Bulls Blowup #1

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,367

Bulls Blowup #1 

Post#1 » by pipfan » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:44 am

1. At #11, draft best forward/center available

2. Trade CWhite to Orl for Howard, #18 and the Denver pick next year
Orl gets a GREAT fit in the backcourt with Suggs, and he's young enough to grow with the core

3. Caruso/JCarter to SA for Graham (buyout, don't stretch his money owed), Branham or Wesley (SA choice) and the Bulls pick back, plus 2 seconds (not sure which ones)
SA would LOVE Caruso to help the kids win games next year, and Carter is harmless guard depth

4. Resign Javonte Green and Drummond

5. Either let DDR walk or Sign/Trade him to a contender
DeRozan is still a very good player, but can't be a #1 option.

6. Let PWill explore his market and match as long as not a crazy number

Bulls don't "tank"-they go into the season with
Ayo/Ball/random vet
Lavine/Wesley or Branham/Terry
PWill/Terry/JGreen
#11 or Howard/Phillips/random vet
Vuc/Drummond
Plus the #18 pick from Orl

The main goal is to build back Lavine's value, and shorten his contract again. By Jan, deal him to highest bidder (should be able to average an efficient 25/game again) and Drummond too (probably just keep Vuc.

Dealing White is a calculated move-I love the kid but I think his value will never be higher. He's got 2 cheap years left, but I think we've seen his relative ceiling-very solid starter but not a star. I actually like Ayo more, due to his great D.

The team also give PWill more opportunity to create. The goal is to start a mid-season tank, and we'd have our pick in 2025, plus the Den pick (probably late, but it's only top 5 protected and the West is SO strong that an injury to Jokic could make them drop) plus the Port pick (hopefully converts as a pick in the teens in 2027 or 28) and TONS of cap space (and the assets from dealing Lavine/Drummond).

Better than another 40 win season/Playin loss
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,136

Re: Bulls Blowup #1 

Post#2 » by tiderulz » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:55 pm

I like White for Orlando. but you say his ceiling is solid starter. That equals lottery pick last year plus 2 first round picks?
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#3 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:02 pm

tiderulz wrote:I like White for Orlando. but you say his ceiling is solid starter. That equals lottery pick last year plus 2 first round picks?

While this is way too much for White, Jett Howard probably has the trade value of a mid second at this point.

He was projected to be drafted in the 17-25 range, the Magic reached wildly because of University of Michigan nepotism, and then he had a historically awful rookie season.

52 total minutes for a healthy player is the worst figure ever for a lottery pick.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,059

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:53 pm

Nothing signals the end of the regular season quite as well as a Bulls blowup thread. It's an annual tradition I always look forward to.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#5 » by tiderulz » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:19 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
tiderulz wrote:I like White for Orlando. but you say his ceiling is solid starter. That equals lottery pick last year plus 2 first round picks?

While this is way too much for White, Jett Howard probably has the trade value of a mid second at this point.

He was projected to be drafted in the 17-25 range, the Magic reached wildly because of University of Michigan nepotism, and then he had a historically awful rookie season.

52 total minutes for a healthy player is the worst figure ever for a lottery pick.

i think that is drastically overstating it. Jett spent most of the year in Lakeland. Talk coming out of the draft was that he had injury issues at Michigan and that may have played a part of him getting healthy. Yes, its Gleague, but the distance is the same and he shot 38% from 3 there. Questions linger on his defense, but the league has shown that you can play shooters if they can shoot. But to say he had a "historically" bad rookie season is overly dramatic. and its not like the other "shooters" in the draft are lighting it up. I agree that Jett's value right now isnt as a lottery pick, but if you looked at say Jimmy Butler after his rookie year, he might have been let go in todays day.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:19 pm

tiderulz wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

i think that is drastically overstating it. Jett spent most of the year in Lakeland. Talk coming out of the draft was that he had injury issues at Michigan and that may have played a part of him getting healthy. Yes, its Gleague, but the distance is the same and he shot 38% from 3 there. Questions linger on his defense, but the league has shown that you can play shooters if they can shoot. But to say he had a "historically" bad rookie season is overly dramatic. and its not like the other "shooters" in the draft are lighting it up.

