Instant Reaction: What Do The Kings Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,673

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Kings Do This Off-Season? 

Post#101 » by Skybox » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:58 am

Re: Monk

He’s def played himself into a pay raise that SAC cannot give him - just cant. That also means they can’t even do a SnT.

Of the teams with sufficient cap space to give him $20m+, ORL really is the only team that makes a great fit and appealing opportunity, imo…but, if ORL chicken-@#*t FO gets cute with the offer, what is Monk (who loves SAC) to do?

CAN MONK SIMPLY SIGN A ONE YEAR DEAL WITH SAC and then go long-term next summer without the same $$ restrictions?

His family and agency will be angry with him for passing up his safest financial path, but there really aren’t great options for him outside of ORL this summer.
bpcox05
Veteran
And1: 481

Post#102 » by bpcox05 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:14 pm

Another option could be something with the framework of…

Jonathan Isaac

For

Kevin Huerter

Still gives us a cheap rookie contract for when payrolls get tight, but we get one of the best (if not the best) fit at PF next to Sabonis in Isaac.

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Ellis / Monk / Jones
SF - Murray / Barnes / Edwards
PF - Isaac / Lyles / Vezenkov
C - Sabonis / Len
Picks - #18 / # 45
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#103 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:19 pm

bpcox05 wrote:Another option could be something with the framework of…

Jonathan Isaac

For

Kevin Huerter

Still gives us a cheap rookie contract for when payrolls get tight, but we get one of the best (if not the best) fit at PF next to Sabonis in Isaac.

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Ellis / Monk / Jones
SF - Murray / Barnes / Edwards
PF - Isaac / Lyles / Vezenkov
C - Sabonis / Len
Picks - #18 / # 45

I dont think ORL sells JI for this. Not even sure they do it w/o #18.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,675

Post#104 » by toooskies » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:01 pm

Skybox wrote:Re: Monk

He’s def played himself into a pay raise that SAC cannot give him - just cant. That also means they can’t even do a SnT.

Of the teams with sufficient cap space to give him $20m+, ORL really is the only team that makes a great fit and appealing opportunity, imo…but, if ORL chicken-@#*t FO gets cute with the offer, what is Monk (who loves SAC) to do?

CAN MONK SIMPLY SIGN A ONE YEAR DEAL WITH SAC and then go long-term next summer without the same $$ restrictions?

His family and agency will be angry with him for passing up his safest financial path, but there really aren’t great options for him outside of ORL this summer.

Probably a 1+1 with a player option on the second year.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,504

Post#105 » by pillwenney » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:19 pm

Has there been any talk in Orlando of ramping up JI's minutes ever? I realize he'll always be a big injury risk, but he's the actual perfect fit, so I do think it's a risk worth taking--but I wouldn't give up much if he's always going to play 16 mpg.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,284

Post#106 » by SNPA » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:36 pm

Spurs are his best option if Pop wants him.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,041

Post#107 » by Colbinii » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:38 pm

SNPA wrote:

Yeah but the Spurs shouldn't be committing long-term salary to players like Monk's caliber.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
SNPA
General Manager

Post#108 » by SNPA » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:39 pm

Sactowndog wrote:
SNPA wrote:Got bored and combined ideas.

Hueter/Barnes/13 for Grant/Doup/33
Sabonis/Sasha for BI/Jones/Nance

Fox/Monk/Ellis/Mitchell
BI/Murray/Grant/Jones
Defensive Centers - Kings would have full MLE, Doup/Nance
Small ball Center - Lyles

I really like that team.

I do too but I don’t think you are getting BI and jones. Plus given Grants salary 13 is an over pay.

So what if

Portland out: Grant/ Duop/ 33
Portland in: Huerter or Mitchell / Barnes / 17

Pels out: BI / Nance / 17 / 21
Pels in: Sabonis / Mitchell or Huerter

Kings in: BI / Grant / Duop / Nance / 21
Kings out: Sabonis / Mitchell / Barnes / Huerter

Kings:
Fox / Monk / Ellis / Jones or Duarte / 13 or 21
BI / Grant / Murray / Lyle’s / Sasha
Duop/ Len / Nance / 13 or 21

Can’t turn Hali into Sabonis and turn him into BI and 17 in a bad draft. He would have to get either Jones or Murphy. The whole concept is if you can’t beat the Pels, become them.
SNPA
General Manager

Post#109 » by SNPA » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:41 pm

Colbinii wrote:
SNPA wrote:

Yeah but the Spurs shouldn't be committing long-term salary to players like Monk's caliber.

