ORL - SAC

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

Who Wins the Trade?

ORL by a lot
No votes
ORL
No votes
ORL by a little
No votes
Both / Fair Trade
20%
SAC by a little
5%
SAC
35%
SAC by a lot
35%
Neither
5%

Total votes: 20

bpcox05
Veteran
And1: 488

ORL - SAC 

Post#1 » by bpcox05 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:09 pm

———————

ORL Gets: Kevin Huerter, #13, & 2025 POR 2nd
ORL Gives: Jonathan Isaac & #18
Why for ORL? Magic add much needed shooting to help space the floor more. Huerter’s age also allows him to grow with their young core. This also maintains their cap space for the 2024 offseason while at the same time moving up in the draft and adding a likely early 2nd round pick the following year.

PG - Suggs / Anthony
SG - Huerter / Black
SF - Wagner / Howard / Houston
PF - Banchero / Ingles / Okeke
C - Carter / Wagner
Picks - #13 / #47

———————

SAC Gets: Jonathan Isaac & #18
SAC Gives: Kevin Huerter, #13, & 2025 POR 2nd
Why for SAC? The Kings have a few different SGs who can replace Huerter’s production (Ellis & Monk). In exchange, they trade back 5 spots in the 1st round and give up a likely early 2nd in the 2025 draft while finding a theoretically excellent fit at PF next to Sabonis (if he can stay healthy and prove he can space the floor consistently).

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Ellis / Monk / Duarte / Jones
SF - Murray / Barnes
PF - Isaac / Lyles / Vezenkov
C - Sabonis

———————
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,857

Re: ORL - SAC 

Post#2 » by Knightro » Mon May 13, 2024 3:25 pm

It's a no from the Magic.

I don't dislike Huerter and actually think he's a good bounce back candidate, but the Magic want to maximize their wins next year and Isaac was remarkably impactful even in limited minutes last year - he was No. 1 among qualified players in individual DTRG with a +10.9 NET.

I would rather hold on to Isaac and have the Magic leverage their cap space to add more shooting/scoring.
Silver Man
Starter
And1: 528

Post#3 » by Silver Man » Mon May 13, 2024 3:31 pm

Yes for the Kings

At the point where I'm fine getting Huerter off the team and have always liked the idea of acquiring Isaac. Plus in this years draft dropping from 13 to 18 isn't massive with it being a poor draft on paper.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,138

Post#4 » by Residual-Heat » Mon May 13, 2024 3:33 pm

The Magic dont need to do this when they can sign a guard in FA who is at least as good or better than Huerter. They should be trying to sign Monk.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,150

Post#5 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Mon May 13, 2024 3:51 pm

Magic don't just lack shooting; they lack playmaking and a PG who can run an offense in the 1/ court. That needs to be priority #1 then look to move other pieces for shooters. Isaac is more valuable to us and we really don't need any more youth. I wouldn't be shocked if we moved 18 with a player to get a better fitting vet.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,831

Post#6 » by Skybox » Mon May 13, 2024 4:33 pm

I think Huerter for Cole Anthony is closer in value...Cole could replace Monk as an explosive scoring 3rd guard, on or off ball. Monk's better-over the last couple of years...but Cole's no slouch and he'll cost a lot less than Monk will end up getting paid (By ORL?)

Isaac is probably not on the table for anything less than (in a pkg) for a real star...Obviously, this could blow up on ORL if he goes down again, but he was arguably the most impactful player on ORL this year, even in limited minutes. His value to ORL, given their defensive mentality and progress, is probably a lot higher than his trade value.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,628

Post#7 » by LightTheBeam » Mon May 13, 2024 4:45 pm

Magic fans don't want to trade JI, and have the cap space to address guard.

I'll be interested to see what they do. Monk averaged 15-5 and ts of 56%, he was 35% from 3.

