CWhite to SA

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,409

CWhite to SA 

Post#1 » by pipfan » Mon May 13, 2024 5:08 pm

I really think this makes sense, as part of a 2 part Bulls blowup, and SA makes a leap.

Coby plus the Port pick for the #8 and the Bulls' 2025 pick back

SA gets an awesome fit for Wemby-provides spacing/scoring and is a great kid on an awesome contract. They also add the Port pick (while losing the Bulls' pick)

Bulls add a pick and save $. They roll into the year with
Ayo/Carter
Lavine/Caruso
DDR/Caruso/Terry
PWill/Phillips
Vuc/Drummond
Plus BPA at #8/11

once they've built back Lavine's value some, they trade him, Caruso and DDR in Jan, tanking the year once many fans have bought tickets for the season.
letsgobulls23
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Re: CWhite to SA 

Post#2 » by letsgobulls23 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:40 pm

So Bulls trade Coby (best asset in the deal, arguably their best player), and POR protected 1st for the 8th pick in a weak draft and their 2025 pick that's already top 10 protected?
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,368

Post#3 » by hugepatsfan » Mon May 13, 2024 6:53 pm

Like OP said, this makes more sense as a "part 2" for the Bulls if they blow it up. As they're built now, they're a push for the play in type of team and this wouldn't really make sense. If they blow things up and start trading everyone, moving White in a deal like this makes sense.

I get that this isn't the best draft, but Coby White doesn't exactly have a long track record for teams to feel secure with. And even in his "breakout" year, I still don't think anyone projects him to be a perennial all NBA guy or even locked in all star. And even if we assume he repeats this year, or even improves on it, to establish more of a track record towards those loftier levels, that means you're moving him next year as an expiring contract that's too low to realistically extend him like a team would want to at that point.

If they're blowing up the rest of the roster, it makes sense to move White now unless you really believe he's a "foundational building block" type of player, which I don't believe he is. More of a "nice to have" than true "core piece" IMO. And even if it is a weak draft, I'm not sure you're realistically ever going to get better than a mid lottery pick for White.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,622

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:03 pm

I like it for both teams. I like White, but I just don't see a quick fix for the Bulls here. Maybe they get off Vuc's money for free, but I don't see anyone taking LaVine or Ball. They should burn a couple years off of those deals, collect draft capital, and rebuild.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,941

Post#5 » by ChettheJet » Mon May 13, 2024 7:15 pm

Yeah if you saw Coby White holding the Bulls back last season this isa great deal. Because bringing back Lavine, DeRozen and Vucevic is an express ticket to the Finals baby.

Do you just not see the problem of bringing back the main reasons the team has been under .500 for the last 3 years and seen the playoffs once and gettig draft picks that aren't going to ge to contribute because you've got 3 more years with Lavine, 2 more with Vucevic, if you're resigning DeRozan that's at least 3 years that makes it more difficult to trade Demar. . You're keeping Dosunmu apparently, Caruso is expiring so he's worth less in a trade for 35 games than moving him in the off season for 82. You've still got Carter and Craig, Phillips and Bitim have a year of NBA exposure and some experience so they're ahead of any draft picks.

The idea is Wrongheaded at best
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:42 pm

ChettheJet wrote:Yeah if you saw Coby White holding the Bulls back last season this isa great deal. Because bringing back Lavine, DeRozen and Vucevic is an express ticket to the Finals baby.

Do you just not see the problem of bringing back the main reasons the team has been under .500 for the last 3 years and seen the playoffs once and gettig draft picks that aren't going to ge to contribute because you've got 3 more years with Lavine, 2 more with Vucevic, if you're resigning DeRozan that's at least 3 years that makes it more difficult to trade Demar. . You're keeping Dosunmu apparently, Caruso is expiring so he's worth less in a trade for 35 games than moving him in the off season for 82. You've still got Carter and Craig, Phillips and Bitim have a year of NBA exposure and some experience so they're ahead of any draft picks.

The idea is Wrongheaded at best

I get why this wouldn't necessarily be the preferred direction of Bulls fans, but I'm skeptical as far as the availability of alternatives. LaVine has got to take the floor and play himself up to nuetral value. Vuc is who he is. Maybe nuetral value?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,930

Post#7 » by TheSuzerain » Mon May 13, 2024 7:58 pm

I think you take the Port pick out of it.

But if the Bulls blow it up (they should but won't), this has some sense to it.
wemby
Senior
And1: 339

Post#8 » by wemby » Mon May 13, 2024 7:59 pm

I like Coby White, but his contract can't be extended because of how low it is, so I'd rather take 2 lottery picks and gamble on Topic, Dillingham or Sheppard, plus whatever is available next year, all tied for 4 years on a cheap salary. Chicago is going the way of Toronto, not accepting where they are and will end up losing their players to free agency (Caruso, Coby White, etc.).
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 13, 2024 8:13 pm

wemby wrote:I like Coby White, but his contract can't be extended because of how low it is, so I'd rather take 2 lottery picks and gamble on Topic, Dillingham or Sheppard, plus whatever is available next year, all tied for 4 years on a cheap salary. Chicago is going the way of Toronto, not accepting where they are and will end up losing their players to free agency (Caruso, Coby White, etc.).

I don't see moving a good, young player with two full years left on his contract as going the way of Raptors. As far as the Spurs, you don't want to burn through too many of Wemby's rookie contract years trying to put a decent team around him.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,409

Post#10 » by pipfan » Mon May 13, 2024 8:25 pm

That's what I figure-Coby helps them to the playoffs next year, and they still have the #4 pick, plus all the ATL picks to play with and some cap space.

