Who says no? DETROIT/Portland

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who says no? DETROIT/Atlanta

DETROIT
70%
Portland
22%
Neither-its fair
7%

Total votes: 27

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,856

Re: Who says no? DETROIT/Portland 

Post#21 » by Norm2953 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:48 pm

Those guys have value however for Portland won't send those guys away for what amounts to a Big
Mac
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,468

Post#22 » by JRoy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:54 pm

Would have to be a steak bagel at the least.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
JennetteMcCurdy
Freshman
And1: 30

Post#23 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:32 pm

I think you’re on the right track, though…..

How about this?

Brogdan for a Pistons second rounder

Brodgan is a $22.5 expiring - if Portland wants to cut salary it makes total sense. Plus Detroit might be able to trade him at the deadline for another asset.

Grant has a $37 million player option….. in 2027! No thanks - stay away!
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,327

Re: Who says no? DETROIT/Atlanta 

Post#24 » by hugepatsfan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:09 pm

Canadafan wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:Thread title is off.

But on the deal itself, if DET is taking back Grant and Brogdon into cap space, then they certainly do not owe a top 5 pick back to POR. They're taking on so much less-than-ideal money that one could even argue POR owes DET their lottery pick in exchange for the financial savings. Now, that being said, POR isn't paying a cost to dump these guys. Most of their fans prefer trading these guys for value in terms of picks/prospects over financial savings/salary dump deals.

DET has a ton of cap space but seems to prefer adding decent players vs. taking salary dumps back for picks. POR has decent players that they'd prefer to move for pick/player value over cap savings. In a roundabout way, this deal could form the basis of both teams offseason. DET takes the players into their cap space for free because they want to improve on the court. POR turns around and uses the TPEs generated to take on salary dumps that get them the pick compensation they want for these guys to begin with.

Fixed that, thanks.
Great response!
I know it's a bit much for Detroit to give up but considering our past decade of futility, it makes sense to do what needs to be done.
They desperately need an actual starting PF that can defend and shoot 3s. Not try to play Isiah Stewart out of position there. This allows Stewart to be Durens main backup center.
They also are very much in need of a vet presence at the PG spot to settle this team down and mentor our 2 young starters. Brogdan would be a big help for Detroit.
With remaining space left they would add another shooter swingman likely.

Duren Stew
Grant Fontecchio
Ausar FAsigning
Ivey Grimes
Cade Brogdan

I don't disagree with you that these guys fit well. The lineup as you have it makes sense, though I still question the long term fit of Cade/Ivey/Ausar. Feels to me one of those should go to the bench so they can stagger minutes more. But nonetheless, Grant/Brogdon would be good vets to add some respectability around them and give them a fair shot at development.

The valuation here is just way off. Those guys aren't worth a top 5 pick. But that can be fixed because if DET is willing to take both into cap space then there's probably some deal to be made, even if not a direct 2 team trade.
tacos
Senior
And1: 385

Post#25 » by tacos » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:29 pm

Portland would only want to dodge the tax not pay for space since it does not help them as much. We are only going to need to trim 10ish mil from our payroll. Detroit should look to other teams more in the need of shedding salary. And portland should hang on to their vets for assets that fit what their needs are instead of having to go through finding someone who wants to shed into a tpe they don't need or want to pay for
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,779

Post#26 » by theBigLip » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:06 pm

JennetteMcCurdy wrote:I think you’re on the right track, though…..

How about this?

Brodgan is a $22.5 expiring - if Portland wants to cut salary it makes total sense. Plus Detroit might be able to trade him at the deadline for another asset.

Totally agree. Debatable how much Grant actually helps. When you add in that contract it’s an easy pass.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,327

Post#27 » by hugepatsfan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:40 pm

tacos wrote:Portland would only want to dodge the tax not pay for space since it does not help them as much. We are only going to need to trim 10ish mil from our payroll. Detroit should look to other teams more in the need of shedding salary. And portland should hang on to their vets for assets that fit what their needs are instead of having to go through finding someone who wants to shed into a tpe they don't need or want to pay for

POR generates ~$53M in TPEs here. My guess is that POR could get more assets for taking on salary dumps left and right then they can get for Grant with 4 years left and Brogdon on an expiring deal as an injury prone player.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,856

Post#28 » by Norm2953 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:00 pm

Portland does value Brogdon a lot as a veteran mentor for Scoot.

