Heat/Cavs/Thunder

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

louc1970
Senior
And1: 159

Heat/Cavs/Thunder 

Post#1 » by louc1970 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:23 pm

If the Cavs do make it deep and know Mitchell is not resigning:

Heat send: Robinson, Herro, 29 FRP
Heat receive: Mitchell

Thunder send: Jaylin Williams, K. Williams, Wallace, 2 FRPs (24/25)
Thunder receive: LeVert, Herro

Cavs send: Mitchell
Cavs receive: Jaylin Wiliams, K. Williams, Wallace, 2 FRPs (24/25), Robinson, 29 FRP

Cavs cash in on Mitchell by getting the outside shooter they need in Robinson, get a young Wallace to run with the younger Garland, Mobley, Allen. A back up center in J. Williams. And get 3 picks spread out to allow needs to be flushed. Release those cap holds and Cavs have a good amount of money under the cap to spend.

Thunder move off of a couple back-up/role players and the potential of Wallace for a seasoned LeVert and player capable of leading the second group or slide into the 2 spot. Still have cap money to fill either the center or PF back up spot.

Heat giving up on the role players and bringing in a star to partner with Jaquez and Adebayo. Miami gets under the cap.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 811

Re: Heat/Cavs/Thunder 

Post#2 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:30 pm

Outside of the Butler trade, has one of these "the Heat offer absolutely nothing and get a star in return" trade scenarios ever come close to happening.

The Heat strike out every year because they have no assets.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#3 » by daoneandonly » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:32 pm

Terrible for the 2 teams not named MIami. Their guys dont hold this kind of value
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,868

Post#4 » by psman2 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:34 pm

LeVert and Herro together likely cannot pull Carson alone here and your trade falls apart right there.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,685

Post#5 » by toooskies » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:09 pm

If OKC is giving up more value than the Heat, they'd better be getting the best player in the deal. No reason for the Heat to be here.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,791

Post#6 » by DowJones » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:12 pm

Just no. Duncan/Herro/1 draft pick will never get you Donovan Mitchell.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,552

Post#7 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:12 pm

OKC sees Mitchell being traded for one first more than they are paying, but takes Herro instead?

Herro isn’t worth any two of Cason, lottery pick, future first.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,358

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:18 pm

Agree that if the Cavs would take back the OKC package, the Heat get cut out. Disagree that the OKC package is all that enticing. The Thunder's B and C level prospects plus a couple of generic picks doesn't get me excited.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,685

Post#9 » by toooskies » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:46 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Agree that if the Cavs would take back the OKC package, the Heat get cut out. Disagree that the OKC package is all that enticing. The Thunder's B and C level prospects plus a couple of generic picks doesn't get me excited.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't feel like the highest bid although I'm intrigued by Wallace. OKC can certainly afford to pay more.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,273

Post#10 » by BBallFreak » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:50 pm

I like Mitchell but I don't see the fit for Miami if we're trading Robinson. I guess for this deal though, you take it and worry about fit later.

Still, this is a crap trade for OKC. If, however, Mitchell refuses to resign in Cleveland they may be forced to take less than market value for him. Not sure this is it, though...
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,166

Post#11 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:37 am

jbk1234 wrote:Agree that if the Cavs would take back the OKC package, the Heat get cut out. Disagree that the OKC package is all that enticing. The Thunder's B and C level prospects plus a couple of generic picks doesn't get me excited.

Just because they aren't the Thunder's best young players doesn't mean they don't have enough value. Cason would be the Cavs third best guard as a rookie. And he's one of the best guard defenders already.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,130

Post#12 » by BK_2020 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:28 am

The value of another deep playoff run is worth much more than getting some trash picks and players back. The Cavs can then s&t to recoup probably the same value as being proposed here.
DowJones
RealGM

Post#13 » by DowJones » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:53 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

Just because they aren't the Thunder's best young players doesn't mean they don't have enough value. Cason would be the Cavs third best guard as a rookie. And he's one of the best guard defenders already.

