Which Team Can Put Up The Best Package For Kidd?

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,392

Which Team Can Put Up The Best Package For Kidd? 

Post#1 » by Scalabrine » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:49 pm

According to the wiretap their are plenty of teams interested in Kidd (not a suprise and not wiretap worthy) but the wiretap says that the Nuggets, Mavs, Cavs, and Lakers are the teams that are expressing the most interest, so ive been playing around with the trade checker to see what each team could possibly give up that would be good value for a player of Kidds calibur (high value) that just requested a trade (low value).

This is what a came up with for those teams to make it work under the salary cap rules.

Cleveland Cavaliers
The Nets likely wont want contracts over two years (when Kidds contract expires) unless the player still has potential to get better, or is still on his rookie deal. Which probably makes the chances of the Nets touching Hughes or Ilgauskas very unlikely and obviously the Cavs will not trade LeBron. So heres what I got:
Cavs Trade/Nets Recieve:
Drew Gooden
Daniel Gibson
Eric Snow
Donyell Marshall
Second Round Pick 2009 and 2010
Nets Trade/Cavs Recieve:
Jason Kidd
Malik Allen

The Nets biggest value coming in would be the future picks (likely in the mid 20's of the second round) Gibson and Gooden, Snow and Marshall would also be two valuable veterans with short contracts. Maybe they would be able to coax Ferry into giving up a first with it but after demanding a trade Kidds value has dropped (not to mention hes only got a few years left). Gibson and Williams have the potential to be a good combonation because Gibson is a short two guard and Williams is a tall point guard.

Nets Depth Chart
Gooden/Collins/Magloire
Williams/Boone/Kristic/Marshal
Jefferson/Nachbar
Carter/Wright/Williams
Gibson/Williams/Snow/Armstrong

The Cavs motive to do it is to get Kidd while his value is low to help keep LeBron happy and possibly win a Title.

Cavs Depth Chart
Kidd/Jones/S.Brown
Hughes/Pavlovic/D.Brown
James/Pavlovic/Newble
Varajeo/Jones/Simmons
Ilgauskas/Allen

They are already extremely thin up front but LeBron has the strength to slide to PF for some time.

Dallas Mavericks

It would be nice to see Kidd back with the Mavericks but it doesnt seem like they have enough for the Nets to bite but heres what I have:

Stackhouse
Hassel
Harris
Diop
Barea
cash
-for-
Kidd

Nets would have to cut some players or maybe send Darell Armstrong with Kidd to the Mavs to be a thrid string point guard. I dont see the Nets wanting the contracts of Terry or Dampier so the chances of a deal with Mavs seems like it would only happen if no other team put out a serious offer and the Nets really needed to trade Kidd.

Denver Nuggets
Nuiggets are in a similar position than the Mavs are in that unless they want to give up on the Iverson Anthony experiment and the Nets want to gamble on Iverson, Carter, Jefferson trio working better than what Kidd bring than I doubt he will go anywhere, obviously the Nuggets arent going to trade Mello, and Karl is in love with Marcus and honestly I would rather have an all star SG,SF, and C over a PG,SG,SF. The only possible way a deal could go down with these teams involving Kidd would be if the Nets wanted to take back Martin and his crazy contract or roll the dice on Nene who it seems hasnt been healthy since his rookie season.

They have nice pieces with Kleiza, Najera (expiring) and Smith but Kidds salary is just to big for the Nuggets not to include one of their big 3 (unless like I said before the Nets wanted Nene or Martin :lol: ).

Here it goes anyway

Martin
Kleiza
Smith
Najera
-for-
Kidd

Again the Nets would have to waive a player (likely Armstrong or Kristic).

Los Angeles Lakers

The Lakers would look nice with Kobe and Kidd and soon Bynum and do have the accesseries necessary to pull off a deal to bring Kidd to LA but they would likely have to take an unwanted contract with it.

