Black & White (Boston - Orlando)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,085

Re: Black & White (Boston - Orlando) 

Post#41 » by BK_2020 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:59 am

When was the last time a championship contender traded an extremely good player for two scrubs just to save money
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,328

Post#42 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:23 pm

BK_2020 wrote:When was the last time a championship contender traded an extremely good player for two scrubs just to save money

there was no 2nd apron penalties in the past
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#43 » by BK_2020 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:31 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:When was the last time a championship contender traded an extremely good player for two scrubs just to save money

The worst 2nd apron penalties (which are still years away) won't hurt the Celtics nearly as much as trading White for Black and WCJ would.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,031

Post#44 » by Colbinii » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:51 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:

We probably shouldn't assume the worst though. This would be a drastic shift in precedent.

This trade just wasn't it, and that's okay. You make great trades every day and this thread/idea generated a lot of value in terms of discussion.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,328

Post#45 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:53 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

We probably shouldn't assume the worst though. This would be a drastic shift in precedent.

ya. but there also isnt a precedent where all 5 starters make 30+M in the NBA, with 2 of them being supermax's. Either way Boston will be setting a pretty crazy precedent
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,388

Post#46 » by Gant » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:02 pm

Less than a week ago Brad Stevens said that he has the green light to spend whatever it takes to win. Owner Wyc Grousbeck has said the same thing.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#47 » by BK_2020 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:08 pm

If anyone is dealt for financial reasons it should be Jaylen Brown, whose on court impact doesn't justify the $. White on the other hand will still be underpaid even if he gets 30mil per on his next deal.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,792

Post#48 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:39 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:If White is a top 30 player, he’s not getting extended.. those things really can’t go together IMO.

I don’t think there’s a chance he gets extended (limited to below 30 million per right?) I think depsite being 31, he’ll still get max offers and Boston will have to match them. Don’t think they need to beat them and give him 8% raises, so won’t be his true max.. But yeah. He’s getting paid. And I would offer the 5th year and keep him with Tatum for all five years..

Boston should say no to this IMO. They have no reason to risk Black’s development. Their roster is set up really well to live over the second apron for a few years.

Right his extension would be 4/122 I think. Underpaid for sure. He might take it for stability though IDK. He could likely get much more as a FA. I’d expect the Cs to keep him either way.

Top 30 might be a homer comment. Maybe top 50 is more realistic.

Yeah. There are few teams on which he'd be the best player.

There are a lot more on which he'd be top-2.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,527

Post#49 » by jayjaysee » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:09 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:If White is a top 30 player, he’s not getting extended.. those things really can’t go together IMO.

I don’t think there’s a chance he gets extended (limited to below 30 million per right?) I think depsite being 31, he’ll still get max offers and Boston will have to match them. Don’t think they need to beat them and give him 8% raises, so won’t be his true max.. But yeah. He’s getting paid. And I would offer the 5th year and keep him with Tatum for all five years..

Boston should say no to this IMO. They have no reason to risk Black’s development. Their roster is set up really well to live over the second apron for a few years.

Right his extension would be 4/122 I think. Underpaid for sure. He might take it for stability though IDK. He could likely get much more as a FA. I’d expect the Cs to keep him either way.

Top 30 might be a homer comment. Maybe top 50 is more realistic.

Yeah. There are few teams on which he'd be the best player.

There are a lot more on which he'd be top-2.

And there are quite a few teams he’d be the 3rd best..

And this talk is not going to matter for another 16 months, 2025 offseason, when he’s 31 and you’re expecting to pay him through the beginning of his decline..

He’ll still be worth a max. And Boston will still pay him.

My point was just saying he cant be labeled a top 30 player and be banked on to give up 80 million dollars. those just don’t go together, right?

So he’s either a really great secondary player (say DJMurray as a comparison) and gets locked up on a deal that really good players get.. and gets extended.. or he wants to get paid as a top 30 player..

Again, I think he’s worth the max and think he stays in Boston. And would bet it’s more like 5yr230-240isj than 4yr200… where this is some expected discount by locking up that 5th year.. But just don’t see him giving up 80 million dollars..
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,792

Post#50 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:39 pm

The Celtics just extended Holiday.

White is several years younger, and no more dependent upon athleticism than Holiday is.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,788

Post#51 » by gswhoops » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:20 pm

Maple Green wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Get something for white before he gets a max offer in FA

White will sign an extension this summer.

Yes, I believe the to Celtics Management..

White would be a fool to extend under the current rules, and his agent would be committing malpractice to let him.

Return to Trades and Transactions