Jarrett Allen for Brandon Ingram

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,860

Jarrett Allen for Brandon Ingram 

Post#1 » by DowJones » Mon May 13, 2024 10:31 pm

I know New Orleans has liked Allen for a few years now. I know Cleveland desperately needs a SF. Would this kind of deal make sense for both sides? Cleveland would need to add Niang or LeVert for salary purposes. Would Ingram agree to an extension as part of the trade? I would assume Cleveland would have to give him whatever the maximum is they could give him in a scenario like this. The Cavs don't have much in the way of draft capital to trade, so Allen for Ingram would need to be the heart of this deal.
Malapropism
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Re: Jarrett Allen for Brandon Ingram 

Post#2 » by Malapropism » Mon May 13, 2024 10:36 pm

It'd be odd for NO to say they want to prioritize spacing around Zion, then put him next to Allen.
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 373

Post#3 » by Euphonetiks » Mon May 13, 2024 11:18 pm

In Will Guillory’s Athletic article with Mike Scotto, they specifically mentioned Allen as not being enough to get Ingram.

As a Pels fan, I don’t like the fit of Zion-Herb-Allen for spacing purposes and prefer not to trade Ingram for a Center, but Griff has poked around Allen before so who knows.
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,788

Post#4 » by MessiahUjiri » Tue May 14, 2024 2:07 am

To be honest, NOP are screwed. They need a defensive C, ur they will be scared about spacing issues since Zion and Herb aren’t great shooters.

Zion is not someone you should plan a franchise around. A smart contrarian GM would sell high on him.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,666

Post#5 » by NYG » Tue May 14, 2024 2:11 am

Euphonetiks wrote:In Will Guillory’s Athletic article with Mike Scotto, they specifically mentioned Allen as not being enough to get Ingram.

As a Pels fan, I don’t like the fit of Zion-Herb-Allen for spacing purposes and prefer not to trade Ingram for a Center, but Griff has poked around Allen before so who knows.

Ingram to Cavs
Murray to Pels
Allen to Hawks
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,943

Post#6 » by LarsV8 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:16 am

Houston would be interested in Allen.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,755

Post#7 » by toooskies » Tue May 14, 2024 2:23 am

Euphonetiks wrote:In Will Guillory’s Athletic article with Mike Scotto, they specifically mentioned Allen as not being enough to get Ingram.

Allen is a more recent all-star with a better postseason performance this year with a better contract and fits better for NOP. Allen not being enough is delusion.
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,478

Post#8 » by Jon1798 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:23 am

Herb shot 42% from three, what are yall talking about? And this would be replacing BI with Trey Murphy, a drastic change in both 3PT percentage and attempts. Along with CJ, that’s a ton of shooting. Allen still isn’t the perfect perfect fit, but he’s a good player that would provide everything else but shooting. I think creation is a much bigger issue.
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by Euphonetiks » Tue May 14, 2024 3:05 am

toooskies wrote:

Allen is a more recent all-star with a better postseason performance this year with a better contract and fits better for NOP. Allen not being enough is delusion.

Allen not being enough for Ingram is from Scotto and Guillory. It’s also not delusional considering Allen is a non-spacing big while Ingram is a wing that can score at 3 levels. Agree to disagree about Allen’s fit with Zion.
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect

Post#10 » by Euphonetiks » Tue May 14, 2024 3:10 am

Jon1798 wrote:Herb shot 42% from three, what are yall talking about? And this would be replacing BI with Trey Murphy, a drastic change in both 3PT percentage and attempts. Along with CJ, that’s a ton of shooting. Allen still isn’t the perfect perfect fit, but he’s a good player that would provide everything else but shooting. I think creation is a much bigger issue.

Herb shot 42%, but on only 3.6 attempts per game on mostly open shots from the corner. We had the 6th ranked defense with Jonas/Larry at C this year. I’d much rather pair Zion with a big who doesn’t live in the paint on offense.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,623

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:35 am

Euphonetiks wrote:
toooskies wrote:

Allen not being enough for Ingram is from Scotto and Guillory. It’s also not delusional considering Allen is a non-spacing big while Ingram is a wing that can score at 3 levels. Agree to disagree about Allen’s fit with Zion.

