Off-season deal: Wiggins + 2026 1st for Poeltl + 2nds

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,570

Off-season deal: Wiggins + 2026 1st for Poeltl + 2nds 

Post#1 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:47 pm

Ill offer this idea based on a few assumptions:
A) The Warriors dont exercise player option on Chris Paul thereby eliminating ability to to use his salary to upgrade roster
B) The Raptors select a 5 with either their own pick, Pacers pick or Pistons 2nd in 2024 draft

To Golden State
-Jakob Poeltl (2 years, $39 million plus $19.5 million P.O.)
-2026 2nd round pick
-2027 2nd round pick

To Toronto
-Andrew Wiggins (2 years, $54.5 million plus $30 million P.O.)
-2026 1st round pick (Top 7 protected; 2027 Top 7 protected or extinguished)

Why?
-The Warriors decide they need a 7 footer to start who shoots high percentage, can block shots and is mobile enough in his prime at 28 years old. The Warriors create greater cap/tax flexibility which allows them to perhaps offer more to Klay in UFA and/or use. Given the money they save, short term and long term, its costs them a 1st while getting back 2nds

Curry/Payton/FA?
Thompson?/Podz/FA?
Kuminga/Moody/Santos?
Green/Jackson-Davis/Garuba?
Poeltl/Looney/FA?

-The Raptors decide to move on from Poeltl if they draft a big and get back a 1xt round pick. Barrett would move to the 2 as Raps decide to let GTJ walk in free agency not exercise option on Bruce Brown in taking on Wiggins contract. Wiggins can start at the 3 while Olynyk and Boucher player minutes at the 5.

Quickley/FA?/Freeman-Liberty?
Barrett/Dick/2nd?
Wiggins/Agbaji/Nwora?
Barnes/1st?/McDaniels
Olynyk/Boucher/1st?
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,533

Re: Off-season deal: Wiggins + 2026 1st for Poeltl + 2nds 

Post#2 » by jayjaysee » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:21 pm

Think this is a bad idea for GSW, but if they did it - it would be the 2025 first.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,475

Post#3 » by Chinook » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:22 pm

I don't think you can have a Green/Poeltl front court. If this is part of a bigger overhaul that sees Green and Klay sent away and a creator with size somehow brought it, it could have legs for them.

I don't know that Toronto is rebuilding to such an extent that a first with these protections is good enough to get them to bite on trading Jakob. There is a path in which he's a very valuable player, and the Raptors might be able to find it. Moving him for no salary relief only to go right back to having the same questions at center would be disheartening. There are prospects they could draft, of course. But with guys like Quickley and Barnes, the Raptors might not want to bank of a rookie carrying that load.
Lenneth
Rookie
And1: 1,796

Post#4 » by Lenneth » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:32 pm

Well, Warriors do have a center, who shoots a high percentage, can block shots, is mobile at 24 years old, have a 6.5 mils/3 years contract remaining, and fits the team very well. He is not quite 7ft, but I don't think Warriors are that desperate to get Poeltl by spending a first round pick. And both Wiggins and Poeltl have 3 years contracts. It's not much of a save tbh...
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,328

Post#5 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:37 pm

jayjaysee wrote:Think this is a bad idea for GSW, but if they did it - it would be the 2025 first.

i think its a worse idea for Toronto. Not sure why OP want to return to the dark ages of Toronto basketball without a real starting C. Barnes will be worn out on D in no time. Also pretty sure Poeltl can return expiring and a 1st elsewhere without having to eat wiggins' contract
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,533

Post#6 » by jayjaysee » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:49 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:Think this is a bad idea for GSW, but if they did it - it would be the 2025 first.

i think its a worse idea for Toronto. Not sure why OP want to return to the dark ages of Toronto basketball without a real starting C. Barnes will be worn out on D in no time. Also pretty sure Poeltl can return expiring and a 1st elsewhere without having to eat wiggins' contract

I don’t think Golden State is running to dump Wiggins contract. For my team - I have posted that I think they turn down Maxi/THJ/Toronto 2nd..That Dallas package is still a negative IMO, but just saying I don’t think Golden State trades Wiggins as a negative.

