D'lo's decision

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 816

D'lo's decision 

Post#1 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:12 pm

So D'lo has once again completely fallen apart in the postseason and his time in LA looks done. But his contract means there's an interesting discussion point here.

D'lo has a $18.7m player option. If he picks this up, then the Lakers will almost certainly trade him and he will not be able to have any control over what team he ends up on next year. If he declines the option, then he can choose his destination, but I'm not sure he will get $18.7m or more per year after how bad he was in the postseason.

What should D'lo do here?
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,166

Re: D'lo's decision 

Post#2 » by BK_2020 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:22 pm

Having like 5 teams to choose from is not worth giving up $16 mil.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,028

Post#3 » by R-DAWG » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:30 pm

D'Lo is who he is - a middle of the rotation innings eater. He can help you get through a regular season but you can't really rely on him for a postseason run (Julius Randle is another player that fits this mold). Having said that, there are teams that would love to elevate from below the play-in to into the playoffs and that's where D'Lo adds value.

One idea for a sign and trade I had was with Brooklyn:

Dennis Schroeder and Dorien Finey-Smith for D'Lo in a sign and trade starting around $25MM per year.

Brooklyn was interested in DLo at the deadline and he should elevate them into the play-in if they go with the approach of staying relevant so stars find them attractive. DLo-Bridges-Cam Johnson-Nic Claxton is their core and they retain Simmons expiring contract and all their draft capital for future moves.

Lakers get better fitting role players, freeing up other contracts and their picks to make a trade for a DLo replacement like Dejonte Murray

Murray-Reaves-DFS-James-Davis with Schroeder anchoring the bench.
balsamic_ducks
Junior
And1: 226

Post#4 » by balsamic_ducks » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:55 pm

R-DAWG wrote:D'Lo is who he is - a middle of the rotation innings eater. He can help you get through a regular season but you can't really rely on him for a postseason run (Julius Randle is another player that fits this mold). Having said that, there are teams that would love to elevate from below the play-in to into the playoffs and that's where D'Lo adds value.

Dennis Schroeder and Dorien Finey-Smith for D'Lo in a sign and trade starting around $25MM per year.

Brooklyn was interested in DLo at the deadline and he should elevate them into the play-in if they go with the approach of staying relevant so stars find them attractive. DLo-Bridges-Cam Johnson-Nic Claxton is their core and they retain Simmons expiring contract and all their draft capital for future moves.

Lakers get better fitting role players, freeing up other contracts and their picks to make a trade for a DLo replacement like Dejonte Murray

25m/yr seems high for DLO. I agree he's a good innings eater but always crumbles in the playoffs. I think he ends getting a longer term deal around what he's making now. He could be a good fit on the magic if they strike out on higher point guard targets. They can cover up DLO's defensive weaknesses
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,553

Post#5 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:13 pm

I think he could see Orlando/SAS or even staying k. LAL as a chance to get a long term contract. His worst case is the MLE, right? From Charlotte or Brooklyn or Houston or Toronto, etc.. So it’s a coin flip of losing 5 mil or locking up a 20ish million dollar a year long term deal..

I think LAL has to be hoping he opts in. Preferably to upgrade him via trade, but worst case keep him, they’re limited in assets and contracts.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,323

Post#6 » by Domejandro » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:34 pm

A major issue for D'Angelo Russell is that he is kind of an eccentric personality, so it is hard to see where he would fit in comfortably. I think Brooklyn is a solid fit, though honestly only if he picks up his Player Option and gets traded (can be negotiated between the parties prior to it being picked up so he feels comfortable doing so).

Maybe something whacky like Phoenix trading all of their tradeable contracts + #22 (after draft for salary filling) in an extend-and-trade, but beyond that, the market is pretty rough for him. I think he just picks up his Player Option.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,148

Post#7 » by tiderulz » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:43 pm

balsamic_ducks wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:D'Lo is who he is - a middle of the rotation innings eater. He can help you get through a regular season but you can't really rely on him for a postseason run (Julius Randle is another player that fits this mold). Having said that, there are teams that would love to elevate from below the play-in to into the playoffs and that's where D'Lo adds value.

25m/yr seems high for DLO. I agree he's a good innings eater but always crumbles in the playoffs. I think he ends getting a longer term deal around what he's making now. He could be a good fit on the magic if they strike out on higher point guard targets. They can cover up DLO's defensive weaknesses

do not want him on the Magic. That team has an identity of hard play, with everyone giving effort on defense especially. They need a good leader at PG, that definitely is not Russell. Its not covering up his weakness on D, that can be done. Its everything else with DLO.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,589

Post#8 » by Mavrelous » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:44 pm

Doubt he gets full MLE TBH, if I was him I'd opt in
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,587

Post#9 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:49 pm

I'll bet he opts in, but I love the magic fit. Before going for 120 yesterday magic scored 83 and 86 in the 2 road playoff games. They need scorers, DLo can do that. Hard playing off lebron when the pressure peaks.

