Hou - Atl - Sas

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,914

Hou - Atl - Sas 

Post#1 » by LarsV8 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:37 am

To Atl
Jeff Green
Jalen Green
JeSean Tate
Jock Landale
2025 ATL #1
2026 ATL #1 Swap Rights Extinguished
2027 ATL #1

Atlanta gets their picks back and a young guard with upside in Jalen Green.

To SAS
2024 Nets #1
2026 Nets #1
2027 Nets #1 Swap Rights

San Antonio simply swaps Atlanta's future with Brooklyns

To Hou
Trae Young

Houston cashes in some of their assets to land a premiere offensive engine.

Trae / Amen
FVV / MLE
Brooks / Whitmore
Jabari / Eason
Adams / Sengun
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,328

Re: Hou - Atl - Sas 

Post#2 » by Godaddycurse » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:38 am

SAS rather keep the 2025 1st for an extra shot at flagg and other top prospect in the 2025 class. I would prefer that 1st over the 9th pick in this draft
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,475

Post#3 » by Chinook » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:31 am

Why would the Spurs swap ATL's Youngless future for Brooklyn's especially with the picks? The Rockets also can't trade a swap for the 2027 Brooklyn first . They can only trade a pick with a swap attached.

Bad deal that only exists to get Houston what they want
wemby
Senior
And1: 315

Post#4 » by wemby » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:55 am

LarsV8 wrote:To SAS
2024 Nets #1
2026 Nets #1
2027 Nets #1 Swap Rights

Nets agreed to give the Rockets swap rights over their '27 FRP, but the Rockets can't turn around and transfer those rights to some third team, otherwise every swap could be weaponized against the team that conceded it.
Say after the lottery the Pistons end up at #1 and the Wizards at #6, but the two teams agree to swap picks in exchange for the Wizards giving the Pistons rights to swap their '25 picks. Wizards do that because they want Sarr and figure the Pistons will suck next year as well so they do not lose much, while the Pistons want Cody Wlliams who they can get anyway at #6 and figure they might as well pick up an extra asset. Then the Pistons turn around and trade the Celtics those '25 swap rights with the Wizards, who all of a sudden see their pick being bumped from the top 3 to the end of the first round. Does that sound reasonable to you, when it;s not what they agreed to?
Bottom line is, Rockets can trade their '27 pick that includes swap rights with the Nets, but they can;t trade just the swap rights, because the Nets only agreed to swap with the Rockets and no one else.
Also, there's no reason for the Spurs to do this, they don't exist just to do the Rockets a solid other than maybe in some of their fans' minds.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,058

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:13 pm

Chinook wrote:Why would the Spurs swap ATL's Youngless future for Brooklyn's especially with the picks? The Rockets also can't trade a swap for the 2027 Brooklyn first . They can only trade a pick with a swap attached.

Bad deal that only exists to get Houston what they want

This is the fatal flaw. Forget my usual soapbox that teams don't trade for their own picks back because the only reason to do so is to enter into an extended tank job no team has the stomach for post-Process. The idea here is that the Hawks only trade Trae if they get their picks back because the OP thinks they will suck without Trae. But he has the Spurs giving up the picks of this team he believes will be horrible for no additional incentive. Just to help out the Rockets. He put no thought into the Spurs at all.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Chinook » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:27 pm

So to be constructive, let's look at each year of the picks in question to see if we can come up with a fair deal:

2024 -- The Brooklyn pick legit has value if the Raptors pick doesn't convey. If it does, I doubt the Spurs would want three firsts in the top 10, even if they like this draft more than the RGM consensus.

2025 -- This trade is not ideal, because the Hawks 25 pick is probably the best of the then-five firsts the Spurs would have in that draft. But that might be fixable if the Rockets give the Spurs the ability to swap one of their 2025 picks for the best of the Brooklyn and post-swap OKC/HOU picks. So for example, the Spurs could swap the second-best first they have with Houston's post-swap first.

2026 -- Given how many 2025 picks SA will have, I don't know that they'd prefer Brooklyn's pick outright to the swap with Atlanta. I would recommend that swap remain in place and the Hawks get the rights to swap Brooklyn's pick instead. It's not ideal for ATL, but they aren't trading Young to the Spurs and can't get everything they want.

