Instant Reaction: What Do The Kings Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,550

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Kings Do This Off-Season? 

Post#161 » by jayjaysee » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:32 pm

I’m pretty confident in Ellis continuing his development. And still believe Murray could be my third star..

I still like working with Portland with 2 of Grant/Thybulle/Brogdon.

I’d call Dallas about PJ. I don’t think Dallas will be as dramatic this offseason as I would be, but I still love the Murray/PJ/Sabonis group even though PJ switched teams..
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,064

Post#162 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:47 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
pillwenney wrote:
Would Memphis really consider this?

No idea, he was traded for a future 1st and Tyus Jones before. I think this deal is fair value for him, and Memphis receiving a plug-and-play veteran in Barnes along with a late lottery pick seems like the best possible value for Smart.

He was traded for Jones, 25th pick last yr and 14th pick this year. I dont think they will backtrack without giving the healthy core a run first.

He was traded for Jones, Pick #25 and A FUTURE 1st. The pick happened to be #14, but it was also a year away.

Smart isn't any better than he was last year. He was hurt. I see Barnes + Lyles + #13 as similar to Jones + #25 + Future 1st
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,248

Post#163 » by blind prophet » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:35 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I’m pretty confident in Ellis continuing his development. And still believe Murray could be my third star..

I’d call Dallas about PJ. I don’t think Dallas will be as dramatic this offseason as I would be, but I still love the Murray/PJ/Sabonis group even though PJ switched teams..

Ellis is on a cheap contract. We should make significant moves without considering him much. What we do not want to do is use any salary for later bench roles he can handle.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,550

Post#164 » by jayjaysee » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:41 pm

blind prophet wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:I’m pretty confident in Ellis continuing his development. And still believe Murray could be my third star..

Ellis is on a cheap contract. We should make significant moves without considering him much. What we do not want to do is use any salary for later bench roles he can handle.

Yeah, I think Ellis can be penciled into the rotation next year. Maybe “confident” was strong wording on my part. But it’s nice to have a guy you want playing 20-24 mpg making so little..
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,556

Post#165 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:47 pm

I think the Kings shouldn't make a major move yet, hope the young development and role players come together for a big season next year.

They remind me of Raptors in Lowry/Derozan era, both second tier star combos were never going to win the title, but were a good starting point after years of losing.

2014: Breakout 48 W season, lose to Nets in 7
2015: 49 Ws but it feels worse, Lou Will messes up the chemistry, Lowry is injured by playoffs, swept by Wizards
2016: 56 Ws ECF

After similarly not taking a step forward this year it's plausible the Kings could have that type of 55 W season next year, even if not a real contender.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,148

Post#166 » by OxAndFox » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:54 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:I think the Kings shouldn't make a major move yet, hope the young development and role players come together for a big season next year.

They remind me of Raptors in Lowry/Derozan era, both second tier star combos were never going to win the title, but were a good starting point after years of losing.

2015: 49 Ws but it feels worse, Lou Will messes up the chemistry, Lowry is injured by playoffs, swept by Wizards

After similarly not taking a step forward this year it's plausible the Kings could have that type of 55 W season next year, even if not a real contender.

I think this is a very good comparison. Toronto seemed to grab young athletic guys though and turn them into players that were at least valuable.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#167 » by Colbinii » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:03 am

OxAndFox wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:I think the Kings shouldn't make a major move yet, hope the young development and role players come together for a big season next year.

I think this is a very good comparison. Toronto seemed to grab young athletic guys though and turn them into players that were at least valuable.

OG, sure. Poeltl and FVV weren't exactly athletic.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,345

Post#168 » by Godaddycurse » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:10 am

Colbinii wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

I think he was referring to powell and siakam too
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#169 » by Colbinii » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:38 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

Yup, more so Siakam than Powell.

But "at least valuable" sort of undersells Siakam since he was a high-end NBA talent.