Last I saw sac can offer 4/78 to come back to a great situation where he's happy (according to his exit interview). Magic will have to come in strong to grab him, and if they do oh well. If it wasn't for us going over the cap I'm not sure Monk as much as I love him is a 20-25/year type player. All the similar guys who got that contract are now worth nothing herro, poole, simons, rozier, paying that much for a 1 way scoring guard meh...

Also the rumors from Orlando seem to be chasing after Klay/PG13 or even trading for someone like Dejounte. Their cap sheet is clean for awhile, maybe I'm biased but if I was a fan I'd prefer my team to remain patient and find a serious needle mover to add to my core.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,150

Post#8 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Mon May 13, 2024 4:58 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:Magic fans don't want to trade JI, and have the cap space to address guard.

I'll be interested to see what they do. Monk averaged 15-5 and ts of 56%, he was 35% from 3.

Last I saw sac can offer 4/78 to come back to a great situation where he's happy (according to his exit interview). Magic will have to come in strong to grab him, and if they do oh well. If it wasn't for us going over the cap I'm not sure Monk as much as I love him is a 20-25/year type player. All the similar guys who got that contract are now worth nothing herro, poole, simons, rozier, paying that much for a 1 way scoring guard meh...

Also the rumors from Orlando seem to be chasing after Klay/PG13 or even trading for someone like Dejounte. Their cap sheet is clean for awhile, maybe I'm biased but if I was a fan I'd prefer my team to remain patient and find a serious needle mover to add to my core.

Klay & PG agents are just using Orlando since they have a need and money. Our FO is the most risk-averse FO in the league and I don't see them skipping a step to possibly go all in for 2 years.

I see Orlando in the aisle for dudes like Murray ( not super likely) Monk, Tyus Jones, DLo and Melton
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,663

Post#9 » by Skin » Mon May 13, 2024 6:47 pm

No. Magic will look to Jett Howard's development before giving up Isaac.

Suggs as a PG is an idea that only non-Magic fans would try to imagine. Magic fans know that is a terrible idea.
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 634

Post#10 » by AaronB » Mon May 13, 2024 7:32 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:Magic fans don't want to trade JI, and have the cap space to address guard.

I believe that the Magic can offer Monk 4/74 and it is still better than the Kings due to the California upper tax rate of 13.3% (only half games are home games so that is cut in half).
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,611

Post#11 » by JRoy » Mon May 13, 2024 7:45 pm

No reason for ORL to consider this deal. There are better ways to upgrade guard without sending out JI.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#12 » by LightTheBeam » Mon May 13, 2024 7:46 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:

Klay & PG agents are just using Orlando since they have a need and money. Our FO is the most risk-averse FO in the league and I don't see them skipping a step to possibly go all in for 2 years.

I see Orlando in the aisle for dudes like Murray ( not super likely) Monk, Tyus Jones, DLo and Melton

I'm looking at the Indiana model for Orlando.

Clean cap sheet. Young emergent star, solid young role players, intriguing young talent, couple extra 1sts incoming, likely a need for a long term number 2. I like how Indiana gave Brown an inflated 1+1, which allowed him to be included as salary filler.

To me that's a better idea than overpaying long term for a Monk/Tyus type. Now giving Tyus a 1+1 overpaid salary looks appetizing while you wait for a Dejounte, Mitchell, Lamelo, Fox, DBook, to break free.

But I'm just speaking from what I saw my team do. They preached flexibility and then tied up tons in Barnes, Huerter, Sasha, Duarte, and Holmes before that. Wish they would have slow played and found a true long term fit with Sabonis, Fox, Murray.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#13 » by LightTheBeam » Mon May 13, 2024 7:48 pm

AaronB wrote:

I believe that the Magic can offer Monk 4/74 and it is still better than the Kings due to the California upper tax rate of 13.3% (only half games are home games so that is cut in half).