2027 -- This one stings, because it's very possible ATL is in freefall by this point regardless of what they do. Because this trade changed the 2026 pick to a swap, the Rockets are free to trade a double-pick to the Spurs this year. As mentioned before, Houston cannot trade a swap over, but they can trade a pick with a swap included. They do this here.

So looking at the new trade:

To Atl
Jeff Green
Jalen Green
JeSean Tate
Jock Landale
2025 ATL #1
2026 Swap rights with the BRK first
2027 ATL #1

Atlanta may want more, but that was always Houston's problem

To SAS
2024 Nets #1
2025 Swap rights with Houston (Spurs swap second-best first they have for the HOU/OKC//BRK first)
2027 Houston first with Brooklyn swap rights included

San Antonio may still not do this without incentive, but the Raptors pick rolling over is like a second high pick in 2025 that isn't factored into most scenarios. If the Toronto pick conveys, this deal would have zero legs anyway.

To Hou
Trae Young

Houston has to leverage itself more but is still giving up the same number of picks.

Trae / Amen
FVV / MLE
Brooks / Whitmore
Jabari / Eason
Adams / Sengun
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,939

Post#7 » by K_chile22 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:27 pm

Chinook wrote:So to be constructive, let's look at each year of the picks in question to see if we can come up with a fair deal:

2024 -- The Brooklyn pick legit has value if the Raptors pick doesn't convey. If it does, I doubt the Spurs would want three firsts in the top 10, even if they like this draft more than the RGM consensus.

2025 -- This trade is not ideal, because the Hawks 25 pick is probably the best of the then-five firsts the Spurs would have in that draft. But that might be fixable if the Rockets give the Spurs the ability to swap one of their 2025 picks for the best of the Brooklyn and post-swap OKC/HOU picks. So for example, the Spurs could swap the second-best first they have with Houston's post-swap first.

2026 -- Given how many 2025 picks SA will have, I don't know that they'd prefer Brooklyn's pick outright to the swap with Atlanta. I would recommend that swap remain in place and the Hawks get the rights to swap Brooklyn's pick instead. It's not ideal for ATL, but they aren't trading Young to the Spurs and can't get everything they want.

2027 -- This one stings, because it's very possible ATL is in freefall by this point regardless of what they do. Because this trade changed the 2026 pick to a swap, the Rockets are free to trade a double-pick to the Spurs this year. As mentioned before, Houston cannot trade a swap over, but they can trade a pick with a swap included. They do this here.

To Atl
Jeff Green
Jalen Green
JeSean Tate
Jock Landale
2025 ATL #1
2027 ATL #1

To SAS
2024 Nets #1
2025 Swap rights with Houston (Spurs swap second-best first they have for the HOU/OKC//BRK first)

San Antonio may still not do this without incentive, but the Raptors pick rolling over is like a second high pick in 2025 that isn't factored into most scenarios. If the Toronto pick conveys, this deal would have zero legs anyway.

To Hou
Trae Young

Houston has to leverage itself more but is still giving up the same number of picks.

Trae / Amen
FVV / MLE
Brooks / Whitmore
Jabari / Eason
Adams / Sengun
Seems more reasonable than op but don't think Trae is the guy I want to saddle my future with.

I also can't get over both this and the op has Adams over Sengun... That's uh... Not happening
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,532

Post#8 » by jayjaysee » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:45 pm

I think Atlanta does neither of these. I really think they will try to retool not rebuild. Not saying it’s right move. But even if they were rebuilding, the value is short.

I think SAS part - they’d just pay a bit extra and get Trae here.

But I’d also be willing to be lt against Brooklyn before Atlanta. Atlanta can retool around either PG and likely play 500 ball for the next 3 seasons without pushing further in... Brooklyn is crossing their fingers for free agency, while crossing their fingers their free agent doesn’t leave this year..

So for me -

SAS adds and cuts out Houston, or more likely…

Atlanta cuts out a San Antonio and tries out Murray/Jalen/Jalen and two 2024 top 10 picks. Have to add more value in exchange for the 2027 swap though.
LarsV8
General Manager

Post#9 » by LarsV8 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:21 pm

Texas Chuck wrote: He put no thought into the Spurs at all.

No, that is wrong.

