Miami-New Orleans-Cleveland

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,073

Re: Miami-New Orleans-Cleveland 

Post#41 » by tidho » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:01 pm

toooskies wrote:If he doesn't commit by... July 1? If we change coaches or even the whole front office, then when Mitchell adjusts to the new regime? End of summer? Trade deadline?

And again, we still have significant leverage over him even if it gets to free agency. We can offer more lucrative options than just slightly higher raises, unlike most free agent options. The team with Mitchell's Bird rights is the only team that can get him to a supermax in year 10. Sign-and-trades or free agent departures both require him to sign at least one year over the 10-year career number.

And BTW, I greatly enjoy Mitchell getting on team planes wearing a Brownie the Elf hat. For a guy everyone thinks will leave, he sure does try to make you think he likes where he is.

Ideally it's by draft night, which is June 26. It's not like he's not going to know if he wants to be here. If he wants to sign and trade it's in his best interest to do it when he'll have the most options too - which is early.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,676

Post#42 » by toooskies » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:11 pm

tidho wrote:
toooskies wrote:If he doesn't commit by... July 1? If we change coaches or even the whole front office, then when Mitchell adjusts to the new regime? End of summer? Trade deadline?

And again, we still have significant leverage over him even if it gets to free agency. We can offer more lucrative options than just slightly higher raises, unlike most free agent options. The team with Mitchell's Bird rights is the only team that can get him to a supermax in year 10. Sign-and-trades or free agent departures both require him to sign at least one year over the 10-year career number.

And BTW, I greatly enjoy Mitchell getting on team planes wearing a Brownie the Elf hat. For a guy everyone thinks will leave, he sure does try to make you think he likes where he is.

Ideally it's by draft night, which is June 26. It's not like he's not going to know if he wants to be here. If he wants to sign and trade it's in his best interest to do it when he'll have the most options too - which is early.

See, I disagree that there's even that timeline on it. Mitchell may want to come back but not commit long-term until he sees whether the situation has improved. He might say that the Cavs need to make a win-now trade for him to extend, and then the Cavs need to determine what they can do with the other pieces they have. He might want to see if Garland can come back healthy and productive, or see if Mobley can actually take a leap.

He might be obtainable on the market by draft ay, but there's no hurry to move him, particularly if the initial offers are underwhelming.
dubasilva
Junior
And1: 446

Post#43 » by dubasilva » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:45 am

DowJones wrote:Miami Trades
-Tyler Herro
-Jaime Jaquez Jr
-2029 unprotected 1st
-2031 unprotected 1st

Miami Receives
-Donovan Mitchell

New Orleans Trades
-Brandon Ingram
-Larry Nance

New Orleans Receives
-Jarrett Allen
-Tyler Herro

Cleveland Trades
-Donovan Mitchell
-Jarrett Allen

Cleveland Receives
-Jaime Jaquez Jr
-Brandon Ingram
-Larry Nance
-2029 Miami unprotected 1st
-2031 Miami unprotected 1st

-Miami gets the lead guard they desperately need. Mitchell makes the Heat a contender from day 1 and he is young enough to team with Bam to keep Miami competitive after Butler is gone

-New Orleans gets the center they want to replace Val plus a sweet-shooting SG that can transition to the bench so that Murphy gets the starting nod.

-Cleveland does the best they can if Mitchell refuses to extend. I don't know what kind of assurance the Cavs can get that Ingram would accept a max offer, so that could tank things. Garland-Strus-Ingram-Jacquez-Mobley is a darn good starting lineup.

This might be a trade that all 3 teams disagree on. :D

As a Heat fan, where do I sign? I'd do that in a second. Then we can figure out Rozier later.

Return to Trades and Transactions