Lamar Odom
Kwame Brown
Sasha Vujacic (or Trevor Ariza)
Jordan Farmar
-for
Jason Kidd
Jason Collins

Collins is a good defensive player that is getting paid the MLE, he would be nice when they are going up against some of the bigger players in the West during the playoffs to keep Bynum out of foul traouble and let him help rather than stick with his man also they would be able to keep Kidds minutes down till playoff time with Fisher being his backup. The Nets would finally get a player who can score down low and he can also play on the perimiter.

Lakers Depth Chart
Kidd/Fisher/Crittenton
Kobe/Fisher/Carl
Walton/Ariza/Radmonovic
Turiaf/Collins/Radmonovic
Bynum/Collins/Mihm

Nets Depth Chart
Farmar/Williams/Armstrong
Carter/Wright/Vujacic
Jefferson/Nachbar
Odom/Boone/Allen
Williams/Magloire/Brown

this would make the Nets more well rounded.

What other possible destinations do you see Kidd landing? Right now, I would rule out Dallas and Denver making the best destination being the Lakers because of their ability to take on a contract that they dont want while still giving back talent and expirings and making it easy to have a completely new look team within two year (by the time they move to Brooklyn). The second choice would be the Cavs, they are able to give young talent back but they are not able to absorb a contract like Collins' and they are in the same conference.
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Post#2 » by Jack wore plaid » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:00 pm

Portland has the best young talent in the league, so they would be able to make the best package. I'm not sure they want Kidd though. Anyway how about Portland trades

LaFrentz
Jack
Frye
Green

for

Kidd
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/t ... &te=&cash=
Napoleon7
Senior
And1: 76

Post#3 » by Napoleon7 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:08 pm

Agreed Portland could be the / a darkhorse player in a trade for Kidd.
I like your proposal above, but I think NJ might benefit more by getting Webster instead of Frye (opens up opportunities to trade Vince lets say to Indiana for O'Neal for example).
Also Green works, but I would entertain, if needed, replacing Green with this year #1 pick.

LaFrentz
Webster
Jack
2008 #1 (Top 3 portected)

for

Kidd
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,407

Post#4 » by theman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:40 pm

NJ sends
J Kidd

Minn sends
Theo Ratliff
Mike Doliac
Corey Brewer

Note: Minn. would never do this but the question is which team COULD put together the best package.

Note2: I was going to add Jefferson to the mix but I think he signed an extension that the trade checker uses in calulations but does not appear on the form.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,903

Post#5 » by gswhoops » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:44 pm

Portland IMO...a package based on Raef + Jack + Webster + future pick would be good for both teams.
SLIMM07
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#6 » by SLIMM07 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:09 pm

I like the Laker and the Trailbalzer offers, I think Thorn wants to keep the Nets competive if and when he gets rid of Kidd
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Post#7 » by knicks742 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:13 pm

Knicks send Marbury (to be bought out), unprotected first rounder, and wilson chandler to the Nets for J. Kidd.

Flame away
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#8 » by Spykes » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:27 pm

I agree that the Blazers can put together one of the more competitive offers... if they want him.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,392

Post#9 » by Scalabrine » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:55 pm

its interesting I actually didnt think of Portland as a suitor but I was watching ESPN the other day and Bucher said a deal was talked about between the Blazers and the Clippers involving Pryzbilla and Cassel as the major pieces that was being talked about by both teams. If that is true then its feasible to assume the Blazers think that a veteran point guard would help this team and sort of consolidate your young talent (unlikely that you resign all of them anyway) and make it a player that will really help you win now and if it doesnt pan out its just a two year deal and then the Blazers are back to having a ton of cap space and Roy and Oden to build around.

Thats very interesting....
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by Jack wore plaid » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:58 pm

I'm not sure Portland would give up both Jack and Webster plus a pick. Kidd is a great player, but that is a big chunk of goodness going away from Portland. Maybe our two second round picks from the Knicks and the Griz. Those are basically late firsts anyway.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#11 » by Spykes » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:00 pm

Scalabrine wrote:its interesting I actually didnt think of Portland as a suitor but I was watching ESPN the other day and Bucher said a deal was talked about between the Blazers and the Clippers involving Pryzbilla and Cassel as the major pieces that was being talked about by both teams. If that is true then its feasible to assume the Blazers think that a veteran point guard would help this team and sort of consolidate your young talent (unlikely that you resign all of them anyway) and make it a player that will really help you win now and if it doesnt pan out its just a two year deal and then the Blazers are back to having a ton of cap space and Roy and Oden to build around.