That package isn’t close to enough to get Cleveland to trade Mitchell. This is $.25 on the dollar. At that point, the Cavs are better off taking this into the season and seeing how it plays out.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,226

Post#14 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:08 pm

This is terrible for OKC like mentioned...even without Cason Wallace and one less FRP I wouldn't do it

I don't think it's that bad for the Cavs if Donovan Mitchell says to the FO that he's gone. Siakam returned way less than 3 FRPs + a good prospect like Cason Wallace (and Kenrich is a decent bench player). If I understood, OKC would send 2024 FRP which is going to be in the lottery. I know it's not great and way less than what they paid to get him but what is likely gonna be the best offer for an expiring Donovan Mitchell?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,358

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:14 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:This is terrible for OKC like mentioned...even without Cason Wallace and one less FRP I wouldn't do it

I don't think it's that bad for the Cavs if Donovan Mitchell says to the FO that he's gone. Siakam returned way less than 3 FRPs + a good prospect like Cason Wallace (and Kenrich is a decent bench player). If I understood, OKC would send 2024 FRP which is going to be in the lottery. I know it's not great and way less than what they paid to get him but what is likely gonna be the best offer for an expiring Donovan Mitchell?

We really don't know what the best offer will be until it's been made. We don't know how many teams will call or what the Cavs will want. We also don't know that he'll even hit the market this summer. We don't know whether he'll give oral assurances to any of the teams who want trade for him regarding an extension. But in addition to being younger than Siakam, the key difference between the two is that the Mitchell could be extended before the moratorium if he's traded this summer.

If fans want to make a bunch of assumptions that are favorable to their desired outcome, they're free to do so, but given the fact that fans of different teams are making conflicting assumptions in order to justify differing outcomes, they can't all be correct.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
psman2
General Manager

Post#16 » by psman2 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:33 pm

BK_2020 wrote:The value of another deep playoff run is worth much more than getting some trash picks and players back. The Cavs can then s&t to recoup probably the same value as being proposed here.

Can you list the last SNT that netted 3 1sts, one recent lottery player with promise and no bad salary? With a team like Brooklyn waiting with cap space as a true threat to sign him outright or be used as leverage for another team not to have to give up the farm in a SNT which would be in Mitchell's future interests for his new team not to overpay.

A SNT will likely be Clev actually paying some 2nds to get a TPE or maybe a team giving one of two 1sts to move around some salary to make it happen. I would not go into this season if Mitchell declares he is not extending expecting to be able to recoup much if anything in a SNT after the season.
DowJones
RealGM

Post#17 » by DowJones » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:10 pm

psman2 wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:The value of another deep playoff run is worth much more than getting some trash picks and players back. The Cavs can then s&t to recoup probably the same value as being proposed here.

Can you list the last SNT that netted 3 1sts, one recent lottery player with promise and no bad salary? With a team like Brooklyn waiting with cap space as a true threat to sign him outright or be used as leverage for another team not to have to give up the farm in a SNT which would be in Mitchell's future interests for his new team not to overpay.

A SNT will likely be Clev actually paying some 2nds to get a TPE or maybe a team giving one of two 1sts to move around some salary to make it happen. I would not go into this season if Mitchell declares he is not extending expecting to be able to recoup much if anything in a SNT after the season.

So let's say Mitchell really wants to go to Miami. If that is the case, then the only way he can get there in 2025 is if Cleveland does a sign and trade. The same with the Lakers, Knicks, etc. I agree that if Cleveland is getting reasonable offers this summer then their best move is to trade Donovan, but if the best offer is Herro and a 2029 1st then they are better off keeping him at least until the trade deadline.
psman2
General Manager

Post#18 » by psman2 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:33 pm

DowJones wrote:
psman2 wrote:

So let's say Mitchell really wants to go to Miami. If that is the case, then the only way he can get there in 2025 is if Cleveland does a sign and trade. The same with the Lakers, Knicks, etc. I agree that if Cleveland is getting reasonable offers this summer then their best move is to trade Donovan, but if the best offer is Herro and a 2029 1st then they are better off keeping him at least until the trade deadline.

There are avenues for teams to clear space that don't involve paying 4 1sts in value in a SNT. Like the Knicks could move off of money(hart/robinson/etc) and/or not resign Randle and could get under the cap enough to sign Mitchell outright. LeBron decides to take a Jordan approach to his final years and take a big discount that allows LAL to sign Mitchell. Miami can even likely go the cap space route cheaper than 4 1sts.

The point is I would not go into this offseason with the approach that a SNT netting Clev 4 1sts in value is the worst case scenario they can fall back on if they don't trade him this offseason.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,130

Post#19 » by BK_2020 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:34 pm

4 1sts lmao
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,042

Post#20 » by mg » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:40 pm

The Lakers could easily beat this offer. If Heat are unwilling to include Jaquez I doubt they have a viable way to obtain Mitchell.

Return to Trades and Transactions