Who says no? DETROIT/Portland

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who says no? DETROIT/Atlanta

DETROIT
70%
Portland
22%
Neither-its fair
7%

Total votes: 27

Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,476

Who says no? DETROIT/Portland 

Post#1 » by Canadafan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:28 pm

The trade is:

Pistons deal a future protected 1st or 2nd/2nds

For

Jerami Grant
Malcolm Brogdan

Portland escapes their ugly cap situation and adds another young guy to their core.

Detroit adds two vets into their massive amount of cap space. They still would have MLE money leftover to add one more player after this as well

Who says no?
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 381

Re: Who says no? DETROIT/Atlanta 

Post#2 » by esvl » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:47 pm

Detroit. Case closed.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,341

Post#3 » by hugepatsfan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:02 pm

Thread title is off.

But on the deal itself, if DET is taking back Grant and Brogdon into cap space, then they certainly do not owe a top 5 pick back to POR. They're taking on so much less-than-ideal money that one could even argue POR owes DET their lottery pick in exchange for the financial savings. Now, that being said, POR isn't paying a cost to dump these guys. Most of their fans prefer trading these guys for value in terms of picks/prospects over financial savings/salary dump deals.

DET has a ton of cap space but seems to prefer adding decent players vs. taking salary dumps back for picks. POR has decent players that they'd prefer to move for pick/player value over cap savings. In a roundabout way, this deal could form the basis of both teams offseason. DET takes the players into their cap space for free because they want to improve on the court. POR turns around and uses the TPEs generated to take on salary dumps that get them the pick compensation they want for these guys to begin with.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by Canadafan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:13 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:Thread title is off.

But on the deal itself, if DET is taking back Grant and Brogdon into cap space, then they certainly do not owe a top 5 pick back to POR. They're taking on so much less-than-ideal money that one could even argue POR owes DET their lottery pick in exchange for the financial savings. Now, that being said, POR isn't paying a cost to dump these guys. Most of their fans prefer trading these guys for value in terms of picks/prospects over financial savings/salary dump deals.

DET has a ton of cap space but seems to prefer adding decent players vs. taking salary dumps back for picks. POR has decent players that they'd prefer to move for pick/player value over cap savings. In a roundabout way, this deal could form the basis of both teams offseason. DET takes the players into their cap space for free because they want to improve on the court. POR turns around and uses the TPEs generated to take on salary dumps that get them the pick compensation they want for these guys to begin with.

Fixed that, thanks.
Great response!
I know it's a bit much for Detroit to give up but considering our past decade of futility, it makes sense to do what needs to be done.
They desperately need an actual starting PF that can defend and shoot 3s. Not try to play Isiah Stewart out of position there. This allows Stewart to be Durens main backup center.
They also are very much in need of a vet presence at the PG spot to settle this team down and mentor our 2 young starters. Brogdan would be a big help for Detroit.
With remaining space left they would add another shooter swingman likely.

Duren Stew
Grant Fontecchio
Ausar FAsigning
Ivey Grimes
Cade Brogdan
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Re: Who says no? DETROIT/Portland 

Post#5 » by brackdan70 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:15 pm

I don’t hate the premise for either team but that’s a lot of salary to eat for Detroit. Even though it’s a weak draft #5 is way too good. I think send some salary back to Portland and make it a lotto protected future first that turns into a 2nd if not conveyed and you might have something.
Sign here
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,392

Post#6 » by Billl » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:29 pm

Jeremi grant doesn't have top 5 pick value. This isn't particularly close.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,476

Post#7 » by JRoy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:40 pm

This is a pretty strange idea.

DET has a lot of needs but moving a lotto pick for Grant and Brogdon isn’t one of them.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Astaluego
Freshman
And1: 36

Post#8 » by Astaluego » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:40 pm

It seems like these veterans didn't do much for the Blazers..if winning games is what it's all about..If I'm the Pistons I'm offering money for P.Williams, Marshall and D.Melton and taking the best wing available..

Cade/Melton/P.Williams/(Draft)/Duren
Ivey/Grimes/Ausuar/Marshall/Stewart
Old Mike Lorenzo
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,850

Post#9 » by Snakebites » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:06 pm

I wouldn’t mind taking some solid vets into cap space, but I agree with others. The valuation is off here. The value of those two guys isn’t so positive that we owe a lotto pick back (even in this draft).

