Instant Reaction: What Do The Suns Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 751

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Suns Do This Off-Season? 

Post#61 » by cjmcallist » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:50 pm

If Booker goes, it feels like a reset/rebuild and they're looking for picks.
If KD goes, it feels like a retool and they're looking for contributors.
Am I off on that?
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,349

Post#62 » by hugepatsfan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:51 pm

PHX gives: G Devin Booker, C Josef Nurkic
PHX gets: G/F Jaylen Brown, G Derrick White

BOS gives: G/F Jaylen Brown, G Derrick White
BOS gets: G Devin Booker, Starting F from 3rd team

3rd team gives: Starting forward
3rd team gets: Nurkic

Obviously needs picks to balance. But from the Suns standpoint, you'd have a new lineup of White/Beal/Brown/Durant/Min signing big man. On paper, that should mesh well.

For BOS, they'd have the crunch time ball handler to help Tatum that Brown has struggled to be at times.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#63 » by hugepatsfan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:53 pm

cjmcallist wrote:If Booker goes, it feels like a reset/rebuild and they're looking for picks.
If KD goes, it feels like a retool and they're looking for contributors.
Am I off on that?

I think opposite if you mean them as standalones, one without the other. If they're trading Booker but keeping KD as old as he is, you retool around KD.

You don't trade KD and get better. That's not a shakeup that helps you. So in that case you're likely looking to do what PHI did where they traded for assets with the idea of building back up around Embiid later. PHX would do same with Booker.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,590

Post#64 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:54 pm

Curious which team is giving up a starting forward for Nurkic for free? Also really don't think Boston should break what isn't broken.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,434

Post#65 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:56 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:PHX gives: G Devin Booker, C Josef Nurkic

Obviously needs picks to balance. But from the Suns standpoint, you'd have a new lineup of White/Beal/Brown/Durant/Min signing big man. On paper, that should mesh well.

For BOS, they'd have the crunch time ball handler to help Tatum that Brown has struggled to be at times.

White makes more than Nurkic, so that trade is illegal
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 751

Post#66 » by cjmcallist » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:57 pm

Klomp wrote:I don't think anyone has hit the right team for a Durant trade yet.
To me, it's New Orleans.

Both teams you could argue need to mix things up after disappointing playoff appearances. The Suns need to spread out some salaries, while the Pelicans could benefit from a consolidation trade.

Durant could fetch a player haul of CJ, Nance, Murphy, plus whatever picks. Or perhaps Ingram, Nance, Daniels, something like that.

I thought about this, but doesn't the new CBA prevent player aggregation over the 2nd apron? In other words, they have to trade KD for a 1:1 trade AND reduce or maintain payroll at the end of the trade? Or is it just that they have to reduce or maintain payroll?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,215

Post#67 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:59 pm

cjmcallist wrote:
Klomp wrote:I don't think anyone has hit the right team for a Durant trade yet.
To me, it's New Orleans.

Both teams you could argue need to mix things up after disappointing playoff appearances. The Suns need to spread out some salaries, while the Pelicans could benefit from a consolidation trade.

Durant could fetch a player haul of CJ, Nance, Murphy, plus whatever picks. Or perhaps Ingram, Nance, Daniels, something like that.

I thought about this, but doesn't the new CBA prevent player aggregation over the 2nd apron? In other words, they have to trade KD for a 1:1 trade AND reduce or maintain payroll at the end of the trade? Or is it just that they have to reduce or maintain payroll?

I'll be honest, I don't have a full understanding of the new CBA like I did the other, but I believe they just have to reduce in any trade.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,388

Post#68 » by babyjax13 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:00 pm

1. New coach (Budenholzer)
2. Get a serviceable point guard (Nassir Little and David Roddy for Jevon Carter)
3. Sign a serviceable point guard (min. for Paul, Lowry, or Aaron Holiday)
4. Resign O'neale
5. backfill depth with minimum guys
6. pray

Nurkic 26/Eubanks 22/min.
Durant 20/O'neale 20/min. 8
Booker 22/Durant 10/Okogie 16
Beal 24/Allen 24/Gordon
Carter 24/Booker 10/Lowry 14

The Beal deal just looks so bad. If Phoenix trades for a point guard he really doesn't have a place on the team unless you play a bunch of guys out of position.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#69 » by hugepatsfan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:01 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:

Can they just send a minimum contract to cover? They aren't aggregating anyone's salary. Booker for Brown would be an even swap so can do that part separate if needed. But could Nurkic/minimum deal get White salary wise?
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#70 » by psman2 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:14 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Curious which team is giving up a starting forward for Nurkic for free? Also really don't think Boston should break what isn't broken.

