Instant Reaction: What Do The Kings Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,541

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Kings Do This Off-Season? 

Post#141 » by jayjaysee » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:58 am

OxAndFox wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Think overall you're correct with how the contract could go if he essentially leaves the Kings, but I don't see anyone going that high.
Honestly, I think the Kings' number is at the very high end of what a team should go to on a Monk contract. Now we all know FOs do extreme things sometimes, but would the Spurs be comfortable potentially paying guards around $90m next season? Trades can be made etc, but I don't see a Monk/Vassell with Jones/Johnson off the bench a great option.
Orlando would certainly be easier, but with all those young guards they will need to do something very quickly or their value diminishes. I wonder what their FO is thinking. Good problem to have though for sure.

I agree he probably is only worth what Sac can offer him..

But a 24 million front loaded 4 year deal gives Monk 10~ million more than Sac can and the back two years (the ones that matter for Orlando) end up pretty similar to Sac’s back loaded offer. And with the raising cap, I think he’ll be worth 20 million in 2-3 years.. So it’s a pretty safe contract, a slight overpay in years that don’t impact the cap..

Once Orlando gets to 4yr100 (27-28 first year declining) I think it’s a clear negative. But contracts are only negative when you try to trade the player. If Orlando is confident that Monk can play 28-30 minutes and help the team advance..
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,148

Post#142 » by OxAndFox » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:03 am

jayjaysee wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

Think overall you're correct with how the contract could go if he essentially leaves the Kings, but I don't see anyone going that high.
Honestly, I think the Kings' number is at the very high end of what a team should go to on a Monk contract. Now we all know FOs do extreme things sometimes, but would the Spurs be comfortable potentially paying guards around $90m next season? Trades can be made etc, but I don't see a Monk/Vassell with Jones/Johnson off the bench a great option.
Orlando would certainly be easier, but with all those young guards they will need to do something very quickly or their value diminishes. I wonder what their FO is thinking. Good problem to have though for sure.

I agree he probably is only worth what Sac can offer him..

But a 24 million front loaded 4 year deal gives Monk 10~ million more than Sac can and the back two years (the ones that matter for Orlando) end up pretty similar to Sac’s back loaded offer. And with the raising cap, I think he’ll be worth 20 million in 2-3 years.. So it’s a pretty safe contract, a slight overpay in years that don’t impact the cap..

Once Orlando gets to 4yr100 (27-28 first year declining) I think it’s a clear negative. But contracts are only negative when you try to trade the player. If Orlando is confident that Monk can play 28-30 minutes and help the team advance..

Excellent points. FWIW to people, it would seem Sacramento media is split on it. Some believe he is 100% gone and he will definitely getting mid $20m. Some lean towards what others around his play have received in recent times.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#143 » by blind prophet » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:37 pm

I'd like to consider Thybulle some.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,458

Post#144 » by JRoy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:40 pm

blind prophet wrote:I'd like to consider Thybulle some.

What’s the offer?
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#145 » by blind prophet » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:13 pm

JRoy wrote:

What’s the offer?

Vezenkov

Return Portland 2025 second
Future Sac second in any draft 2025-2029
JRoy
RealGM

Post#146 » by JRoy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:16 pm

blind prophet wrote:
JRoy wrote:

What’s the offer?

Vezenkov

I think I’d pass on that for POR, though it’s not far off. Don’t know much about Vezenkov.
Edrees wrote:

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#147 » by blind prophet » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:24 pm

JRoy wrote:
blind prophet wrote:
JRoy wrote:
What’s the offer?

Vezenkov

I think I’d pass on that for POR, though it’s not far off. Don’t know much about Vezenkov.

Vezenkov has elite 3 fg potential with a quick release. Team option on contract after next season I believe.

But you are paying a premium on that potential.

Lacks NBA athleticism.

For Portland Thybs has a player option that second season.

So it's potential with team control & some seconds.

