Giddey for Kessler

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Wolverine
Bench Warmer
And1: 113

Giddey for Kessler 

Post#1 » by Wolverine » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:07 am

Who says no?
OKC needs a solid big and Giddeybwould be a good compliment to both George and Sexton
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,035

Re: Giddey for Kessler 

Post#2 » by Residual-Heat » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:19 am

Jazz say no to this, but also I dont know if Kessler is the type of center OKC would be looking for either.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,450

Post#3 » by JRoy » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:00 am

Not sure UTA has the stomach for the off court controversy that comes with Giddey.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#4 » by sonictecture » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:14 am

JRoy wrote:Not sure UTA has the stomach for the off court controversy that comes with Giddey.

I’m not familiar with what you’re referencing. Can you explain the controversy?
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,328

Post#5 » by babyjax13 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:15 am

On court I think Giddey is a nice fit. I'd probably do it, considering that nothing substantiated has come from the off-court issues, but I would understand the mere allegations being enough that people may disagree.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,450

Post#6 » by JRoy » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:29 am

sonictecture wrote:
JRoy wrote:Not sure UTA has the stomach for the off court controversy that comes with Giddey.

I’m not familiar with what you’re referencing. Can you explain the controversy?

Allegations of inappropriate relationship with a minor.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,665

Post#7 » by Coxy » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:50 am

Seems good for both teams to me. Kessler didn’t really make a huge leap forward this season, so maybe they add a sweetener. Not sure.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,222

Post#8 » by Slim Charless » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:37 am

Coxy wrote:Seems good for both teams to me. Kessler didn’t really make a huge leap forward this season, so maybe they add a sweetener. Not sure.

I agree. Utah's guards seem scorer inclined so there's no one to help get everyone good shots. Giddey can fill that roll. OKC gets a big body to put next to Chet.

Good trade OP.
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 381

Post#9 » by esvl » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:09 pm

Nice one
balsamic_ducks
Junior
And1: 214

Post#10 » by balsamic_ducks » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:25 pm

I like it. I like Keyonte George but I don't think he's a point guard long term, but a guy that can do it in spurts.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,788

Post#11 » by gswhoops » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:01 pm

I feel like I would pass on this if I were OKC. So much of their offensive identity revolves around being able to play five out and open the paint/driving lanes. Kessler isn't compatible with that style of play.

If Utah were interested in Giddey, I'd try and get Lauri for Giddey + picks.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#12 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:13 pm

Ya I just dont think OKC moves away from the 4-out plan.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,038

Post#13 » by mg » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:26 pm

gswhoops wrote:I feel like I would pass on this if I were OKC. So much of their offensive identity revolves around being able to play five out and open the paint/driving lanes. Kessler isn't compatible with that style of play.

If Utah were interested in Giddey, I'd try and get Lauri for Giddey + picks.

Utah apparently wants to play that same 5 out brand of ball or at least that's why I believe they were starting Collins at the 5 (or maybe it's just Collins contract?).. I still do like Kessler's potential but he would be a better fit on a team like the Pels or Magic who seem to prefer more conventional, bigger defensive type 5's.

The Kessler for Dyson Daniels trade already proposed on this board seems like a much better fit for both teams. Daniels is a much better defender than Giddey and the Jazz are a sieve defensively even with Kessler getting minutes. Daniels also has more years left on his rookie deal similar to Kessler.
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,788

Post#14 » by SkyHook » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:32 pm

As a Jazz fan, this proposal does not make me giddy.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,533

Post#15 » by jayjaysee » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:15 pm

It’s a boring response, but I wouldn’t do this for OKC until the center free agency market is done. Like Claxton definitely has to tell me no before a trade Giddey for Kessler.. And watching Jonas this series might make me offer him a big 2 year deal that pays him more than most teams are offering in a 3 year deal.. Hartenstein/Jalen Smith… Then you have guys that can probably be had for really cheap - Ayton, Capela, Vuc..

And maybe I keep the core four together or maybe k trade Josh for more distant picks..

Utah should do this though. Then go overpay a center.. Whether you are keeping Lauri or tanking, Giddey/Hendricks/George are a good fitting start to a young core when you have so many additional assets coming in.
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,838

Post#16 » by JJ_PR » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:22 pm

I have Kessler as the more valuable player here. OKC would be thrilled to do this trade.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,073

Post#17 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:17 pm

You guys who are talking about OKC wanting a lineup of all shooters, realize that defenses don't defend Giddey at all right? That the opposing center is often assigned to him, but just guards the paint.

This swap isn't costing OKC a shooter. Other valid reasons not to make the deal of course, but Giddey is defended as a non-shooter now.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,146

Post#18 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:56 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:You guys who are talking about OKC wanting a lineup of all shooters, realize that defenses don't defend Giddey at all right? That the opposing center is often assigned to him, but just guards the paint.

This swap isn't costing OKC a shooter. Other valid reasons not to make the deal of course, but Giddey is defended as a non-shooter now.

This is true to a point, but there's a big difference between leaving a 34% three point shooter open and a 21% one. But the bigger problem is that Josh's current abilities have him best positioned as the QB of the bench unit on this team, and he would undoubtedly do better elsewhere.
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,073

Post#19 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:02 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:You guys who are talking about OKC wanting a lineup of all shooters, realize that defenses don't defend Giddey at all right? That the opposing center is often assigned to him, but just guards the paint.

This is true to a point, but there's a big difference between leaving a 34% three point shooter open and a 21% one. But the bigger problem is that Josh's current abilities have him best positioned as the QB of the bench unit on this team, and he would undoubtedly do better elsewhere.

I'm not trying to knock the player. But there is minimal difference if teams don't guard him. Great he might make one more 3 every couple games, but the issue to the offense is the clogging of the paint.

I think ultimately he's not a part of the Thunder future because with their assets they don't have to settle for any flawed fits. He needs to be on a team of shooters/finishers who need a playmaker.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,377

Post#20 » by nate33 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:23 pm

If OKC was interested in a non-shooting big for defense and rebounding, they would have acquired such a player at the Trade Deadline. Those types of players are always available for relatively cheap.

Clearly, OKC is all in on playing 5-out with a center who can shoot. I think they would be much more likely to go after somebody like Wendall Carter Jr.

Return to Trades and Transactions