Maybe. Maybe not. I think Monk would flourish with VW and help him too. He’d make life a lot easier. The lobs would be relentless.

Plus, Monk for 4 years isn’t locking VW’s career into a single course. There would be plenty of time to adjust if needed.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,041

Post#110 » by Colbinii » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:56 pm

SNPA wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
SNPA wrote:Spurs are his best option if Pop wants him.

Maybe. Maybe not. I think Monk would flourish with VW and help make him too. He’d make like a lot easier. The lobs would be relentless.

Plus, Monk for 4 years isn’t locking VW’s career into a single course. There would be plenty of time to adjust if needed.

I just wouldn't commit 4 years to Monk. My philosophy on NBA contracts is approaching a something like this.

End of Bench: 1 year
Role Player/Non-Star: 2 year
Low-End Starter: 3 year
High-End Starter/Star+: 4 year

Malik Monk has 27 Million in career earnings. He is going to be searching for the largest contract he possibly can, because this is likely his first and last big pay day of his career.

Looking back at what Monk is, he has had career high usage rates the past 2 seasons in Sacramento and has been good as a playmaker/scorer with his usage. He fits into that Tyler Herro mold where he has a high usage, isn't very efficient [but still around league average] and could easily be more efficient if his usage were to drop.

Maybe Sacramento see's him as a good fit for the next 3-4 years at a high number but I don't think he is giving any kind of discount to San Antonio because of Wemby.

My expectation is he demands something like the Dejounte Murray and Anfernee Simons contracts [4/114 and 4/100 respectively].
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,332

Post#111 » by Godaddycurse » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:01 pm

Colbinii wrote:
SNPA wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Maybe. Maybe not. I think Monk would flourish with VW and help make him too. He’d make like a lot easier. The lobs would be relentless.

I just wouldn't commit 4 years to Monk. My philosophy on NBA contracts is approaching a something like this.

Malik Monk has 27 Million in career earnings. He is going to be searching for the largest contract he possibly can, because this is likely his first and last big pay day of his career.

Looking back at what Monk is, he has had career high usage rates the past 2 seasons in Sacramento and has been good as a playmaker/scorer with his usage. He fits into that Tyler Herro mold where he has a high usage, isn't very efficient [but still around league average] and could easily be more efficient if his usage were to drop.

Maybe Sacramento see's him as a good fit for the next 3-4 years at a high number but I don't think he is giving any kind of discount to San Antonio because of Wemby.

My expectation is he demands something like the Dejounte Murray and Anfernee Simons contracts [4/114 and 4/100 respectively].

i think a 2+1 FVV like contract could make sense (obv not at max though) for both parties
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,455

Post#112 » by JRoy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:06 pm

Colbinii wrote:
SNPA wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

I can understand not wanting to commit to lower tier players with longer contracts but slot of those players are looking for the security that comes with a longer contract.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,108

Post#113 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:13 pm

SNPA wrote:Plus, Monk for 4 years isn’t locking VW’s career into a single course. There would be plenty of time to adjust if needed.

Way too many posters are willing to just waste early years of players's careers in ways I don't get. If the belief is Wemby is going to be ready to win by next year, and I assume that's the belief, and we know players of his size tend to have short shelf lives, why sign the wrong player to a big deal just to do something? Every Wemby year moving forward should be seen as precious. Doesn't mean they need to panic push in for veterans next year, but it does mean not just going and signing Malik Monk type players to the overpaid deals you have to give out in free agency and lock yourselves into a deal that becomes difficult to move if he's not everything you hoped.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,455

Post#114 » by JRoy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:16 pm

JRoy wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
SNPA wrote:Maybe. Maybe not. I think Monk would flourish with VW and help make him too. He’d make like a lot easier. The lobs would be relentless.

