Dejounte Murray for Alex Caruso + Coby White

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,636

Dejounte Murray for Alex Caruso + Coby White 

Post#1 » by NYG » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:43 am

Dejounte Murray for Alex Caruso and Coby White

Bulls look around at LaVine deals and don't find anything worthwhile so they get LaVine's friend, Murray to jumpstart the team and run it back while also re-signing DeRozan and Williams. Vuc/Williams/DeRozan/LaVine/Murray has potential honestly even with a limited ceiling, but this would be such a realistic Bulls-style way of managing this off-season IMO.

The Hawks add a legit defender in Caruso to pair with Trae while adding a nice punch to the bench in Coby White. Having something behind Trae to give him rest could be valuable too. This would likely be one of many Hawks moves that retooled around Trae Young, but would be a nice base to create some depth.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,524

Re: Dejounte Murray for Alex Caruso + Coby White 

Post#2 » by Wolveswin » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:49 am

I like it more in other thread when it came up. J/k. Like it same.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,636

Post#3 » by NYG » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:50 am

Wolveswin wrote:I like it more in other thread when it came up. J/k. Like it same.

I went to quote it but forgot which thread it was in or who posted it.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,148

Post#4 » by OxAndFox » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:48 am

I wouldn't trade Coby White for Murray straight up. That's just me, but a 24yo just starting to come into his own with 2 more years at absolute bargain money isn't easy to give up.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,709

Post#5 » by penbeast0 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:11 am

“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,796

Post#6 » by jredsaz » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:20 am

Interesting idea. Not sure either team pulls the trigger.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,555

Post#7 » by jayjaysee » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:17 am

If Coby is the most valuable asset they can get back for Murray - I guess I get it. I’d really just prefer involving a third team and getting future draft picks instead. Atlanta needs a star to pair with Trae/Jalen and Coby’s value is tied to a very short contract..

But with semi-original ideas, think we should give drosestruts his..
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,520

Post#8 » by dms269 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:47 am

My concern is the fit of White alongside Trae. We tried the smaller SG thing and it doesn't exactly work out well. Defensively this is where DJM struggled (having to go up against bigger guys) and DJM is a much better defender than White is. I know Caruso can fill in that role but does Atlanta really want to move DJM for 2 platoon guys?
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,524

Post#9 » by Wolveswin » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:41 am

dms269 wrote:My concern is the fit of White alongside Trae. We tried the smaller SG thing and it doesn't exactly work out well. Defensively this is where DJM struggled (having to go up against bigger guys) and DJM is a much better defender than White is. I know Caruso can fill in that role but does Atlanta really want to move DJM for 2 platoon guys?

To Bulls: Murray + Moore Jr
=Bulls pair buddies Murray and LaVine.

To Hawks: Towns + Caruso + Minott
=Hawks get a star in ATL to join Trae. Cost them Jalen - but cost of doing business for a star.

To Wolves: White + Jalen Johnson + Capela
=Wolves get their $ savings, Jalen to pair with Jaden longterm and White as PGOF - who can seamlessly take over for Conley as he ages out.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,707

Post#10 » by Skybox » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:14 pm

I like the value overall and I like the vision of CHI doubling down on Lavine (cuz he's not going anywhere anyway) with DJM.

Caruso to ATL is nice, maybe they flip Coby elsewhere (ORL?) for more assets as I'm not loving the fit with Trae.

ATL sends: DeJounte Murray, AJ Griffin, Clint Capela
ATL gets: Wendell Carter, Alex Caruso, Jett Howard, ORL 24 (#18)...*significant salary savings from ORL cap space

CHI sends: Alex Caruso, Coby White
CHI gets: Dejounte Murray

ORL sends: Wendell Carter, Jett Howard, ORL 24 frp, cap space
ORL gets: Coby White, AJ Griffin, Clint Capela

* I really like it for CHI, my valuation factors DJM's defense and track record vs Coby's only recent success.
*Pretty significant rebalance for ATL and the cap relief is not a small thing WCJ is a solid, more versatile and younger fit at 5/4. Caruso is a nice complement to Trae's offensive dominance and maybe settles into the biggest role in his career. Jett could be the steal of the trade for ATL. He's been hidden in G-League by ORL, but shows very promising scoring potential. Mid-first this summer.
*ORL banks on Coby's continued ascendance as the Lead Guard and Capela's fit with Paolo & Franz, AJ is invisible in ATL but was Paolo's wingman sniper at Duke - which is a big need in ORL.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 515

Post#11 » by raleigh » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:17 pm

dms269 wrote:My concern is the fit of White alongside Trae.