The Nets picks are more valuable than the Hawks picks.
LarsV8
General Manager

Post#10 » by LarsV8 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:23 pm

Chinook wrote:So to be constructive, let's look at each year of the picks in question to see if we can come up with a fair deal:

To Atl
Jeff Green
Jalen Green
JeSean Tate
Jock Landale
2025 ATL #1
2027 ATL #1

To SAS
2024 Nets #1

To Hou
Trae Young

Trae / Amen
FVV / MLE
Brooks / Whitmore
Jabari / Eason
Adams / Sengun

Houston is simply not giving up the 2025 Brooklyn swap, it is far and away the most valuable piece here.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 155

Post#11 » by louc1970 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:56 pm

LarsV8 wrote:To Atl
Jeff Green
Jalen Green
JeSean Tate
Jock Landale
2025 ATL #1
2026 ATL #1 Swap Rights Extinguished
2027 ATL #1

Atlanta gets their picks back and a young guard with upside in Jalen Green.

To SAS
2024 Nets #1
2026 Nets #1
2027 Nets #1 Swap Rights

To Hou
Trae Young

Houston cashes in some of their assets to land a premiere offensive engine.

Trae / Amen
FVV / MLE
Brooks / Whitmore
Jabari / Eason
Adams / Sengun

Why would SAS switch from Atlanta to Brooklyn? Brooklyn will at some point make a move to improve. Atlanta is stuck trying to decide if their assets are better than the return and will do so for the near future.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

Post#12 » by Xman » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:21 pm

I think SA could use Topic and Risacher.
If hou pick ends up top three then SA will listen. Or, if SA could package 7 and 10 for 3, then getting the pick has value.
To get someone like Trae, it will cost one of the prospects. Just not sure which the Rockets will part with. Green finished strong. So did Amen. Whitmore has all kind of potential. One of those three could go. Just not sure which. Personally, I think Amen works best for both teams.

SA
Pg. Vleet, Wesley, (topic)
- Vleet guides and tutors topic to take over.
Sg. Vassell, Branham
- solid with a guy to develop
Sf. (Risacher ), champagnie, Keldon
- Risa would be solid off of Wemby.
Pf. Sochan, Collins
C. Wemby, capela (Capela comes if SA wants him and salary works).
- capela can tutor until he retires.

Atl.
Pg. Murray, (TJones here or Houston)
Sg. Amen, BBog,
Sf. Hunter, Griffin, Tate
Pf. JJo,
C. Oku, Landale

Hou.
Pg. Trae, Holiday (maybe tJones)
Sg. JGreen, Whitmore
Sf. Brooks, Eason
Pf. Jabari, JGreen
C. Sengun, Adams

So hou gets. Trae,
Atl gets. Landale, amen, Tate, TJones,
SA gets Vleet, Capela maybe.

Picks.
Hopefully Houston gets a top pick. Sends it with future bkn pick. Amen, 2 and future bkn pick should be enough. If at 9, then Houston adds- 2028 hou first top 4 protected.
Atl. Gets picks/swaps back except 2025. Bkn 2026 first
SA. Gets bkn first this year. If lower than four, also gets 2028 hou first.

Picks could adjust some but idea is Atlanta gets future back and cap (not 2025 though). SA gets a lot in this draft and next but gives up longer picks and cap. Can see a possibility of SA getting Sarr/topic/Risacher which would be strong. Let’s Pop coach them before he gets older.
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Chinook » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:40 pm

LarsV8 wrote:Houston is simply not giving up the 2025 Brooklyn swap, it is far and away the most valuable piece here.

If the Brooklyn picks were more valuable than the ATL picks, why wouldn't the Hawks just take them instead? If they did that, they could rebuild without having to sell off the other guys on their team. If you think they would prefer their own future to Brooklyn's it's only reasonable to think other teams might feel the same way. For example, they might believe Atlanta is at a better risk of falling apart for longer than Brooklyn is, especially the Hawks are truly motivated to trade Young.

I'm all for the ideas that 1) Teams shouldn't be expected to give up their whole war chest in a trade simply because they have it and 2) Trae Young has a set amount of value that makes it possible to overpay for him. But Houston needs to come correct in this trade and respect that other teams matter just as much as they do. If Houston is going to be the initiator of this trade, they need to come correct and be willing to offer what it takes. They can have their limits to what they are willing to pay, but they shouldn't think so highly of their assets that it's fine to expect another team to give up their best picks for whatever Houston is willing to trade. The Spurs are going in very heavily in this trade so Houston can hold back, and that's not how third teams tend to operate.

Return to Trades and Transactions