And don’t think Toronto would start the season with Kelly/Boucher/draft pick as the center rotation unless the draft pick was Sarr or Clingan.. So don’t think it’s going back to some dark ages. Just would be addressing the center spot in a different trade while getting a first.

Barnes would not really kill himself, since Wiggins is coming in right?
louc1970
Senior
And1: 155

Post#7 » by louc1970 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:48 pm

But with where Toronto is picking late, the options could be good. Edey should be available at 17, maybe even at 31. Chomche should be in the 31 range as well. Ware will also be in that range.
While I do not think Edey is going to wow anyone in the NBA, he is probably going to be a 10 year bench/role player. I do like Chomche though.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,570

Post#8 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:23 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:

Again. The idea is based on their developing/rebuilding curve, that they replace Poeltl with a 2024 1st and Olynyk is a stop gap option while that 2024 1st develops
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,789

Post#9 » by gswhoops » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:37 pm

I could see this deal making sense IF: (1) TOR keeps their pick and drafts Clingan, (2) GS is able to re-sign Klay at a reasonable number, and most importantly (3) GS thinks Kuminga is ready to transition to the 3
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,665

Post#10 » by Coxy » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:30 pm

I’m not losing a 1st round pick and Wiggins to get Poeltl when we have TJD there now.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#11 » by giberish » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:34 pm

TJD isn't ready for more than backup minutes. However GS needs to add bigs (really 2 - a center and a PF) that are at least somewhat of a threat from 3-point range. Poeltl just isn't that guy. he'd gum up the works on offense next to Draymond.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,789

Post#12 » by gswhoops » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:54 pm

Coxy wrote:I’m not losing a 1st round pick and Wiggins to get Poeltl when we have TJD there now.

Maybe I've got PTSD from the years we penciled in Wiseman as a 20+ mpg player, but I agree with giberish that we should be looking at TJD as a 15-20 minute a night reserve rather than a starter.

Assuming we release CP3 and Klay doesn't sign for something crazy, we have the full MLE to play with, which should be able to land us a legitimate starting-caliber 5 (Jonas Val, Hartenstein, Goga are some interesting names). Or you could use Loon/GP2's expiring contracts to swing a trade for someone.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#13 » by psman2 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:27 pm

Something like Looney/Moody/2nd for Kelly O is likely something more realistic here. GS still has to gamble that Wiggins finds his way again to have any chance. Plus I think gambling on TJD being ready for more minutes is also a risk that GS has to take. GS is not going to drastically change the way they have played with Curry in the last few years of his career.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,159

Post#14 » by Knickfan1982 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:48 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:

Yea I don't really see this deal as making the slightest bit of sense for Toronto. Wiggins and Barrett are similar styled players but Barrett is coming off a better season. There really is no need for Wiggins in Toronto.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,665

Post#15 » by Coxy » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:04 pm

gswhoops wrote:
Coxy wrote:I’m not losing a 1st round pick and Wiggins to get Poeltl when we have TJD there now.

Maybe I've got PTSD from the years we penciled in Wiseman as a 20+ mpg player, but I agree with giberish that we should be looking at TJD as a 15-20 minute a night reserve rather than a starter.

Assuming we release CP3 and Klay doesn't sign for something crazy, we have the full MLE to play with, which should be able to land us a legitimate starting-caliber 5 (Jonas Val, Hartenstein, Goga are some interesting names). Or you could use Loon/GP2's expiring contracts to swing a trade for someone.

Unless it's for a bigger deal to land a KAT type, that can also stretch the floor at C, I'm not using Wiggins and picks for a defensive shot blocking type, which we already have (I think TJD will get as good as Poeltl in short time). I'd rather use Wiggins to uphrade Klay's SG spot, or find a floor spacing C, IF we are going to trade him.

Return to Trades and Transactions