It's not historically bad other than being literally the lowest minute total in NBA history for a rookie picked in the lottery.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#7 » by tiderulz » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:20 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

i think that is drastically overstating it. Jett spent most of the year in Lakeland. Talk coming out of the draft was that he had injury issues at Michigan and that may have played a part of him getting healthy. Yes, its Gleague, but the distance is the same and he shot 38% from 3 there. Questions linger on his defense, but the league has shown that you can play shooters if they can shoot. But to say he had a "historically" bad rookie season is overly dramatic. and its not like the other "shooters" in the draft are lighting it up.

It's not historically bad other than being literally the lowest minute total in NBA history for a rookie picked in the lottery.

Chet Holmgren and Embiid say hi.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:22 pm

tiderulz wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
tiderulz wrote:i think that is drastically overstating it. Jett spent most of the year in Lakeland. Talk coming out of the draft was that he had injury issues at Michigan and that may have played a part of him getting healthy. Yes, its Gleague, but the distance is the same and he shot 38% from 3 there. Questions linger on his defense, but the league has shown that you can play shooters if they can shoot. But to say he had a "historically" bad rookie season is overly dramatic. and its not like the other "shooters" in the draft are lighting it up.

Did Jett have a major injury this year.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#9 » by tiderulz » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:23 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

as i said, it was said he had injury issues. if you want to say he played the least amount of minutes of a lottery rookie, thats valid
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:29 pm

tiderulz wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
tiderulz wrote:Chet Holmgren and Embiid say hi.

as i said, it was said he had injury issues. if you want to say he played the least amount of minutes of a lottery rookie, thats valid

So what were his injuries this year that kept him off the floor for the entire season.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,411

Post#11 » by brackdan70 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:33 pm

I think you keep White, Caruso, Williams and Domonsu. Still stealth tank though. You need that 2025 and 2026 pick. Those are both exceptional drafts.

I think it’s a bit of a pipe dream that LaVine rebuilds his value. Trade him as soon as you can for any positive return and cap relief.

I like your general idea though.
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,411

Post#12 » by brackdan70 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:38 pm

I think you are also pretty optimistic in value coming back for Caruso/ Carter as well as white.
Would be great to get that pick back from SA, but I don’t see them giving it back for that. It’s a valuable piece. SA will hope that Chicago has another season like this one in the next two years and gets a 12 ish pick in a great draft.
Sign here
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,929

Post#13 » by ChettheJet » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

I think the post season press conference will disappoint you as always because you expect AKME to announce a huge rebuild the day after the season ends like they were an unrealistic internet poster. They won't be lusting after 3 more picks in what so many call a weak draft.

You're missing the boat on Coby White. Even Richard Jefferson stated the obvious, you have a potential most improved player on a new very team friendly contract, that's the guy you build around going forward not ship out for a draft pick so you have 3 years to wait and see IF that kid becomes a quality NBA player. The same applies to Ayo Dosunmu, your 2nd round pick looked good so you extended him before the season and your bet paid off. Pat yourself on the back and try to repeat that.

The time to get value and picks for Caruso was at the deadline when some team still in the playoffs could use him to advance this year and have him for a full season next year. Now he's a small expiring contract and few teams will pay up to hopefully get 65 games out of AC.

All the Bulls can hope for is that MIL sees their error and wants Carter back, he didn't play or do enough with the Bulls to show any team that he could help them.

I would trade Lavine if an acceptable offer comes but there's no way I pay what DeRozan could ask for and I don't think bringing both back even gets to the pay in next year. I'm willing to bet paper money that Vucevic sits down for his end of season interview with AK and asks to be traded. He's had enough of several guys just not being able to pause 2 seconds to get him the ball in the post, he's tired of being the only player on the floor over 6-6 and having to box out and get so many rebounds. You heard DeRozan post game say he just wants to be where he can win, He's been here 3 years and not a winning record and virtually no changes from last year, I don't how he wants to stay and the same goes for Vucevic.

