulls could give a handshake agreement to deal him to a contender at the deadline or next summer.

Philly makes the most sense if he actually signs elsewhere.
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,767

Post#42 » by MessiahUjiri » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:51 pm

toooskies wrote:
MessiahUjiri wrote:
toooskies wrote:Philly can't both offer DDR a lot of money as well as keep Buddy/Oubre/Harris, and Batum is retiring.

Good catch on Batum.

Philly has bird rights on Buddy & Harris, so they should be able to exceed the cap and resign them. I imagine offering Oubre the MLE.

Bird Rights come with a cap hold for the player's expected salary, which typically includes a hefty raise built into the cap number. If you want to use your hypothetical space, you have to rescind the cap holds, which means you lose their Bird rights. If you, say, re-sign Hield and Harris to lower numbers that's fine, but they're never lower on the cap than their new salary. If you re-sign any of them you reduce the available cap space you have. Harris has a $46m cap hold and Hield's is $29m. (Melton's is $15m and RoCo's is $17.5m.)

Maxey's salary allows you to circumvent the cap some (his cap hold is $13m and he'll make $40m or so-- you do all your other offseason signings and then extend him last in the contract signing order, even though you might come to an agreement as soon as free agency opens). But in the scenarios where they offer DeRozan $25m+, they're likely losing Buddy and/or Harris unless they're giving Philly a discount. They might keep Oubre at the MLE but that means no one else is offering him that or more.

Great post.

Harris is highly rumored to get overpaid by Detroit, so that makes it easier. Harris out, DeMar in.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2024/02/09/tobias-harris-detroit-pistons-nba-free-agency-cap-space-2024/72538113007/
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,532

Post#43 » by jayjaysee » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:50 pm

I think Philly needs to aim higher, but a double sign and trade does make some sense for both. Or Chicago just ending up with a big TPE and a couple 2nds, while Harris ends up in Detroit.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#44 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:18 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I think Philly needs to aim higher, but a double sign and trade does make some sense for both. Or Chicago just ending up with a big TPE and a couple 2nds, while Harris ends up in Detroit.

Its tough to aim higher w/ a FA class like this. Its basically PG13 or bust, and you have to think Harden is whispering in Georges' ear about Morey.

I actually like SAS overpaying for him on a 2-year deal. Great locker room guy and vet mentor for Wemby, gives them a 2nd guy that can get a bucket in crunch time, one issue would be shooting but I think they have the assets to come out of the summer w/ a FA addition like DeRozan and a 3PT bomber like Herro or Simons.

I like them trading for Simons (Graham + 1-2 FRP), signing DeRozan and drafting Topic.

G - Anfernee Simons / Tre Jones
G - Devin Vassell / Nikola Topic
F - Demar DeRozan / Keldon Johnson
F - Jeremy Sochan / Demar DeRozan
C - Victoy Wembanyama / Zach Collins
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,532

Post#45 » by jayjaysee » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:39 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:I think Philly needs to aim higher, but a double sign and trade does make some sense for both. Or Chicago just ending up with a big TPE and a couple 2nds, while Harris ends up in Detroit.

Its tough to aim higher w/ a FA class like this. Its basically PG13 or bust, and you have to think Harden is whispering in Georges' ear about Morey.

Yeah, but without PG or either of the former Raptors..

Morey should go exploring what Paul Reed, 20th pick, and 3-? firsts get you..

Philly should be all in and Demar for Harris feels like a bandaid or deck chairs.. They should do it if it’s the best move, it’ll be cheap and they can always trade Demar in 6 months or a year..

With the unguarantee contracts (including Reed) and the salary slot for 20th.. Philly can get creative. And it looks like they need to honestly.

SAS should Add some smart vets, definitely.. But I’d rather stay bad until the youth win games. The team will be so much better off in 5 years if they don’t rush. If they’re playing 500 ball, make a big move or be aggressive in summer of 2025. If they’re a bottom 5 team, trade Vassell and try again.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,863

Post#46 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:17 pm

My gut says Chicago gives him a big 2-year deal to preserve a trade asset. He gets his money, puts up stats, then they'll probably work out a preferable destination and flip him at the next deadline. Another scenario is he's the guy the Sixers overpay in free agency once PG re-signs with the Clippers. Doubt DeMar has any desire to take a massive pay-cut just to play for an LA team.

Return to Trades and Transactions