Mitchell to LAL

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,381

Mitchell to LAL 

Post#1 » by pipfan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:44 am

Let's say Mitchell tells Clev this summer he will not resign, and gives a short list of teams he'd go to. Would this be enough, in this situation, for the Cavs?

Reaves/Rui/JHS/rights to #17 plus their future eligible picks for Mitchell.

Clev gets Reaves to play with Garland, and Rui is a solid bench PF-I don't know much about JHS but he was a 1st last year, plus this year and I think LA would have 2 future unprotected picks and one swap available this summer. Better than letting him walk next summer
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 5,951

Re: Mitchell to LAL 

Post#2 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:48 am

I doubt the Lakers would be on his shortlist. He's supposedly likes the Brooklyn/NY situation.

Either team could outbid the Lakers anyway.
kds92
Pro Prospect
And1: 688

Post#3 » by kds92 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:55 am

Yeah, they'll offer Reaves, Rui, JHS, #17, 2029 unprotected, 2031 unprotected, and swaps. Decent offer, but the Nets can beat it.

Just a matter of where Mitchell wants to go and whether he'd be willing to commit long term before FA.
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,754

Post#4 » by nzahir » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:03 am

JustBuzzin wrote:I doubt the Lakers would be on his shortlist. He's supposedly likes the Brooklyn/NY situation.

Either team could outbid the Lakers anyway.

I dont think NY should want him

Two smaller guards isnt the right way to build, its the isse CLE has with Garland and Mitchell

BKN could make some sense, but I dont think Mitchell is a #1

Why is BKN doing this? Bridges is more of a #3a/3b or a 4 than a #2

But Mitchell for Reaves, Rui, Vincent, JHS, 3 1sts, and a couplw swaps would be what we offer
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,041

Post#5 » by mg » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:30 am

Those Laker players don't really help the Cavs fill any of their holes. It would likely take a 3rd team. With that said I think Mitchell signs his extension and the Cavs end up dealing some other guys. There will still be some quality trade targets (Dejounte Murray?) for the Lakers to pursue with their assets.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,381

Post#6 » by pipfan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:05 am

A 3rd team, like Chicago? Lavine and the picks/JHS to Clev, Reaves/Rui to Chi

Bulls get 2 rotation guys for Lavine
Cavs get a good fit at the 2-guard next to Garland. Lavine is a great shooter, awesome on the break and plays good man-to-man D. His passing is weak, but Garland is there, and his team D is bad, but Mobley/Allen clean up a lot of that stuff.

Clev goes with Garland/Lavine/?/Mobley/Allen, with some decent bench pieces
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,025

Post#7 » by R-DAWG » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:15 pm

Reaves - quality young starter on a below market deal the next 3 years
3 1st rd picks, including 2 unprotected picks
A 2nd year player who had a disappointing rookie year
Not sure how to value Rui here - worst case neutral salary best case limited positive value.

Feels like a rich package for Mitchell entering the last year of his contract. Sure, other teams can but the package, but will they?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,334

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:50 pm

pipfan wrote:A 3rd team, like Chicago? Lavine and the picks/JHS to Clev, Reaves/Rui to Chi

Bulls get 2 rotation guys for Lavine
Cavs get a good fit at the 2-guard next to Garland. Lavine is a great shooter, awesome on the break and plays good man-to-man D. His passing is weak, but Garland is there, and his team D is bad, but Mobley/Allen clean up a lot of that stuff.

Clev goes with Garland/Lavine/?/Mobley/Allen, with some decent bench pieces

I don't think that the Bulls and Lakers combined have enough picks to turn LaVine into Mitchell.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#9 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:19 pm

Brooklyn can beat the Lakers offer with plenty assets to spare.

The Lakers will need to include Lebron or AD in order to be competitive in a trade market with so few stars available.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,683

Post#10 » by toooskies » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:31 pm

I'm not sure Brooklyn would be on Mitchell's short list. They don't have a contending window even after a Mitchell trade, and Mitchell's reportedly more driven by NBA success than to be on a middling team close to his offseason home.

But I'm also not sure that the Lakers without Reaves and Rui would have enough competent role players in their team construction. I mean, it's a pretty barren roster already, and that's with a healthy LeBron and AD.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,548

Post#11 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:55 pm

Yeah, I think LAL goes all in for Mitchell. LAL can’t win a bidding war, but this is an offer that forces the other teams to raise their offers… If this is all Cleveland can get, they still take this offer if a trade demand has been made. This is better than letting Mitchell play out the season and hoping to resign him. Even if you want to flip Reaves for a better fit, or keep Reaves and trade Caris and the LAL firsts for a better fit, etc.

I think once Brooklyn is in a bidding match, it’s not really worth it. They have the assets to beat most offers.. but they don’t have the assets to beat most offers and add another player. And they need two pieces not just one.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,125

Post#12 » by jazzfan1971 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:19 pm

I think if Cleveland loves Reeves this is a competitive offer.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,334

Post#13 » by jbk1234 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:38 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:I think if Cleveland loves Reeves this is a competitive offer.

I don't think the Cavs, or more importantly Altman, can wait on those Lakers picks to convey. In a league where most teams are looking to add picks to players to upgrade, I'm not convinced they'll have good trade value either. Swapping Mitchell for Reaves/Rui likely cements us as a 6-8 seed for the next five years or until Garland/Mobley ask out.