Pretty much kills the deal for me. I like both Caruso and White as players but only the former is a fit on the Hawks.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,931

Post#12 » by ChettheJet » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:22 pm

In every case, I just think this buddy system of players playing with their friends is HUGELY overrated. They might be great vacation travelers, the wives might be BFFs and they share all the kids' videos but do THEY not have to wonder like so many posters here, about FIT? I just don't see how Murray gets the Bulls those 10 more wins over White. Do they keep or replace DeRozan in these scenarios? If they keep him they have a very old expensive starting 5 with little bench to speak of.

The original deal seems like ATL not getting enough even with the cost savings. Coby White has the off season to improve his decision making passing the ball where and when, get away from the fouls on 3 point shooters, and not taking so many halves off from scoring.

In the MINN scenario, I think the Bulls get the same too much and MINN probably not enough or the right parts. Capela and Gobert seem like a way worse combo than with Towns, even more so if they play Johnson at the 3, can't see Capela being happy as 7th man coming off the bench with 6th man Reid .

The ORL deal same for the Bulls but how does ORL mix White, Anthony, Suggs and Black, not 24 minutes each so 4 guys are unhappy.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,707

Post#13 » by Skybox » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:51 pm

ChettheJet wrote:In every case, I just think this buddy system of players playing with their friends is HUGELY overrated. They might be great vacation travelers, the wives might be BFFs and they share all the kids' videos but do THEY not have to wonder like so many posters here, about FIT? I just don't see how Murray gets the Bulls those 10 more wins over White. Do they keep or replace DeRozan in these scenarios? If they keep him they have a very old expensive starting 5 with little bench to speak of.

The original deal seems like ATL not getting enough even with the cost savings. Coby White has the off season to improve his decision making passing the ball where and when, get away from the fouls on 3 point shooters, and not taking so many halves off from scoring.

In the MINN scenario, I think the Bulls get the same too much and MINN probably not enough or the right parts. Capela and Gobert seem like a way worse combo than with Towns, even more so if they play Johnson at the 3, can't see Capela being happy as 7th man coming off the bench with 6th man Reid .

The ORL deal same for the Bulls but how does ORL mix White, Anthony, Suggs and Black, not 24 minutes each so 4 guys are unhappy.

White and Suggs are a perfectly complementary lineup. Anthony is a 6th man one way player...Black has been collecting DNPs, but could be a really versatile defender off the bench and, possibly, a nice complementary backcourt partner with Cole...generally, Coby would be such an upgrade (if he continues on this trajectory) that bench player's feelings are certainly not too heavily weighted in the equation. Cole/Black kind of feels like the JV version of Trae/Caruso...in terms of fit and complementary skillsets.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,616

Post#14 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:08 pm

I think Chicago keeps the younger player. And Atlanta needs a bigger fix, and won't be afraid to pursue it.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,991

Post#15 » by meekrab » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:48 pm

I don't think Chicago's front office gives any weight to who LaVine wants to play with.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,523

Post#16 » by youngcrev » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:20 am

Seems like bad value for the Bulls to me. I'm not convinced any of these guys are individually all that much more valuable than the other.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,247

Post#17 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:39 am

meekrab wrote:I don't think Chicago's front office gives any weight to who LaVine wants to play with.

They absolutely shouldn't at least.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,247

Post#18 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:43 am

jayjaysee wrote: Coby’s value is tied to a very short contract..

Same issue with Caruso. I think the rumored asking price at the deadline was silly talk, but the justification of it is how easy he is to trade for and you got 2 playoff runs. Now with only one year left on that cheap contract, I don't think he holds just a ton of trade value.

He's one of those players whose value on this board I think has always greatly exceeded his actual NBA value. Good player, but defense only guards have never gone for much trade value nor gotten big money. We can argue if the league is right with this, but these guys just traditionally aren't valued highly by the Association.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,534

Post#19 » by cgf » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:00 am

I suggested this earlier in the season, but those post-season comments from AK give me optimism that they won't make any colossally stupid moves like this. If they were even considering it we should offer to give them the picks to pay for Murray and take Coby & AC for ourselves :laugh:

But I'd much rather have Coby than Dejounte even if the contracts were reversed. Better defender, better 3pt shooter, better at getting to the rim, better at getting to the line, younger, and with more upside. So if you're higher on Murray / lower on White than I am, I can see the logic I suppose...but to me, Chicago is losing the two best players in this deal.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,725

Post#20 » by Ell Curry » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:12 am

I think this looks a lot more like say:

Caruso, #11, Dosunmu for DeJounte Murray

and the Hawks commit to Trae and draft a couple frontcourt guys and pray they develop well, or make a move for say Ingram or Jerami Grant.
Where's the D?

Return to Trades and Transactions