Giddey for Kessler

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,162

Re: Giddey for Kessler 

Post#41 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:29 pm

Lauri is an expiring player who can’t be extended and traded before next summer. Some of these demands are understandable but also not happening.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,335

Post#42 » by babyjax13 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:32 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Lauri is an expiring player who can’t be extended and traded before next summer. Some of these demands are understandable but also not happening.

Yes, that's fine. We will renegotiate and extend him and trade him then if we trade him.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,790

Post#43 » by SkyHook » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:36 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Lauri is an expiring player who can’t be extended and traded before next summer. Some of these demands are understandable but also not happening.

Yes, that's fine. We will renegotiate and extend him and trade him then if we trade him.

This. An impasse is a far more likely event in EVERY trade discussion than an agreement and is perfectly acceptable here as well.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
SkyHook
Veteran

Post#44 » by SkyHook » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:38 pm

“Understandable but also not happening” is the unofficial motto of the trade board. Rightfully so . :wink:

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,110

Post#45 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:41 pm

babyjax13 wrote:

Ideally yes. He might not be interested. I know there is a presumption when it comes to players on our own team that they will re-sign with our team or if we trade them they will definitely re-sign with that team(see every Siakam thread before his trade) so that we can still set his value at max locked up levels.

But when its players on other teams we always price in the risk. Feels like we should price in the risk even when its our guy, but we don't. And I get it. We love our teams. We want to think our players love our teams. Jalen Brunson never leaves because he wants to be somewhere else. Not sure yet the assumption about them signing with the new team though, that feels intentionally self-serving as opposed to just natural fandom. :D
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,335

Post#46 » by babyjax13 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:00 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Ideally yes. He might not be interested. I know there is a presumption when it comes to players on our own team that they will re-sign with our team or if we trade them they will definitely re-sign with that team(see every Siakam thread before his trade) so that we can still set his value at max locked up levels.

But when its players on other teams we always price in the risk. Feels like we should price in the risk even when its our guy, but we don't. And I get it. We love our teams. We want to think our players love our teams. Jalen Brunson never leaves because he wants to be somewhere else. Not sure yet the assumption about them signing with the new team though, that feels intentionally self-serving as opposed to just natural fandom. :D

This is a situation where the difference over the life of his contract is potentially $26 million next year + raises + hitting free agency a year earlier to secure another larger contract. Normally I'd agree that this is too strong of an assumption, but the uniqueness of the R+E means (IMO) that we should value him as-if an extension were certain. Other teams should not.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
SkyHook
Veteran

Post#47 » by SkyHook » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:30 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Agreed. Fans of outgoing and incoming teams both do these things, as do real front offices. 100% natural. That’s why it’s far more common that this disparity in perceived value results in impasse rather than agreement.

docholliday99
Sixth Man
And1: 924

Post#48 » by docholliday99 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:41 pm

babyjax13 wrote:

The renegotiation into the Jazz's cap space makes sense of course but he's also a 7 year vet this offseason, so he can get up to 30% of the cap - at a 141 cap, that's a salary starting at 42.3m with 8% raises. Would be an easier decision if he was a clear cut #1 option, as a deal like that for a player about to turn 27, you would think the Jazz would have to accelerate their rebuild timeline. Do they have the assets and availability of pieces needed to acquire? I'm not sure. Kinda puts the Jazz in the max him now or trade him spot, cause someone will give him a max offer in 2025.

Now for the record, I was just postulating an ideal fit for the Thunder, hadn't really looked into the numbers to see what was happening. If Jazz keep him, that would be great; if they trade him, the Thunder would be hard pressed to be beat - and I 100% would want Wallace as well, in any package. Wallace, Dieng and 3 picks would be something to look at.

Return to Trades and Transactions