Brooklyn reunion wouldn't be terrible either.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#10 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:50 pm

Mavrelous wrote:Doubt he gets full MLE TBH, if I was him I'd opt in

I think Brooklyn has it waiting for him. Only a one year, but DLO/Dennis at least help burn the season.

I think a few teams would, but Brooklyn really has no reason not to.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,616

Post#11 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:59 pm

jayjaysee wrote:

I think Brooklyn has it waiting for him. Only a one year, but DLO/Dennis at least help burn the season.

But a 1 year MLE is just a financial downgrade.

I'm thinking he opts in. He wants LA, we gets the money and if they trade him it will be somewhere that gives him more opportunity right?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,148

Post#12 » by tiderulz » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:I'll bet he opts in, but I love the magic fit. Before going for 120 yesterday magic scored 83 and 86 in the 2 road playoff games. They need scorers, DLo can do that. Hard playing off lebron when the pressure peaks.

Brooklyn reunion wouldn't be terrible either.

Hard playing off Lebron?? with AD and Lebron on the court, he should be getting plenty of open looks. His mental makeup is horrible. He crumbles under any responsibility and pressure. I would not want him around a young team. That video last night cost him millions.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#13 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:18 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

But a 1 year MLE is just a financial downgrade.

I'm thinking he opts in. He wants LA, we gets the money and if they trade him it will be somewhere that gives him more opportunity right?

Yeah, I think he opts out thinking he can get paid by SAS or Orlando. Or maybe Charlotte stretching Bertans guarantee?

But the worst case is he gets a one year MLE from Brooklyn. Or Toronto, Charlotte, Houston..

It’s a five million dollar gamble on himself. That he’ll likely lose.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,561

Post#14 » by HornetJail » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:34 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I think he could see Orlando/SAS or even staying k. LAL as a chance to get a long term contract. His worst case is the MLE, right? From Charlotte or Brooklyn or Houston or Toronto, etc.. So it’s a coin flip of losing 5 mil or locking up a 20ish million dollar a year long term deal..

I think LAL has to be hoping he opts in. Preferably to upgrade him via trade, but worst case keep him, they’re limited in assets and contracts.

Charlotte's got LaMelo, Tre Mann, and Micic at PG. Unless we're drafting a high upside guard, I'd be surprised to see us add one this summer. Russell is probably the last thing we need because we're set at his position (thanks OKC!)
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,616

Post#15 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:42 pm

jayjaysee wrote:It’s a five million dollar gamble on himself. That he’ll likely lose.

Oh, so we are betting on Dlo missing a shot he takes? :lol:
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#16 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:45 pm

HornetJail wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:I think he could see Orlando/SAS or even staying k. LAL as a chance to get a long term contract. His worst case is the MLE, right? From Charlotte or Brooklyn or Houston or Toronto, etc.. So it’s a coin flip of losing 5 mil or locking up a 20ish million dollar a year long term deal..

Charlotte's got LaMelo, Tre Mann, and Micic at PG. Unless we're drafting a high upside guard, I'd be surprised to see us add one this summer. Russell is probably the last thing we need because we're set at his position (thanks OKC!)

Yeah, I think the two from OKC would still be in OKC if they had on court impact… A contender dumped them because they currently don’t help on the court. And think Charlotte might see Russell playing a similar role with Ball as Terry did..

But I don’t really think any of Mann, Micic, Russell are that good. Just think the two from OKC have a lot more to prove than putting up fun stats while tanking before being pencilled in..
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#17 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:46 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:It’s a five million dollar gamble on himself. That he’ll likely lose.

Oh, so we are betting on Dlo missing a shot he takes? :lol:

It’s a safe bet. But Russell likes shooting anyways
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,727

Post#18 » by ConSarnit » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:05 pm

balsamic_ducks wrote:

Yeah, I can't see which team is willing to give DLo a 50% raise. He got 2/36 last year, which implies his market is not strong. And part of that money is because the Laker's wanted to use him as salary ballast in a trade. If you're BKN who are you competing with that you have to give DLo $25m/yr?

Feels like the best DLo can do is get the same deal he's getting now, maybe a little longer. He's probably getting looked at as an MLE level guy at this point considering you know you can't count on him in the playoffs.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,727

Post#19 » by ConSarnit » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:09 pm

Kick the can down the road? Lakers get him to opt out and give him the same deal with a slight raise? DLo locks in another ~$40m and the Laker's retain their "trade asset".
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#20 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:13 pm

ConSarnit wrote:

Kick the can down the road? Lakers get him to opt out and give him the same deal with a slight raise? DLo locks in another ~$40m and the Laker's retain their "trade asset".

If he opts out, they can’t trade him in the offseason.. don’t think they really want to be stuck with him through January again. But he’s better than nothing was my point. It’s sad, but yeah.. You give him the same type of contract before looking at free agency

Return to Trades and Transactions