I am struggling finding that trade. Likely only 3 playoff contender teams are in the market for a center and could in theory be interested in Nurk....NOP, OKC and Mem. For various reasons I don't think he is a good fit on any of those teams and they wouldn't offer anything better than just keeping Nurk.
psman2
General Manager

Post#71 » by psman2 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:16 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Can they just send a minimum contract to cover? They aren't aggregating anyone's salary. Booker for Brown would be an even swap so can do that part separate if needed. But could Nurkic/minimum deal get White salary wise?

Isn't Nurk + minimum guy still aggregating?
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,945

Post#72 » by JasonStern » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:18 pm

TGW wrote:Stay pat and try and fix the pieces around them. Minny looked bad the year before after the Gobert trade, and now they're the #1 seed. Give it another year then blow it up.

This is probably the answer. The tradeable pieces involved don't have the value that they had when they were acquired. Focus heavily on getting some cheap veteran depth, then hope for health and cohesion. If it doesn't work next year, then you know you should end the experiment.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#73 » by hugepatsfan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:31 pm

psman2 wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

I guess. This year 2nd apron teams were allowed to take back up to 110% of what they sent. So in this scenario, Nurkic is enough to match White on that. And then for the rule about not taking back more salary, they're sending the minimum out. But not sure the rules should be looked at separate.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#74 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:33 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
psman2 wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:

I guess. This year 2nd apron teams were allowed to take back up to 110% of what they sent. So in this scenario, Nurkic is enough to match White on that. And then for the rule about not taking back more salary, they're sending the minimum out. But not sure the rules should be looked at separate.

If you are using this year's salary then Boston cant match Brown for Booker since theres a greater than 110% difference between them..
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,843

Post#75 » by gswhoops » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:33 pm

psman2 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Curious which team is giving up a starting forward for Nurkic for free? Also really don't think Boston should break what isn't broken.

I am struggling finding that trade. Likely only 3 playoff contender teams are in the market for a center and could in theory be interested in Nurk....NOP, OKC and Mem. For various reasons I don't think he is a good fit on any of those teams and they wouldn't offer anything better than just keeping Nurk.

Brooklyn if Claxton signs elsewhere? But the only guy they have that makes sense is DFS and Phoenix would definitely have to add value there.
They_Them_Hatin
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#76 » by They_Them_Hatin » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:34 pm

pacers33granger wrote:They'll likely fire Vogel but it'd be shocking if ownership and can identify a diamond in the rough coach that can do something in year 1 with the roster. I'm not sure there's even a decent vet coach option out there. Maybe Dantoni? No clue if he's even looking for a head job given his age.

They really can only look at vet mins given their current roster problems. There are always minimum guys who over perform but can they identify any of them? And do any ring chasers go there as they'd have to believe there's a deep playoff run to be a part of.

Ultimately seems like they sign some washed up names and a few "youngish" mins and think they're set.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app

They need size & structure. Moving Booker back to his natural position and getting a vet point guard would solve a lot of problems. No one wants Beal, so cashing in on Allen for a starting small forward with an average height of a small forward(yes I know he can’t get traded until October) and moving Beal to the bench is a massive improvement. I would see what I could get for Nurkic +rights to the 1st. I would first see if the Jazz would want to do 22 for 29+32. Then resign Royce, Okagie,& Bol Bol.

Teams need to stop passing around the same 3 coaches every year. Most of the best coaches recently have been assistant coaches who finally got a shot.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#77 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:34 pm

gswhoops wrote:
psman2 wrote:

Brooklyn if Claxton signs elsewhere? But the only guy they have that makes sense is DFS and Phoenix would definitely have to add value there.

Doubt Brooklyn want nurkic's salary on the books in 25-26
They_Them_Hatin
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#78 » by They_Them_Hatin » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:39 pm

He only has two more years on his contract. If a team wants to rebuild and get a 1st then they take him. Looking at the new rules, it’s best if Phoenix just rides it out with him & draft a backup big.
psman2
General Manager

Post#79 » by psman2 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:45 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
gswhoops wrote:
psman2 wrote:

Doubt Brooklyn want nurkic's salary on the books in 25-26

Yep, cannot see Nurk worth blocking their FA 2025 plans.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,286

Post#80 » by Dan Z » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:49 pm

It doesn't make sense for Phoenix to get smaller. After that deal who plays center? Someone they draft at #22 this year? A minimum level signing?

From Bostons side I agree with posters who said: why change what's already working?

Return to Trades and Transactions