Black & White (Boston - Orlando)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,420

Re: Black & White (Boston - Orlando) 

Post#21 » by brackdan70 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:20 pm

jayjaysee wrote:If White is a top 30 player, he’s not getting extended.. those things really can’t go together IMO.

I don’t think there’s a chance he gets extended (limited to below 30 million per right?) I think depsite being 31, he’ll still get max offers and Boston will have to match them. Don’t think they need to beat them and give him 8% raises, so won’t be his true max.. But yeah. He’s getting paid. And I would offer the 5th year and keep him with Tatum for all five years..

Boston should say no to this IMO. They have no reason to risk Black’s development. Their roster is set up really well to live over the second apron for a few years.

Right his extension would be 4/122 I think. Underpaid for sure. He might take it for stability though IDK. He could likely get much more as a FA. I’d expect the Cs to keep him either way.

Top 30 might be a homer comment. Maybe top 50 is more realistic.
Sign here
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,537

Post#22 » by jayjaysee » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:35 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:If White is a top 30 player, he’s not getting extended.. those things really can’t go together IMO.

I don’t think there’s a chance he gets extended (limited to below 30 million per right?) I think depsite being 31, he’ll still get max offers and Boston will have to match them. Don’t think they need to beat them and give him 8% raises, so won’t be his true max.. But yeah. He’s getting paid. And I would offer the 5th year and keep him with Tatum for all five years..

Boston should say no to this IMO. They have no reason to risk Black’s development. Their roster is set up really well to live over the second apron for a few years.

Right his extension would be 4/122 I think. Underpaid for sure. He might take it for stability though IDK. He could likely get much more as a FA. I’d expect the Cs to keep him either way.

Yeah, I think he knows if he hits free agency some desperate team will give him a max. Even if it’s only a 3 year max. That’s more than his extension can give him.. I can’t think far out enough (or have my crystal ball) to know what teams that would be, but assume Brooklyn, Utah, SAS, Houston will be able to easily create max space and have the desire to add him..

But that means nothing, because I think Boston is willing to pay him and will. Would think the deal ends up being a couple million less than his max per year, but includes a fifth year maybe a player option on it. And we all think it’s a great deal.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,332

Post#23 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:38 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:

Yeah, I think he knows if he hits free agency some desperate team will give him a max. Even if it’s only a 3 year max. That’s more than his extension can give him.. I can’t think far out enough (or have my crystal ball) to know what teams that would be, but assume Brooklyn, Utah, SAS, Houston will be able to easily create max space and have the desire to add him..

But that means nothing, because I think Boston is willing to pay him and will. Would think the deal ends up being a couple million less than his max per year, but includes a fifth year maybe a player option on it. And we all think it’s a great deal.

i dont think they will after the holiday extension and upcomign tatum supermax. At least that was the premise of op :)
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,537

Post#24 » by jayjaysee » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:49 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
i dont think they will after the holiday extension and upcomign tatum supermax. At least that was the premise of op :)

Yeah, I think if Boston is worried about the second apron the OP needs to look something like

Horford for Black
White for Carter, 16, and a 2025 first

Since Boston can’t take back over 100%

I just don’t like the idea of lessening a contender who is producing so well
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,038

Post#25 » by mg » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:53 pm

Agreed with the consensus that there's really no reason for Boston to consider this unless they can't reach a contract extension with White.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,249

Post#26 » by jbk1234 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:22 pm

tiderulz wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:Also. I think the trade is illegal because white makes a bit less than the Orlando package next year? Cs can only take back less or =.
And if it was legal Orlando needs to add value right?
White is a top 30 player in his prime.

is White a top-30 player?

He's close enough that there will be a max deal out there for him, but I'd have real questions about whether Orlando should be the team giving it to him. You really need a true no. 1 option already on your squad before bringing in White as a 2nd, or even 3rd option
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,041

Post#27 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:23 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Colbinii wrote:I would love to trade Black and a spot-starting Center for a player of Derrick White's caliber.

I have this as a couple 1sts short.

White's an expiring though. Recent lotto pick and a spot starting C seems about right to me

Take the Jrue Holiday value.

I would also say that contenders of Boston's caliber never make moves that make them significantly worse on the court while they are at the beginning/middle of their title window.

That just doesn't happen.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,136

Post#28 » by tiderulz » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:29 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:Also. I think the trade is illegal because white makes a bit less than the Orlando package next year? Cs can only take back less or =.
And if it was legal Orlando needs to add value right?
White is a top 30 player in his prime.

is White a top-30 player?