I can understand not wanting to commit to lower tier players with longer contracts but a lot of those players are looking for the security that comes with a longer contract.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
SNPA
General Manager

Post#115 » by SNPA » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:43 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
SNPA wrote:Plus, Monk for 4 years isn’t locking VW’s career into a single course. There would be plenty of time to adjust if needed.

Way too many posters are willing to just waste early years of players's careers in ways I don't get. If the belief is Wemby is going to be ready to win by next year, and I assume that's the belief, and we know players of his size tend to have short shelf lives, why sign the wrong player to a big deal just to do something? Every Wemby year moving forward should be seen as precious. Doesn't mean they need to panic push in for veterans next year, but it does mean not just going and signing Malik Monk type players to the overpaid deals you have to give out in free agency and lock yourselves into a deal that becomes difficult to move if he's not everything you hoped.

Monk would crush as a starter with VW. He’d play up to the contract (assuming it’s 4/100’ish). I’d predict the Spurs to make the play-in next year. Monk is a great fit for them. I don’t understand where the idea he’d be a bad contact comes from.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,539

Post#116 » by codydaze » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:49 pm

toooskies wrote:

That would be ideal but I think I remember reading somewhere that due to the early bird rights, a 1+1 is not possible, it has to be at least 2 guaranteed years. I could be wrong, I'm not clear on a lot of these CBA rules but if that option is not there it makes it tougher.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,504

Post#117 » by pillwenney » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:51 pm

Yeah, I think it's getting underplayed just how good Monk was last season and how much he progressed specifically as a playmaker. He is a very, very good PnR guard. If the Spurs can acquire a star guard, that should of course be option 1. If they don't want to spend their assets though, they could do a lot worse than Monk.

Of course, I hope they disagree.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#118 » by Skybox » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:54 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
SNPA wrote:Maybe. Maybe not. I think Monk would flourish with VW and help make him too. He’d make like a lot easier. The lobs would be relentless.

i think a 2+1 FVV like contract could make sense (obv not at max though) for both parties

Why would Monk agree to that? the whole point is he wants more money than SAC can give him...the only reason to do a one year or a 1 with a 2nd player option, would be to come back next year, probably with a handshake wink wink to get his real payday next summer...but that's risky, he could get hurt or, more likely, revert to his former level of play - which wasn't that great. 2 Years below what he could've gotten is a lot to give up. On the other hand, If I'm SAC, I'm resistant to promise anything - the future is unclear.

This is his summer to cash in on his performance, but only a small group of teams can afford him (without the possibility of a SnT). I don't think he's a Pop guy, DET has too many similar young guys to add him, ORL would offer a plug and play situation, where his defensive weaknesses could be somewhat hidden and he could be a designated scorer and offensive inititator, with the opportunity to show off his Lead Guard chops.

BUT...ORL isn't likely bidding very much higher than $20 per if no one else is involved in the auction...so my initial question was: Could he take an underpay of the most SAC could pay for one year and then cash out next summer to stay with SAC?

If I'm him, I take ORL's bigger, guaranteed deal and play it safe. He was on a vet min with LAL just a couple of years ago, so the money security thing is real...next question is whether ORL FO even wants him...I like the fit, but they seem enamored with long, defensive-minded guys that can't throw a ball in the ocean.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,539

Post#119 » by codydaze » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:54 pm

Obviously I'm biased because I want Monk to stay in Sac but I truly think a team overpaying (I see 4/100 as an overpay for Monk) to be a starter would regret the decision. He is in the absolute perfect situation here as a sixth man that fits well with our two stars. As soon as you put him into the starting lineup and given a bigger role, you are going to see his weaknesses and limitation magnified.

I just look at the deal for his biggest 6MOY competition, Naz Reid. Is he really worth $10m more annually than Naz? I personally don't think so.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#120 » by Skybox » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:55 pm

codydaze wrote:
toooskies wrote:

That would be ideal but I think I remember reading somewhere that due to the early bird rights, a 1+1 is not possible, it has to be at least 2 guaranteed years. I could be wrong, I'm not clear on a lot of these CBA rules but if that option is not there it makes it tougher.

That's what I was thinking...which led to this question. Thanks...Hope you're right (sorry. not sorry :D )

Return to Trades and Transactions