A more likely move for Portland is Anfernee Simons going to the offensively challenged Orlando
Magic Grant is more likely going to a contender, if he does get traded
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,521

Post#29 » by Myth » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:51 am

I can’t imagine Detroit fully absorbing them. At minimum, I imagine Fournier is picking up his $19M option. Given he is pretty much deadweight salary at this point, I can see Portland taking him back to soften the financial blow. Then draft consideration would need to be figured out, but I still doesn’t make the most sense. How is Detroit feeling about Stewart these days? I ask simply because of his long term salary. Previously I would have liked him for Portland, but he keeps having issues with behavior, which likely doesn’t go well in Portland give the Jail Blazers history, so it may require a 3rd team.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,475

Post#30 » by Canadafan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:34 am

Myth wrote:I can’t imagine Detroit fully absorbing them. At minimum, I imagine Fournier is picking up his $19M option. Given he is pretty much deadweight salary at this point, I can see Portland taking him back to soften the financial blow. Then draft consideration would need to be figured out, but I still doesn’t make the most sense. How is Detroit feeling about Stewart these days? I ask simply because of his long term salary. Previously I would have liked him for Portland, but he keeps having issues with behavior, which likely doesn’t go well in Portland give the Jail Blazers history, so it may require a 3rd team.

Fournier has a team option
Myth
General Manager

Post#31 » by Myth » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:36 am

Canadafan wrote:
Myth wrote:I can’t imagine Detroit fully absorbing them. At minimum, I imagine Fournier is picking up his $19M option. Given he is pretty much deadweight salary at this point, I can see Portland taking him back to soften the financial blow. Then draft consideration would need to be figured out, but I still doesn’t make the most sense. How is Detroit feeling about Stewart these days? I ask simply because of his long term salary. Previously I would have liked him for Portland, but he keeps having issues with behavior, which likely doesn’t go well in Portland give the Jail Blazers history, so it may require a 3rd team.

Fournier has a team option

Oops, must have misread the option. Then just the Stewart portion would be in play.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,860

Post#32 » by psman2 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:36 am

Fournier is on a team option, he is gone.
pistons4ever
Junior
And1: 109

Post#33 » by pistons4ever » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:06 am

I would love to get r.williams along brogdon.

Yes he is injured prone but he has pistons DNA written all over him...

He could become our New Big ben

Something like our Pick(1-3), fournier and a 2nd round pick for williams,brogdon no.5 and no.14
Myth
General Manager

Post#34 » by Myth » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:03 pm

pistons4ever wrote:I would love to get r.williams along brogdon.

Yes he is injured prone but he has pistons DNA written all over him...

He could become our New Big ben

Something like our Pick(1-3), fournier and a 2nd round pick for williams,brogdon no.5 and no.14

I think for Portland, this would require Sarr or somebody they absolutely love falling to 3. Otherwise, I don’t expect enough of a difference between 3-5 in this draft to give up a second lottery.
JRoy
RealGM

Post#35 » by JRoy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:27 pm

How about this?

No thanks from POR.

POR values him as more than a salary dump; we won’t sign anyone better.
Edrees wrote:

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
JennetteMcCurdy
Freshman

Post#36 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:02 pm

JRoy wrote:

How about this?

No thanks from POR.

If so, Portland is going to have a quiet offseason. They’re already up to the cap.
JRoy
RealGM

Post#37 » by JRoy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:16 pm

JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
JRoy wrote:

How about this?

No thanks from POR.

If so, Portland is going to have a quiet offseason. They’re already up to the cap.

It’s a SRP or nothing?

Pretty sure we can do better than that.
Edrees wrote:

JennetteMcCurdy
Freshman

Post#38 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:27 pm

JRoy wrote:
JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
JRoy wrote:
No thanks from POR.

It’s a SRP or nothing?

Lol not much of assets from Detroit. We have young players that would get the GM fired if he traded them for an expiring, and a collection of second round picks. Maybe two second rounders?

But this thread does give some clarity - Detroit could go after expirings from teams that are close to the cap.
JRoy
RealGM

Post#39 » by JRoy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:32 pm

JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
JRoy wrote:
JennetteMcCurdy wrote:

It’s a SRP or nothing?

Lol not much of assets from Detroit. We have young players that would get the GM fired if he traded them for an expiring, and a collection of second round picks. Maybe two second rounders?

But this thread does give some clarity - Detroit could go after expirings from teams that are close to the cap.

Pass.

Nothing we want or need.
Edrees wrote:

Blaze the Nugz
Sixth Man
And1: 95

Post#40 » by Blaze the Nugz » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:35 pm

Detroit isn't giving up a high pick for a non-star player, especially player(s) waaay older then their core. For Portland it entirely depend on the protections on the pick(s). Obviously they need to part ways with Brogdon, but Portland still highly values what JG brings to the table.

Return to Trades and Transactions