Thats very interesting....

That deal has been flat out denied and laughed at by the Blazers GM. That's not to say that Portland isn't in the market for a veteran PG, but moving the teams only Center for Cassell is a really stupid idea. So don't put a whole lot into that rumor.

However, like you mentioned, there are some really compelling reasons to bring Kidd to Portland. Portland is also one of the few teams who doesn't have to throw in a billion players to make the deal work salary wise.
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by Jack wore plaid » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:04 pm

unlikely that you resign all of them anyway

Ugh this comment really needs to banned from these boards. There is literally no reason whatsoever that Portland can't resign every single young player on their roster if they wanted to.

They have one of the richest owners in all of sports, and one who has already come out and said that he would go into the luxury tax if it meant competing for a title.

By the way, Portland GM has gone on record saying that he will not mortgage the future for a quick fix. Maybe one of the youngsters, and some filler, but I can't see multiple pieces going for a player who might disrupt team chemistry more than he helps them on the floor.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,998

Post#13 » by tsherkin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:33 pm

That Cleveland deal is terrible because it robs them of their best spot-up 3pt shooting threats in Gibson and Marshall. Why bother guarding the perimeter except on Lebron?
ptsuperfly
Senior
And1: 87

Post#14 » by ptsuperfly » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:45 pm

Camby
Najera
Kleiza

for

Kidd
Boone
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#15 » by moocow007 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:55 pm

Jack wore plaid wrote:Portland has the best young talent in the league, so they would be able to make the best package. I'm not sure they want Kidd though. Anyway how about Portland trades

LaFrentz
Jack
Frye
Green

for

Kidd

You've got to be kidding. Where are the young talents? Honestly, Lafrentz is just a stiff with a contract that lasts another year. Jarrett Jack is a backup PG (well he's really not a PG is he). Channing Frye is a softish backup PF/C. And Taurean Green is a borderline NBA player. You're offering nothing for Kidd here.
WizardsWorld
Lead Assistant
And1: 236

Post#16 » by WizardsWorld » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:59 pm

Lakers and Mavs are the best options... He will most likely get traded to one of those two teams. If the Mavs are willing to put Harris in the deal then I think he goes to Dallas... if they wont include Harris , then he'll probably go to the Lakers.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#17 » by moocow007 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:00 am

WizardsWorld wrote:Lakers and Mavs are the best options... He will most likely get traded to one of those two teams. If the Mavs are willing to put Harris in the deal then I think he goes to Dallas... if they wont include Harris , then he'll probably go to the Lakers.

Yeah I agree.
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by Jack wore plaid » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:33 am

moocow007 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You've got to be kidding. Where are the young talents? Honestly, Lafrentz is just a stiff with a contract that lasts another year. Jarrett Jack is a backup PG (well he's really not a PG is he). Channing Frye is a softish backup PF/C. And Taurean Green is a borderline NBA player. You're offering nothing for Kidd here.

The young talents are staying Portland. Like I said, I don't think Portland want Kidd, so why give a lot up for him? I simply said they could more so than any other team.

Oden
Roy
Aldridge
Outlaw
Sergio
Fernandez
Webster
Jack
Frye

All under 24
shortodom
Veteran
And1: 57

Post#19 » by shortodom » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:39 am

Yeah I agree.

i wish but it seems like we never get the big name players asking to be traded, even though it seems like we have the perfect pieces to get them all the time :nonono:
GMF
Senior
And1: 9

Post#20 » by GMF » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:53 am

Yeah I agree.

Add me into the camp that the Laker's can offer the best package. I'd think something like this would be a decent offer:

Return to Trades and Transactions