D'lo's decision

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,798

Re: D'lo's decision 

Post#21 » by gswhoops » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:21 pm

He should just opt in. I don't see anyone giving him more than MLE money (and even then I don't see him getting more than a 2 year deal)
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,986

Post#22 » by shrink » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:37 pm

I’m not saying anything most here don’t realize, but in most of these cases, the team wants the player to opt in. Even if the deal is a little over-priced, they want to use the expiring contract as matching salary in a trade for someone else. Russell can leverage that a little with Pelinka, saying, “If I agree to opt in, I want you to work to send me to a team that’s a good fit for my career.” I think that will be the main factor in DLo’s decision.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,561

Post#23 » by HornetJail » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:04 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
HornetJail wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:I think he could see Orlando/SAS or even staying k. LAL as a chance to get a long term contract. His worst case is the MLE, right? From Charlotte or Brooklyn or Houston or Toronto, etc.. So it’s a coin flip of losing 5 mil or locking up a 20ish million dollar a year long term deal..

I think LAL has to be hoping he opts in. Preferably to upgrade him via trade, but worst case keep him, they’re limited in assets and contracts.

Charlotte's got LaMelo, Tre Mann, and Micic at PG. Unless we're drafting a high upside guard, I'd be surprised to see us add one this summer. Russell is probably the last thing we need because we're set at his position (thanks OKC!)

Yeah, I think the two from OKC would still be in OKC if they had on court impact… A contender dumped them because they currently don’t help on the court. And think Charlotte might see Russell playing a similar role with Ball as Terry did..

But I don’t really think any of Mann, Micic, Russell are that good. Just think the two from OKC have a lot more to prove than putting up fun stats while tanking before being pencilled in..

they're not that special, but we're not comparing them against OKC's guards anymore, we're comparing them against DLo and I'm not convinced they're worse
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Astaluego
Freshman
And1: 37

Post#24 » by Astaluego » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:10 pm

He opts to participate...and is sent to the Suns with his friend Booker. Russell/Hachimura/Vandervilt for Beal..?
Old Mike Lorenzo
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,366

Post#25 » by jbk1234 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:22 pm

R-DAWG wrote:D'Lo is who he is - a middle of the rotation innings eater. He can help you get through a regular season but you can't really rely on him for a postseason run (Julius Randle is another player that fits this mold). Having said that, there are teams that would love to elevate from below the play-in to into the playoffs and that's where D'Lo adds value.

One idea for a sign and trade I had was with Brooklyn:

Dennis Schroeder and Dorien Finey-Smith for D'Lo in a sign and trade starting around $25MM per year.

Brooklyn was interested in DLo at the deadline and he should elevate them into the play-in if they go with the approach of staying relevant so stars find them attractive. DLo-Bridges-Cam Johnson-Nic Claxton is their core and they retain Simmons expiring contract and all their draft capital for future moves.

Lakers get better fitting role players, freeing up other contracts and their picks to make a trade for a DLo replacement like Dejonte Murray

Murray-Reaves-DFS-James-Davis with Schroeder anchoring the bench.

How does DLo making $25M per have enough trade value to pull DFS? Maybe the Nets offer Schroder and cap savings but even that seems far-fetched.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 816

Post#26 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:28 pm

Astaluego wrote:He opts to participate...and is sent to the Suns with his friend Booker. Russell/Hachimura/Vandervilt for Beal..?

This seems like a nightmare idea from the Lakers.
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,122

Post#27 » by axeman23 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:10 am

shrink wrote:I’m not saying anything most here don’t realize, but in most of these cases, the team wants the player to opt in. Even if the deal is a little over-priced, they want to use the expiring contract as matching salary in a trade for someone else. Russell can leverage that a little with Pelinka, saying, “If I agree to opt in, I want you to work to send me to a team that’s a good fit for my career.” I think that will be the main factor in DLo’s decision.

I don't think the Lakers can legally trade with a Chinese team, right? :lol:
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,764

Post#28 » by nzahir » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:31 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Astaluego wrote:He opts to participate...and is sent to the Suns with his friend Booker. Russell/Hachimura/Vandervilt for Beal..?

This seems like a nightmare idea from the Lakers.

Hell no

You guys can have Dlo at 17m, Reaves, Rui, JHS, a couple 1sts, and a couple swaps for KD
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,351

Post#29 » by Godaddycurse » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:40 am

Dlo + fillers for lavine
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,096

Post#30 » by Colbinii » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:55 am

Godaddycurse wrote:Dlo + fillers for lavine

This is the low hanging fruit which I like but with Coby White's emergence, Chicago may want to re-route D'lo elsewhere.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#31 » by Godaddycurse » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:00 am

Colbinii wrote:

This is the low hanging fruit which I like but with Coby White's emergence, Chicago may want to re-route D'lo elsewhere.

Yea i think Bulls could use Rui though so really Dlo is the filler here :lol:
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,096

Post#32 » by Colbinii » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:01 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Rui is a nice fit in Chicago.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,577

Post#33 » by Devilanche » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:20 am

HornetJail wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
HornetJail wrote:Charlotte's got LaMelo, Tre Mann, and Micic at PG. Unless we're drafting a high upside guard, I'd be surprised to see us add one this summer. Russell is probably the last thing we need because we're set at his position (thanks OKC!)

Yeah, I think the two from OKC would still be in OKC if they had on court impact… A contender dumped them because they currently don’t help on the court. And think Charlotte might see Russell playing a similar role with Ball as Terry did..

But I don’t really think any of Mann, Micic, Russell are that good. Just think the two from OKC have a lot more to prove than putting up fun stats while tanking before being pencilled in..

they're not that special, but we're not comparing them against OKC's guards anymore, we're comparing them against DLo and I'm not convinced they're worse

Yea , just trying to put up a decent team and both are at least adequate backup for that ?

Maybe 2 offseason a better guard if Mann haven’t improve ?
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Astaluego
Freshman
And1: 37

Post#34 » by Astaluego » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:32 am

Colbinii wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

As a mediocre player on a mediocre team??.. Lavine is a borderline Allstar, when he is healthy... the reduction in talent is considerable
Old Mike Lorenzo
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#35 » by Godaddycurse » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:07 pm

Astaluego wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

As a mediocre player on a mediocre team??.. Lavine is a borderline Allstar, when he is healthy... the reduction in talent is considerable

So is the money saved long term, also its a matter of if he is healthy instead of when

Return to Trades and Transactions