Grant and Brogdan are nice but it’s not like they had the Blazers playing high level ball. We had Grant before- we know what kind of a difference maker he was in terms of W/L. He’s not supposed to be the best vet on the team and we know what it looks like when he is.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,180

Post#10 » by NYPiston » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:09 pm

Even with this being a bad draft, there's no way I'm trading the #5 pick for a 30 year old Grant with a big long term contract.
Not sure what the end game would be for the Pistons in such a trade, to peak at play in if even that for a few years then what?
JRoy
RealGM

Post#11 » by JRoy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:26 pm

Snakebites wrote:I wouldn’t mind taking some solid vets into cap space, but I agree with others. The valuation is off here. The value of those two guys isn’t so positive that we owe a lotto pick back (even in this draft).

Grant and Brogdan are nice but it’s not like they had the Blazers playing high level ball. We had Grant before- we know what kind of a difference maker he was in terms of W/L. He’s not supposed to be the best vet on the team and we know what it looks like when he is.

POR is terrible.

POR was all time bad without Brogdon.
Edrees wrote:

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,850

Post#12 » by Snakebites » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:40 pm

JRoy wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I wouldn’t mind taking some solid vets into cap space, but I agree with others. The valuation is off here. The value of those two guys isn’t so positive that we owe a lotto pick back (even in this draft).

POR is terrible.

That’s fine. It’s still not a package worth pure cap space and a top 5 pick.
JRoy
RealGM

Post#13 » by JRoy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:42 pm

Snakebites wrote:
JRoy wrote:

POR is terrible.

I stated as much in my first response. Both have value, but not that kind of value, not close.
Edrees wrote:

psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,864

Post#14 » by psman2 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:53 pm

Common sense.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by Canadafan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:20 pm

brackdan70 wrote:I don’t hate the premise for either team but that’s a lot of salary to eat for Detroit. Even though it’s a weak draft #5 is way too good. I think send some salary back to Portland and make it a lotto protected future first that turns into a 2nd if not conveyed and you might have something.

Would luv that :D
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by Canadafan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:22 pm

Billl wrote:Jeremi grant doesn't have top 5 pick value. This isn't particularly close.

Fantastic. Talk Portland into no draft picks for them :wink:
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by Canadafan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 pm

JRoy wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
JRoy wrote:
POR is terrible.

I stated as much in my first response. Both have value, but not that kind of value, not close.

Alrighty.
How bout for just pure cap space?
Or a future protected draft pick?
Portland says no , don't you think?

*Edited original post*
JRoy
RealGM

Post#18 » by JRoy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:41 pm

Canadafan wrote:
JRoy wrote:
Snakebites wrote:That’s fine. It’s still not a package worth pure cap space and a top 5 pick.

Alrighty.

*Edited original post*

Depends.

Pure cap space is not as useful to POR as it is some franchises; quality FA do not sign in POR. That is just reality. POR must add talent through trades and the draft.

Do you know what POR got the last time we had big FA money?

Mo Harkless, Meyers Leonard, Evan Turner and Allen Crabbe.

Cap space is a spice but never a main course for POR.
Edrees wrote:

Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by Canadafan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:46 pm

JRoy wrote:
Canadafan wrote:
JRoy wrote:

Alrighty.

*Edited original post*

Depends.

Pure cap space is not as useful to POR as it is some franchises; quality FA do not sign in POR. That is just reality. POR must add talent through trades and the draft.

Ya same as Detroit.
Which is why I doubt Portland does it unless we deal the #5.
Which makes this poll a big waste of everyone's lives i guess :lol:
JRoy
RealGM

Post#20 » by JRoy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:47 pm

Canadafan wrote:
JRoy wrote:
Canadafan wrote:
Alrighty.

*Edited original post*

Depends.

Ya same as Detroit.
Which is why I doubt Portland does it unless we deal the #5.
Which makes this poll a big waste of everyone's lives i guess :lol:

This is RealGM.

This is the way.
Edrees wrote:

Return to Trades and Transactions