Miami/Cleveland/Nets

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

louc1970
Senior
And1: 156

Miami/Cleveland/Nets 

Post#1 » by louc1970 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:51 pm

Can't find enough value to make this work for Cleveland - what needs to be added?

Miami sends: Butler, Herro, rights to #15 this year
Miami receives: Mitchell, Simmons

Cleveland sends: Mitchell, Niang
Cleveland receives: Butler, rights to #15 (Miami), 27 FRP (Nets via Phl), 29 FRP (Nets)

Brooklyn sends: Simmons, 27 FRP (Phl), 29 FRP
Brooklyn receives: Herro, Niang

Miami jettisons Butler (aging and not going to hold up much long) and his nearly $50M salary for the next 2 years. They also send out Herro who has not shown to be playoff capable yet. The return is Mitchell and to make the money match, take a flier on a defensive PG in Simmons who will either be shipped out later or at the very least be used to drop the cap hit in 25.

Cleveland brings in Butler to run at the SF with Allen/Mobley/Garland. Butler provides the mental toughness needed. Shooting will be an issue but will give the Cavs a better window if they do not think Mitchell will resign.

Nets get a 3 headed offensive attack. Moving Simmons is the most important but returning a player who can be useful is good.

Moving forward Simmons will be a minimum salary player who just might find a home in Miami.
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,842

Re: Miami/Cleveland/Nets 

Post#2 » by JJ_PR » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:07 pm

I wouldn't do this. Butler is getting up there in age & had an injury riddled season.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,041

Post#3 » by Colbinii » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:23 pm

I really like the concept for the Cavaliers. They add a win-now piece to replace Mitchell and get future draft compensation.

What I dislike about this for Cleveland is they are an offense which is starved for spacing unless Strus/Niang are in the game. Butler is a spacing killer for the Cavaliers as he is now best utilized as a scoring/playmaking 4 on offense, which requires 3-4 spacers around him [See Bam/Love at Center].

As for Miami, I think they have the assets to add a star next to Jimmy/Bam and swapping Butler for a star doesn't make much sense since Butler is a win-now piece.

Hate is for Brooklyn. Herro just isn't good enough as a piece to ignore any fit concerns with Cam Thomas and Cam Johnson. Adding picks to move Simmons for low-impact players is simply poor cap management by a GM.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,241

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:26 pm

I really struggle to see the Nets helping facilitate a Mitchell trade to a third team. I also have a hard time seeing the Cavs helping the Heat extend their window. It's just very unlikely that Mitchell ends up in Miami this summer.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,857

Post#5 » by psman2 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:34 pm

Herro is just not pulling those picks. Maybe one of those 1sts in a bubble would be on the table but the Nets would just take the Rockets offer for Bridges and tear it down before resigning themselves to trading assets for a Herro level player. Orlando for their 18th and some 2nds is likely the top of the Herro market but I think I rather gamble in FA for Orlando 1st so that is likely not on the table even right now.

I really would not want to jump through the Butler hoops if I was Clev, rebalancing their roster and keeping him happy at his age just don't seem worth it.
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#6 » by drchaos » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:19 pm

If the Nets want to win now I suppose they cut cut out one of the other teams to get Butler of Mitchell for themselves but they really should be adding picks, not sending them out.

No way they give up two first rounders for trash.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,596

Post#7 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:26 pm

Simmons is an expiring contract. Moving him is the opposite of important.

Trading draft picks for Herro would be malpractice for a team in Brooklyn’s position.
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,108

Post#8 » by axeman23 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:20 am

ZERO interest in Butler on the Cavs, from a player OR personality POV. He's getting up there in age/miles, and I imagine he'd suck the joy out of our young roster we've got cooking.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,258

Post#9 » by BBallFreak » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:36 am

Their just isn't any way Miami trades Butler and their pick for Mitchell. And that's not getting into the awfulness of Herro for Simmons. Just dreadful.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,533

Post#10 » by jayjaysee » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:41 am

Doubt it’s the path Miami (or Cleveland) go this summer, but Orlando makes a lot more sense as the third team.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,073

Post#11 » by tidho » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:43 pm

MIA is a very logical Mitchell destination, but i don't see the point of adding Butler in Cleveland. He's already demonstrated being a problem when he doesn't want to be somewhere.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,258

Post#12 » by BBallFreak » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:16 pm

tidho wrote:MIA is a very logical Mitchell destination, but i don't see the point of adding Butler in Cleveland. He's already demonstrated being a problem when he doesn't want to be somewhere.
Agreed, and to add, why would Miami want to trade Butler for Mitchell? The idea would be too build a team with Mitchell, Bam, and Butler. When you factor in that this trade sees us taking Simmons for Herro and giving up our first this year, it just doesn't make sense for us, either.

This thing is DOA for us.

Sent from my F91 5G using Tapatalk

Return to Trades and Transactions