If I'm Portland I would move him before next deadline. Could be too early to take my offer.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,043

Post#148 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:27 pm

Barnes + Duarte + #13 for Smart + #37
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,504

Post#149 » by pillwenney » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:52 pm

Colbinii wrote:Barnes + Duarte + #13 for Smart + #37

Would Memphis really consider this?
JRoy
RealGM

Post#150 » by JRoy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:54 pm

MEM probably not looking to downgrade. If healthy they are in mix for a deep PO run.
Edrees wrote:

Colbinii
RealGM

Post#151 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:56 pm

pillwenney wrote:

No idea, he was traded for a future 1st and Tyus Jones before. I think this deal is fair value for him, and Memphis receiving a plug-and-play veteran in Barnes along with a late lottery pick seems like the best possible value for Smart.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#152 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:57 pm

JRoy wrote:MEM probably not looking to downgrade. If healthy they are in mix for a deep PO run.

This doesn't need to be a big downgrade.

First of all, Smart isn't some massive game changing player. The difference between Smart and Barnes isn't drastic. Second, Memphis will have both #7 AND #13 here, which gives them flexibility to upgrade another position if they wish with one or both of those picks, or pick with one and trade one, ect.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
JRoy
RealGM

Post#153 » by JRoy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:38 pm

Colbinii wrote:
JRoy wrote:MEM probably not looking to downgrade. If healthy they are in mix for a deep PO run.

First of all, Smart isn't some massive game changing player. The difference between Smart and Barnes isn't drastic. Second, Memphis will have both #7 AND #13 here, which gives them flexibility to upgrade another position if they wish with one or both of those picks, or pick with one and trade one, ect.

Smart is an elite defensive player. Does Barnes have any elite skill?

You might be right but I think a healthy MEM squad would want a win now upgrade, not picks.
Edrees wrote:

Colbinii
RealGM

Post#154 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:45 pm

JRoy wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Matisse Thybulle and Josh Okogie are elite defensive players. Neither help a team win more than Harrison Barnes.

Smart is better offensively than there players, but it's foolish to act like a player who is elite at one thing and poor at many other aspects of basketball is better than a well-rounded player with no real weaknesses.

You might be right but I think a healthy MEM squad would want a win now upgrade, not picks.

I think they can do both. They have operated as doing both for the past 2 seasons.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
JRoy
RealGM

Post#155 » by JRoy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Colbinii wrote:
JRoy wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Matisse Thybulle and Josh Okogie are elite defensive players. Neither help a team win more than Harrison Barnes.

Smart is better offensively than there players, but it's foolish to act like a player who is elite at one thing and poor at many other aspects of basketball is better than a well-rounded player with no real weaknesses.

I think they can do both. They have operated as doing both for the past 2 seasons.

It’s also foolish to act like a recent DPOTY is available for a ham and egger like Barnes and a pick.

MEM is looking to win. I guess they might go for something like this if they felt like Smart wasn’t working out.
Edrees wrote:

Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,333

Post#156 » by Godaddycurse » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:14 pm

Colbinii wrote:
pillwenney wrote:

No idea, he was traded for a future 1st and Tyus Jones before. I think this deal is fair value for him, and Memphis receiving a plug-and-play veteran in Barnes along with a late lottery pick seems like the best possible value for Smart.

He was traded for Jones, 25th pick last yr and 14th pick this year. I dont think they will backtrack without giving the healthy core a run first.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,539

Post#157 » by codydaze » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:21 pm

JRoy wrote:
blind prophet wrote:
JRoy wrote:
What’s the offer?

Vezenkov

What type of return are you guys looking to get for Brogdon if he's available?
JRoy
RealGM

Post#158 » by JRoy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:25 pm

codydaze wrote:
JRoy wrote:
blind prophet wrote:
Vezenkov

Late FRP
Edrees wrote:

codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,539

Post#159 » by codydaze » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:30 pm

JRoy wrote:
codydaze wrote:
JRoy wrote:

Late FRP

Would something like Barnes, Sashsa, Davion, #13 for Brogdon, Thybulle be considered?
JRoy
RealGM

Post#160 » by JRoy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:31 pm

codydaze wrote:
JRoy wrote:
codydaze wrote:

Late FRP

Would something like Barnes, Sashsa, Davion, #13 for Brogdon, Thybulle be considered?

I cannot imagine POR would say no to that. Would throw in a SRP to make more fair for SAC.
Edrees wrote:

Return to Trades and Transactions