Saying you don't like the fit is understandable, but I seriously doubt either Scotto or Guillory have a good read on what Ingram's trade value is coming off the series he just had on an expiring contract with max type expectations.

I personally would be disappointed if we dealt Allen for Ingram. We don't win the first 2 games against Orlando without him, and it looks like we won't make it past Boston with him out of commission.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
YayBasketball
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#12 » by YayBasketball » Tue May 14, 2024 5:53 am

I wonder how trade possibilities could change if Pels made Herb available for upgrades and better fit. Sure, he's awesome in so many ways and great culture guy, but if Dyson can replace his role with more upside for creation, they could sell high on Herb.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,663

Post#13 » by Skin » Tue May 14, 2024 6:32 am

Ingram certainly more valuable than this. Even if he's expiring.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,874

Post#14 » by One_and_Done » Tue May 14, 2024 11:22 am

Malapropism wrote:It'd be odd for NO to say they want to prioritize spacing around Zion, then put him next to Allen.

This.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,888

Post#15 » by mcfly1204 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:28 am

Value looks about right, especially when you factor in contracts and health. Agree with the concerns around fit in NO however, they'd be better off with a couple of years of someone like Lopez.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,730

Post#16 » by BK_2020 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:49 am

Euphonetiks wrote:
Jon1798 wrote:Herb shot 42% from three, what are yall talking about? And this would be replacing BI with Trey Murphy, a drastic change in both 3PT percentage and attempts. Along with CJ, that’s a ton of shooting. Allen still isn’t the perfect perfect fit, but he’s a good player that would provide everything else but shooting. I think creation is a much bigger issue.

Herb shot 42%, but on only 3.6 attempts per game on mostly open shots from the corner. We had the 6th ranked defense with Jonas/Larry at C this year. I’d much rather pair Zion with a big who doesn’t live in the paint on offense.

There's just so few bigs who are realistically available who are capable, not even good, from the three and also aren't downright horrible. The market is WCJ and that's really it, and it's a stretch to say WCJ can shoot.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by toooskies » Tue May 14, 2024 12:16 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
Euphonetiks wrote:

There's just so few bigs who are realistically available who are capable, not even good, from the three and also aren't downright horrible. The market is WCJ and that's really it, and it's a stretch to say WCJ can shoot.

This, and you definitely can't count on it showing up in the playoffs.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,831

Post#18 » by Skybox » Tue May 14, 2024 12:23 pm

I like this and I think Jarrett Allen, for what he is, is actually a better player...then when you consider the cap situation when Ingram demands a max...on a team with Garland, Mobley and Mitchell...problem.

If Mitchell were to demand a move out...this makes a lot of sense, basketball-wise. Garland, Mobley, and Ingram is a well-matched core and, if CLE doesn't wait too long, they could bring back some serious assets for Mitchell.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 868

Post#19 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue May 14, 2024 1:19 pm

I think we're moving into an era where 32%ish three point spotup shooters just aren't guarded because half-court offense is too efficient to care about those shots. So there's only like 5 centers in the entire league that have the gravity you need on offense for Zion.

Jokic
Embiid
Wemby
Chet
Porzingis

And the Pels can get 0 of those guys.

So I'm not sure what the Pels do about their center situation.

Every center in the NBA other than those five guys is a bad fit with Zion, idk.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by toooskies » Tue May 14, 2024 1:30 pm

Skybox wrote:I like this and I think Jarrett Allen, for what he is, is actually a better player...then when you consider the cap situation when Ingram demands a max...on a team with Garland, Mobley and Mitchell...problem.

If Mitchell were to demand a move out...this makes a lot of sense, basketball-wise. Garland, Mobley, and Ingram is a well-matched core and, if CLE doesn't wait too long, they could bring back some serious assets for Mitchell.

I don't think any of Garland/Mobley/Ingram is going to be the best player on a contender.

Return to Trades and Transactions