If Mitchell wants out, and is open to extending with Brooklyn, I'd rather have DFS/Cam Johnson and the Suns picks which could actually turn into good players while Garland and Mobley are still on the roster.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach

Post#14 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:52 pm

jayjaysee wrote:Yeah, I think LAL goes all in for Mitchell. LAL can’t win a bidding war, but this is an offer that forces the other teams to raise their offers… If this is all Cleveland can get, they still take this offer if a trade demand has been made. This is better than letting Mitchell play out the season and hoping to resign him. Even if you want to flip Reaves for a better fit, or keep Reaves and trade Caris and the LAL firsts for a better fit, etc.

I think once Brooklyn is in a bidding match, it’s not really worth it. They have the assets to beat most offers.. but they don’t have the assets to beat most offers and add another player. And they need two pieces not just one.

This is why I’ve warmed up to the idea of moving Bridges.

My theory is that in the right scenario, Bridges + a 1st can bring back a star.

That leaves Brooklyn with enough assets to go out and acquire another while hoping that Cam Thomas can develop into the 3rd guy.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,548

Post#15 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:11 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:Yeah, I think LAL goes all in for Mitchell. LAL can’t win a bidding war, but this is an offer that forces the other teams to raise their offers… If this is all Cleveland can get, they still take this offer if a trade demand has been made. This is better than letting Mitchell play out the season and hoping to resign him. Even if you want to flip Reaves for a better fit, or keep Reaves and trade Caris and the LAL firsts for a better fit, etc.

That leaves Brooklyn with enough assets to go out and acquire another while hoping that Cam Thomas can develop into the 3rd guy.

Yeah, I think it’s a rough spot obviously. But until Mitchell/Ingram/Lauri are resigned - I think there’s real hope of stealing one in free agency if you have Claxton/Bridges on the roster with the extra draft capital to trade for a second piece..

If 2025 free agency doesn’t work out.. I think you renegotiate Bridges using that cap space and give Houston one more mid/late lottery pick while locking up Bridges on a deal closer to 20% of the cap than 25%..

I personally would trade Bridges but understand the vision the team has and think it could work out. Wouldn’t care if it was Bridges+ for a star or Bridges for the best rebuilding package and get ready for free agency pitches..
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach

Post#16 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:20 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:

Yeah, I think it’s a rough spot obviously. But until Mitchell/Ingram/Lauri are resigned - I think there’s real hope of stealing one in free agency if you have Claxton/Bridges on the roster with the extra draft capital to trade for a second piece..

If 2025 free agency doesn’t work out.. I think you renegotiate Bridges using that cap space and give Houston one more mid/late lottery pick while locking up Bridges on a deal closer to 20% of the cap than 25%..

I personally would trade Bridges but understand the vision the team has and think it could work out. Wouldn’t care if it was Bridges+ for a star or Bridges for the best rebuilding package and get ready for free agency pitches..

The good news is we’ll learn a lot about what 2025 free agency looks like this summer when Mitchell and Lauri are extension eligible.

If they both extend I think Brooklyn looks hard at moving Bridges for a star or a rebuilding package.

His play doesn’t justify the toxicity of his buddies across the river publicly bullying him.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 158

Post#17 » by louc1970 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:08 pm

Mitchell will also be professional in attitude and play, however, no one is going to offer max return for him with 1 year left. He will play it out and then go where he wants.
Any team looking to trade for him, needs to look at Miami, NYK, Philly. If those teams have something you want, they will be able to trade Mitchell there at the deadline or off season to get value back.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,784

Post#18 » by DowJones » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:11 pm

-Reaves
-Rui
-Draft rights to the player LA takes at #17
-2029 unprotected 1st
-2031 unprotected 1st

If Mitchell refuses to extend, then this is a competitive offer. I personally like Rui and Reaves as players. I think both can be part of a 7 or 8 man playoff rotation and both have a little upside to possibly be more. The Cavs have the 20th pick in the draft so they would also be adding 2 top-20 rookies to develop this summer. Garland, Mobley, Rui, Reaves, and Allen are all 26 or younger. Okoro, Porter, and the 2 1st round picks will be 23 or younger. That is a nice core. For a few years the Cavs will have a competitive team with a bit of upside while they pay off their Utah debt. After a few years, the Cavs can see what they have and then be able to move some of those Laker picks plus their own future picks for a bigger piece, if necessary.

I obviously want Mitchell to extend and then we move on with a talented young team and a different head coach, but if we are forced into a position of having to make a move this summer then the deal above is viable.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,075

Post#19 » by tidho » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:05 pm

DowJones wrote:-Reaves
-Rui
-Draft rights to the player LA takes at #17
-2029 unprotected 1st
-2031 unprotected 1st

If Mitchell refuses to extend, then this is a competitive offer. I personally like Rui and Reaves as players. I think both can be part of a 7 or 8 man playoff rotation and both have a little upside to possibly be more. The Cavs have the 20th pick in the draft so they would also be adding 2 top-20 rookies to develop this summer. Garland, Mobley, Rui, Reaves, and Allen are all 26 or younger. Okoro, Porter, and the 2 1st round picks will be 23 or younger. That is a nice core. For a few years the Cavs will have a competitive team with a bit of upside while they pay off their Utah debt. After a few years, the Cavs can see what they have and then be able to move some of those Laker picks plus their own future picks for a bigger piece, if necessary.

I obviously want Mitchell to extend and then we move on with a talented young team and a different head coach, but if we are forced into a position of having to make a move this summer then the deal above is viable.

It's not a horrible offer. Not sure it would be the best one, but agree that Reaves and Rui would fit nicely into a Mitchell-less CLE rotation. I wouldn't be too upset by this.

Return to Trades and Transactions