Lakers - Portland - New Orleans

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,628

Lakers - Portland - New Orleans 

Post#1 » by LightTheBeam » Mon May 13, 2024 8:01 pm

Inspired by the get Ingram to LA thread. Might be a little too large, but I liked how all teams ended up. Can argue what the assets Lakers owe here are.

Portland out: Ayton, Brogdon
Portland in: McCollum, Vando, Vincent, Lakers Assets

Lakers out: Reaves, Vando, Vincent, Assets
Lakers in: Ingram

Pelicans out: CJ, Ingram
Pelicans in: Reaves, Brogdon, Ayton

Portland brings back a familiar face and gets assets. Vando can likely be flipped for additional compensation.

Lakers consolidate for Ingram, take some of the pressure off Lebron.

Pelicans re-tool.
Brogdon - Herb - Murphy - Zion - Ayton
Jose - Reaves - Dyson - Nance

NOTE: Vando/Vincent can be swapped for JHS/Rui. But I figured LA would prefer to keep Rui around, and Blazers may assign some value to Vando as a younger defensive forward.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,913

Re: Lakers - Portland - New Orleans 

Post#2 » by giberish » Mon May 13, 2024 8:14 pm

The fit for Porltand is poor, as they would still have Scoot/Simons/Sharpe as their guard rotation even if Brogdon is traded, so McCollum is just in the way. They also seem to like Ayton perhaps more than they should so the draft assets needed to move him and take back an expensive, unneeded guard are probably higher than the Lakers could/would be sending out.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,607

Post#3 » by mademan » Mon May 13, 2024 8:28 pm

I know Lebron and AD had healthy seasons, but it seems crazy to go into next season with a 3rd star with availability issues. Ingram also didnt seem comfortable beside Lebron the first go round
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,612

Post#4 » by JRoy » Mon May 13, 2024 8:34 pm

Hard pass for POR.

The last thing this team needs is an encore of the CJM experience.

This looks like POR donating talent to get LAL an all star.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
BuddyBuckets
Rookie
And1: 975

Post#5 » by BuddyBuckets » Mon May 13, 2024 10:13 pm

Don't feel like the return is enough for the Pels. Two borderline All Stars for 3 high end role players? I dunno man.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,989

Post#6 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon May 13, 2024 10:17 pm

Ayton is not what the Pelicans needs. Ingram is not what the Lakers need. McCollum is not what the Blazers need.

With the caveat that we don't know what "Lakers assets" are, I can't see any team accepting this.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,120

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 13, 2024 10:21 pm

JRoy wrote:Hard pass for POR.

I mean I don't think Ayton/Brogdon is much talent. So it just comes down to the assets which alas we don't know. But sure seems like selling off unwanted players for assets is exactly what Portland should want to do.

Just my opinion though. If anyone thinks Portland should rebuild around Ayton/Brogdon I am not telling them not to. I just have a different idea of what would be the right approach, not telling you what you should think.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,624

Post#8 » by Myth » Mon May 13, 2024 10:37 pm

Not in a hurry to get rid of Ayton as he was pretty productive in the 2nd have of the season unless we get something that makes sense. Bringing back CJ isn’t it and “Lakers assets” is way to vague to make this make sense.
JRoy
RealGM

Post#9 » by JRoy » Mon May 13, 2024 10:39 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

I mean I don't think Ayton/Brogdon is much talent. So it just comes down to the assets which alas we don't know. But sure seems like selling off unwanted players for assets is exactly what Portland should want to do.

Just my opinion though. If anyone thinks Portland should rebuild around Ayton/Brogdon I am not telling them not to. I just have a different idea of what would be the right approach, not telling you what you should think.

That must be those undefined sexy “LAL assets” because the guys inbound to POR are neutral value at best.
Edrees wrote:

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,120

Post#10 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 13, 2024 10:43 pm

JRoy wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

That must be those undefined sexy “LAL assets” because the guys inbound to POR are neutral value at best.

That feels like what I said no? We obviously know the players Portland gets which I said nothing about. I said it comes down to the incentive. For the right incentive I'd turn my players into those players. If the incentive isn't enough for what is seen as a downgrade in fit/talent, then I wouldn't.

My point was you said this felt like Portland donating talent which I disagree with. I don't have the players they move as even positive value combined or particularly talented. And I read the OP where Portland isn't donating but is getting paid something for doing so.

I just can't say if they should make this specific deal without knowing the specific assets. But I think a deal like this flipping unwanted players for other unwanted players plus getting assets makes a lot of sense where Portland is right now.

Just my opinion of course.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
JRoy
RealGM

Post#11 » by JRoy » Mon May 13, 2024 10:46 pm

I don’t see any assets at all beyond the “LAL assets”.

Pass.
Edrees wrote:

tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 858

Post#12 » by tester551 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:52 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
JRoy wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

That feels like what I said no? We obviously know the players Portland gets which I said nothing about. I said it comes down to the incentive. For the right incentive I'd turn my players into those players. If the incentive isn't enough for what is seen as a downgrade in fit/talent, then I wouldn't.

My point was you said this felt like Portland donating talent which I disagree with. I don't have the players they move as even positive value combined or particularly talented. And I read the OP where Portland isn't donating but is getting paid something for doing so.

I just can't say if they should make this specific deal without knowing the specific assets. But I think a deal like this flipping unwanted players for other unwanted players plus getting assets makes a lot of sense where Portland is right now.

Just my opinion of course.

For me, this is how I'd rank all the players in/out for Portland:

Ayton -> Young & talented. Overpaid & motor runs cold sometimes. Best to hang onto him

Brogdon -> Good player, but not needed on team. Definitely get-able.
Vando -> Good player, but weird fit on the Blazers. Would cause a lot of congestion around the rim.

McCollum -> Been there, done that. No reason to have him return. For Portland this is a negative contract. If another team would give up assets for him, then we can talk.
Vincent -> Negative contract.

So, unless the mystical 'assets' are plentiful - there's no reason for Portland to trade our 'crap' for theirs.

Return to Trades and Transactions