Maybe. I'd watch the exit interview. He seemed like he wanted to come back to Sac, and really enjoyed his time here. I don't see a team beating his salary by a million stealing him away. But I'm not him so just speculation
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,913

Post#14 » by giberish » Mon May 13, 2024 7:51 pm

Orlando could fill their backup wing shooter need by just signing Buddy Heild if they don't think Howard will be ready (in addition to adding a starting point/combo guard).
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,178

Post#15 » by tiderulz » Mon May 13, 2024 8:16 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:

Clean cap sheet. Young emergent star, solid young role players, intriguing young talent, couple extra 1sts incoming, likely a need for a long term number 2. I like how Indiana gave Brown an inflated 1+1, which allowed him to be included as salary filler.

To me that's a better idea than overpaying long term for a Monk/Tyus type. Now giving Tyus a 1+1 overpaid salary looks appetizing while you wait for a Dejounte, Mitchell, Lamelo, Fox, DBook, to break free.

But I'm just speaking from what I saw my team do. They preached flexibility and then tied up tons in Barnes, Huerter, Sasha, Duarte, and Holmes before that. Wish they would have slow played and found a true long term fit with Sabonis, Fox, Murray.

Indiana paying Haliburton around $40mil/yr for the next 4 years. you eventually have to pay that talent. and they will have to pay if they want to keep Turner.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#16 » by LightTheBeam » Mon May 13, 2024 8:53 pm

tiderulz wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:Klay & PG agents are just using Orlando since they have a need and money. Our FO is the most risk-averse FO in the league and I don't see them skipping a step to possibly go all in for 2 years.

Indiana paying Haliburton around $40mil/yr for the next 4 years. you eventually have to pay that talent. and they will have to pay if they want to keep Turner.

Of course. That's kinda the point, you guys like Indiana and OKC are way ahead of schedule. You can fill your cap space with overpaid long term role players like Sac did, or be patient and add a Siakam level player like Indiana did. You can't be flexible for long, but what you do with that flexibility will likely decide the long term outcome of the team.
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 634

Post#17 » by AaronB » Tue May 14, 2024 12:43 am

LightTheBeam wrote:
AaronB wrote:

Maybe. I'd watch the exit interview. He seemed like he wanted to come back to Sac, and really enjoyed his time here. I don't see a team beating his salary by a million stealing him away. But I'm not him so just speculation

However, you are only looking at the basketball part of the equation. If he is using his money to make money, then 100% of those proceeds are taxed at the 13.3% (unless tax-deferred) and now the delta gets even bigger.

If he makes 5% on his money and is saving $10M per year, by the end of the contract that is now an extra $2M per year. That is a lot of money.

It is not that fair for the NBA to have a uniform cap for every team based on state taxes alone, but it is the system current;y in place and teams like the Texas teams and the Florida teams should be able to take advantage of it.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,479

Post#18 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:43 pm

There is literally zero incentive for Orlando to do this.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
CraftylikeaFox
Sixth Man
And1: 2,274

Post#19 » by CraftylikeaFox » Tue May 14, 2024 5:33 pm

If I was a fan of another team I wouldn't want. Huerter on my team. If his 3 isn't falling, which it doesn't seem to ever be anymore, he's literally unplayable.
schaffy
Sixth Man
And1: 170

Post#20 » by schaffy » Tue May 14, 2024 7:16 pm

AaronB wrote:
It is not that fair for the NBA to have a uniform cap for every team based on state taxes alone, but it is the system current;y in place and teams like the Texas teams and the Florida teams should be able to take advantage of it.

I think its the most fair way to do it. Its set on the gross salaries to be paid by the organization.

How else would that even work? Trying to base it on the actual net, take-home pay? Having to try and calculate a cap based on the rates players are taxed at would be a nightmare because there are certainly some states (think NY) where players on the same team might not even be in the same tax bracket. Plus how would they account for any other income those players might make away from the court that could change their tax bracket for a given year?

Return to Trades and Transactions