He's close enough that there will be a max deal out there for him, but I'd have real questions about whether Orlando should be the team giving it to him. You really need a true no. 1 option already on your squad before bringing in White as a 2nd, or even 3rd option

so Banchero cant be a "true" #1 option?
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#29 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:37 pm

tiderulz wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:is White a top-30 player?

He can, but is that in 2025 or 2029?

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,249

Post#30 » by jbk1234 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:38 pm

tiderulz wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Anything is possible, but he'd have to significantly improve his outside shooting. Derrick White is the 5th option on the Celtics. If he was no. 2 behind Banchero, I don't think he'd be worth the max.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,136

Post#31 » by tiderulz » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:52 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Anything is possible, but he'd have to significantly improve his outside shooting. Derrick White is the 5th option on the Celtics. If he was no. 2 behind Banchero, I don't think he'd be worth the max.

well, his 3pt % went from 30% to 34% this year, and from 16 ft - 3 pt he went from 35% to 42%. And that is with horrible PG play and having to carry a lot of being the offense initiator. I think having a decent, legit PG in the lineup will unlock him a bit more. He will have more catch and shoot opportunities instead of having to create it all off the dribble. And i think Franz would still be #2 ahead of White.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,332

Post#32 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:53 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Colbinii wrote:I would love to trade Black and a spot-starting Center for a player of Derrick White's caliber.

I have this as a couple 1sts short.

White's an expiring though. Recent lotto pick and a spot starting C seems about right to me

I would also say that contenders of Boston's caliber never make moves that make them significantly worse on the court while they are at the beginning/middle of their title window.

Ya I have WCJ = brogdon/RWIII and black = the 2 1sts, but i guess you can argue its lacking a 1st in value.

Contenders in the past dont have to deal with the 2nd apron. I dont think boston can pay all 5 of its starters 30+M long term.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#33 » by brackdan70 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:55 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:Right his extension would be 4/122 I think. Underpaid for sure. He might take it for stability though IDK. He could likely get much more as a FA. I’d expect the Cs to keep him either way.

As long as there are still championship aspirations the Cs will keep the band together.
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#34 » by brackdan70 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:57 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Ya I have WCJ = brogdon/RWIII and black = the 2 1sts, but i guess you can argue its lacking a 1st in value.

Contenders in the past dont have to deal with the 2nd apron. I dont think boston can pay all 5 of its starters 30+M long term.

Why do you think they can’t do that? The owners have plenty of cash and have stated they don’t mind spending as long as they can win
Sign here
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,496

Post#35 » by Patsfan1081 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:58 pm

tiderulz wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Paolo can be, and Orlando has enough talent where White’s game shouldn’t drop off and he shouldn’t be more than a third option at times. Im just not sure if the timeline really lines up. Maybe if they’re really set on winning now.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#36 » by Colbinii » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:11 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Paolo can be, and Orlando has enough talent where White’s game shouldn’t drop off and he shouldn’t be more than a third option at times. Im just not sure if the timeline really lines up. Maybe if they’re really set on winning now.

Why wouldn't Orlando want to win now?

"Hey we have a super talented 21 year old, let's beat around the bush until he asks out before we get serious about competing."

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,326

Post#37 » by hugepatsfan » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm

My guess is that BOS won't make moves like this where they're trading guys on expiring deals. I expect they'll keep re-signing everyone and if/when the financial commitment gets to be too much, ownership will tell Stevens a year in advance of when they want to reel the spending in. They'll move someone for expiring deals plus whatever else they can get, deal with the high payroll for that one extra year, and then reap the financial savings the next. But I don't see them breaking up this group so early.
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,302

Post#38 » by NotACat » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:30 pm

I don't think this works for either team. Boston will definitely want to keep White as they're in their championship window and Orlando would do better with a perimeter player who demands more gravity.
Black Lives Matter
Maple Green
Starter
And1: 79

Post#39 » by Maple Green » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:32 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Maple Green wrote:Why Boston fix the PG position if not broken..

Get something for white before he gets a max offer in FA

White will sign an extension this summer.

Yes, I believe the to Celtics Management..
neno
Rookie
And1: 918

Post#40 » by neno » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:39 pm

If white doesn't sign Oklahoma Utah and San Antonio have cap n pics to make better offer maybe say
White to Oklahoma
Pics and 19.5 mill tpe to boston
Or 3 team
Bulls trade vuc to boston
Boston trades white to Oklahoma
Oklahoma sends out pics etc
something like that

Return to Trades and Transactions