Bulls are just stuck, and this helps us start over. Build up Lavine's value some and get a positive return in Jan. Then, they start the tank
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,499

Post#11 » by Chinook » Mon May 13, 2024 8:41 pm

I like White, but the Bulls pick as about as far as I'd go. It's fine if Chicago says no, but they certainly aren't getting a top-10 first as additional payment.
jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,807

Post#12 » by jredsaz » Tue May 14, 2024 5:00 am

pipfan wrote:I really think this makes sense, as part of a 2 part Bulls blowup, and SA makes a leap.

Coby plus the Port pick for the #8 and the Bulls' 2025 pick back

SA gets an awesome fit for Wemby-provides spacing/scoring and is a great kid on an awesome contract. They also add the Port pick (while losing the Bulls' pick)

Bulls add a pick and save $. They roll into the year with
Ayo/Carter
Lavine/Caruso
DDR/Caruso/Terry
PWill/Phillips
Vuc/Drummond
Plus BPA at #8/11

once they've built back Lavine's value some, they trade him, Caruso and DDR in Jan, tanking the year once many fans have bought tickets for the season.

Isn’t Coby worth that return alone? No need to include the Portland pick. Otherwise, no idea why the Bulls would be moving Coby at all.
jredsaz
General Manager

Post#13 » by jredsaz » Tue May 14, 2024 5:08 am

Chinook wrote:I like White, but the Bulls pick as about as far as I'd go. It's fine if Chicago says no, but they certainly aren't getting a top-10 first as additional payment.

That’s wild to me. Maybe the Bulls take back Graham if the Spurs want to operate under the cap, which I assume they do. Draft at 4 and use two picks that aren’t even yours to go get a really good, young point guard on a steal of a deal.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,873

Post#14 » by One_and_Done » Tue May 14, 2024 11:22 am

White isn't even worth the #8 in a bad draft
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Chinook » Tue May 14, 2024 12:09 pm

jredsaz wrote:
Chinook wrote:I like White, but the Bulls pick as about as far as I'd go. It's fine if Chicago says no, but they certainly aren't getting a top-10 first as additional payment.

That’s wild to me. Maybe the Bulls take back Graham if the Spurs want to operate under the cap, which I assume they do. Draft at 4 and use two picks that aren’t even yours to go get a really good, young point guard on a steal of a deal.

The Spurs don't need to be cheap. The fact that White is signed for two years at a good price couldn't matter less. Taking back Graham only saves $2.8 Million, and the Spurs shouldn't operate under the cap unless it's for a good reason.

I don't speak for the Spurs obviously, but I'd prefer they be able to make their picks in peace. They didn't go through all this trouble getting two top-10 picks just to throw them away.
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Chinook » Tue May 14, 2024 12:12 pm

One_and_Done wrote:White isn't even worth the #8 in a bad draft

Because players are not objects, and this is not monopoly. White's "worth" is completely independent of what makes sense for the Spurs. It can be a bad idea for them to make this deal while also being true that Chicago should value him highly.
jredsaz
General Manager

Post#17 » by jredsaz » Tue May 14, 2024 10:19 pm

Chinook wrote:
jredsaz wrote:

The Spurs don't need to be cheap. The fact that White is signed for two years at a good price couldn't matter less. Taking back Graham only saves $2.8 Million, and the Spurs shouldn't operate under the cap unless it's for a good reason.

I don't speak for the Spurs obviously, but I'd prefer they be able to make their picks in peace. They didn't go through all this trouble getting two top-10 picks just to throw them away.

I wouldn’t call that being cheap. I’d call it being smart. Rather have Coby at that cost (assets and salary) than what they are talking about with Trea. Add Coby, #4 and a quality FA at +/-$20M could put them in a great spot next season while maintaining flexibility.
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Chinook » Tue May 14, 2024 10:24 pm

jredsaz wrote:
Chinook wrote:
jredsaz wrote:

I wouldn’t call that being cheap. I’d call it being smart. Rather have Coby at that cost (assets and salary) than what they are talking about with Trea. Add Coby, #4 and a quality FA at +/-$20M could put them in a great spot next season while maintaining flexibility.

Or they could have 4, 8 and a better free agent, which is even better. You don't have to sell me on the Young trade being a bad idea -- it's a bad idea. But there are many superior ideas to that which are still not good deals for the Spurs. This is one of them.
jredsaz
General Manager

Post#19 » by jredsaz » Tue May 14, 2024 10:42 pm

Chinook wrote:
jredsaz wrote:
Chinook wrote:

Or they could have 4, 8 and a better free agent, which is even better. You don't have to sell me on the Young trade being a bad idea -- it's a bad idea. But there are many superior ideas to that which are still not good deals for the Spurs. This is one of them.

Which attainable free agent is better than Coby White? It also seems like you have a lot more confidence in this draft class than most. And again, if the Spurs send out Graham and #8 for Coby they are creating more room to go get that free agent. It’s not a bad idea. Might not end up being their best option but it’s FAR from a bad idea. Not every proposal on this board has to be perfect or terrible.
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Chinook » Tue May 14, 2024 11:43 pm

jredsaz wrote:
Chinook wrote:
jredsaz wrote:

Which attainable free agent is better than Coby White? It also seems like you have a lot more confidence in this draft class than most. And again, if the Spurs send out Graham and #8 for Coby they are creating more room to go get that free agent. It’s not a bad idea. Might not end up being their best option but it’s FAR from a bad idea. Not every proposal on this board has to be perfect or terrible.

So they aren't saving money by trading Graham and 8 for White, because Graham's deal is mostly non-guaranteed. They also don't need to get a better PG than White, because they are a rebuilding team. They just need to make their picks and let them grow.

Return to Trades and Transactions