I hang onto Lavine rather than give him away, move or let DeRozan go, trade Caruso, Vucevic and Carter. I resign Drummond, hang onto Williams, maybe Craig stays. More and more Dalen Terry has to find one aspect of the game that he is considered very good at be it shooting, defense, ball handling, something besides hustle to justify keeping him.

White Dosunmu pray for Lonzo
Lavine
Drummond Sanogo
Williams a real shooter Bitim
a new PF Craig Phillips

who they can get for DeRozan, Caruso, Vucevic, Carter, who they draft some FAs
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,035

Post#14 » by Residual-Heat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:10 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:

By that logic, the Magic keep Howard and send a 2nd instead.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,035

Post#15 » by Residual-Heat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:15 pm

If the Bulls wanted to move White, I think this might be a decent trade for both sides.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,367

Post#16 » by pipfan » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:31 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:If the Bulls wanted to move White, I think this might be a decent trade for both sides.

For those saying it's too much for Coby, it's a #18 pick this year (which is supposed to be a very bad draft), a probable #25 pick next year and Howard.

I see Coby as a perfect fit, and he's a great kid who can grow with their core. His off ball shooting will REALLY help in Orl, and he can get his own buckets too. His defense has improved a ton, as has his passing.

I KNOW the Bulls won't trade him, but I think should. I really believe Lavine can become a positive piece by Jan, especially if he's the #1 option.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,656

Post#17 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:46 pm

As a Blazer fan I would offer Chicago a pair of seconds for the return of Portland's owed first. I know normally that firsts for seconds is not done but in this instance the first is unlikely to ever convey and become two seconds in any event so this just makes it happen sooner and Chicago can have at least one decent second this year as well as a future second.
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,059

Post#18 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:14 pm

Brandon-Clyde wrote:As a Blazer fan I would offer Chicago a pair of seconds for the return of Portland's owed first. I know normally that firsts for seconds is not done but in this instance the first is unlikely to ever convey and become two seconds in any event so this just makes it happen sooner and Chicago can have at least one decent second this year as well as a future second.

Seems like a terrible idea for Chicago. There are enough teams with too many picks this year that if Chicago wants a good 2nd they can get one without giving up a potential future 1st. The gain to Portland here is significant. They need to pay more than just giving up 2nds sooner. Not nearly enticing enough.

Again, though just my opinion man. Chicago might very well do something seemingly not in their own interest, but rather Portland's.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,328

Post#19 » by babyjax13 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:19 pm

brackdan70 wrote:I think you are also pretty optimistic in value coming back for Caruso/ Carter as well as white.
Would be great to get that pick back from SA, but I don’t see them giving it back for that. It’s a valuable piece. SA will hope that Chicago has another season like this one in the next two years and gets a 12 ish pick in a great draft.

Yah, I think White for that pick back from San Antonio is probably closer in value. San Antonio probably owes a bit, but not a ton.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
wemby
Senior
And1: 315

Post#20 » by wemby » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:08 am

pipfan wrote:3. Caruso/JCarter to SA for Graham (buyout, don't stretch his money owed), Branham or Wesley (SA choice) and the Bulls pick back, plus 2 seconds (not sure which ones)
SA would LOVE Caruso to help the kids win games next year, and Carter is harmless guard depth

Caruso has only 1 more year and is unlikely to extend on his very low contract, Spurs don't need him next season and if they want him the next they can make an offer in free agency, I'd rather the Spurs take their chances with Chicago's pick, it's protected 10, 8, 8 so unless Chicago goes on a 3 year hard tank it'll eventually convey and it's still likely a pretty good pick. The only current Chicago player I'd consider for that pick is Coby White, but if Chicago is willing to deal him they might as well go for a 3 year tank where they'll keep the pick anyway without needing to give up anything for it.

Return to Trades and Transactions