Sacramento is doing the same.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,203

Post#170 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:43 am

Been seeing a lot of stuff in discord and different sites linking Sacramento to Capela or Okongwu depending on if Atlanta moves one
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#171 » by OxAndFox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:10 am

Colbinii wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Yup, more so Siakam than Powell.

But "at least valuable" sort of undersells Siakam since he was a high-end NBA talent.

Sacramento is doing the same.

Yep. OG. Siakam. Powell. Obviously varying talent levels, but don't forget Siakam was selected 27th. He wasn't a high end NBA talent right out of the gate and he popped in his 3rd season.
I think you can see a switch from the Carroll, JV, Corey Joseph, Tucker, Patterson Raptors to then moving toward more athletic players (not all in 1 year) that resulted in Ibaka, Kawhi, Siakam and OG around Gasol/FVV/Lowry for a championship.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,300

Post#172 » by SNPA » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:33 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:Been seeing a lot of stuff in discord and different sites linking Sacramento to Capela or Okongwu depending on if Atlanta moves one

Okongwu could make sense for Sac.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,866

Post#173 » by psman2 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:06 am

Colbinii wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
No idea, he was traded for a future 1st and Tyus Jones before. I think this deal is fair value for him, and Memphis receiving a plug-and-play veteran in Barnes along with a late lottery pick seems like the best possible value for Smart.

He was traded for Jones, 25th pick last yr and 14th pick this year. I dont think they will backtrack without giving the healthy core a run first.

He was traded for Jones, Pick #25 and A FUTURE 1st. The pick happened to be #14, but it was also a year away.

Smart isn't any better than he was last year. He was hurt. I see Barnes + Lyles + #13 as similar to Jones + #25 + Future 1st

I think Barnes is a bad contract and would not want him on our roster and really don’t think Memphis needs or wants another 1st this draft. Now if Barnes is not as negative as I think and could be flipped for a decent backup PG, Center, or pure cap space to a team like Det then that is something to at least consider. Then maybe use 13 to move up in the draft or in another win now trade.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,605

Post#174 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:56 am

psman2 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

I think Barnes is a bad contract and would not want him on our roster and really don’t think Memphis needs or wants another 1st this draft. Now if Barnes is not as negative as I think and could be flipped for a decent backup PG, Center, or pure cap space to a team like Det then that is something to at least consider. Then maybe use 13 to move up in the draft or in another win now trade.

I like Barnes to Detroit for cap space. Maybe even a 2nd as well.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,866

Post#175 » by psman2 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:15 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:
psman2 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

I like Barnes to Detroit for cap space. Maybe even a 2nd as well.

If that could be done then I think at least it would be something to consider depending what Memphis could do with the 13th pick and Smart's matching ability/TPE. But I don't think we will find a trade better than just keeping Smart here.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#176 » by OxAndFox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:44 pm

SNPA wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:Been seeing a lot of stuff in discord and different sites linking Sacramento to Capela or Okongwu depending on if Atlanta moves one

Why not just sign Len or McGee and save a ton of money?
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,345

Post#177 » by Godaddycurse » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:48 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
SNPA wrote:

Okongwu can switch and guard the perimeter, and is developing a jump shot
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,505

Post#178 » by pillwenney » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:40 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
SNPA wrote:

If we were to acquire Okongwu, surely he'd be our starting PF. Fit seems iffy to me though.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#179 » by OxAndFox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:59 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
SNPA wrote:Okongwu could make sense for Sac.

Okongwu can switch and guard the perimeter, and is developing a jump shot

You can not win with Okongwu and Sabonis on the floor together. And then you gave up assets to put behind arguably your best player. Disastrous approach to team building.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#180 » by OxAndFox » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:02 am

pillwenney wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
SNPA wrote:Okongwu could make sense for Sac.

If we were to acquire Okongwu, surely he'd be our starting PF. Fit seems iffy to me though.

The fit is not only iffy, it's wreckless in terms of team building from a FO POV and putting assets into a player that has the same best position as your arguably #1 player. If you want to bandaid something from Sabonis, you shouldn't be building around him then.

Return to Trades and Transactions