Det/Mem: #53 (and future 2nd) for Kennard

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,625

Det/Mem: #53 (and future 2nd) for Kennard 

Post#1 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:29 pm

Title kinda says it all.

Detroit uses a late 2nd and a future 2nd (which to be debated but they have future Knicks 2nds in '28 and '29) which seem about right to me to lock in a floor spacer on a reasonable contract and improve the team and give spacing to their youth while not compromising their ability to have flexibility when they will need it.

Memphis takes the team option and then turns it for a small profit and a TPE, allowing a 3 teamer or a follow up deal.

Agreed to before the draft but executed in July so that it works cap wise and so Memphis has time to shop around and make it a 3 teamer if it fits best that way.

I know Detroit fans might push back and call it a waste of 2 2nds, but I think it is a pretty reasonable usage of threading the needle between getting help now and not using up value now, and no I don't think there are a ton of value to dump players deals out there or that Detroit wants someone useless clogging their bench as the coach gets fired etc.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,882

Re: Det/Mem: #53 (and future 2nd) for Kennard 

Post#2 » by psman2 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:44 pm

I am leaning towards right now if no trade is found before his option deadline that we release Kennard. At that point we can still resign him or work him into a SNT. So if we can keep this trade open into the off season to expand into a 3 way using Kennard's full matching ability then I would be all for it. Now I do think that it is a possibility that we decline Kennard and later decide to bring him back on a slightly more team friendly contract, that option would be closed to us after this trade. If this trade is made we are likely just selling this pick or pick 58 for a million or so, not a huge incentive alone.... the future 2nd would be the reason to make the deal.

For Det, I think they might be interested but if I was them I would just save my assets and wait out the Kennard decision and go after him in FA. But having him only locked in for one year does give Det flexibility and in FA he likely is still demanding multiple years. Very likely if healthy can be flipped at the deadline too, expiring shooters are always in demand.
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 198

Post#3 » by QMemphis » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:18 pm

Price for Kennard will be around 3 future seconds. Magic and Pistons should be the two bidders with Magic being the more natural trade fit given they are a playoff team and Kennard is impressed with their youth.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,364

Post#4 » by Godaddycurse » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:29 pm

QMemphis wrote:Price for Kennard will be around 3 future seconds. Magic and Pistons should be the two bidders with Magic being the more natural trade fit given they are a playoff team and Kennard is impressed with their youth.

i think they will rather look elsewhere in FA with their capspace than pay draft picks for Kennard
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,561

Post#5 » by jayjaysee » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:32 pm

I think Memphis wants to duck the tax one more year, or at worst Luke isn’t worth paying the tax for. And Detroit needs to add shooters and have enough cap space to still throw a bad contract out there else where.

Think both teams do this.

I think it’s a really small chance that Memphis is aggregating salaries, and needing Luke to do so, that they end up regretting doing this. Plenty of bigs would fit in that TPE if they go that route.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,275

Post#6 » by vege » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:00 pm

Detroit does need shooting but the last thing we need is another defensive Sieve guard. We need players that play both sides of the floor.
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,498

Post#7 » by oldncreaky » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:25 pm

vege wrote:Detroit does need shooting but the last thing we need is another defensive Sieve guard. We need players that play both sides of the floor.

This. The closest we have to a 2-way player who contributes on both ends is probably . . . Beef Stew. A good backup C/PF fairly paid, but that's all he is.

We have $60M in cap space, and should use it on 2-way players. Wasting room, let alone room + SRPs, to reunite with Kennard is beyond pointless.
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis

Return to Trades and Transactions