Clippers/Wolves

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Clippers/Wolves 

Post#1 » by loflin3hree5ive » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:47 pm

Clippers Get:
Mike Miller
Future 2nd Round Pick

Wolves Get:
Cuttino Mobley
Rights to DeAndre Jordan
Pick Return

Wolves save $2 million next year, Thomas and Miller both expire in 2010. Wolves get Jordan to use as a project and get their pick back. Clippers upgrade from Mobley to Miller.
Winter Wonder
Rookie
And1: 0

Re: Clippers/Wolves 

Post#2 » by Winter Wonder » Wed Jul 2, 2008 8:28 pm

I am pretty sure most in MN will say the offer is a bit light. Miller and his 3 point shooting is looked upon as key in the whole Mayo / Love trade and will be big in the offense next year being used to free up some space for Jefferson in the post.

If MN were to bail on the expirement before it started, I am guessing it would have to include a solid center, though with Love expected to play some 5 with Jefferson, that may not even be what they are looking for....

I think MN is in a wait and see mode and the main piece they may want to trade is McCants, though I am not sure on that. Miller might be obtainable, but am thinking it would require more. I actually think he wants to play in MN and that the front office really likes him.
kandiking
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#3 » by kandiking » Wed Jul 2, 2008 8:40 pm

as a wolves fan i love it.
ClipperDomination
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#4 » by ClipperDomination » Wed Jul 2, 2008 8:44 pm

^ As a Clipps fan I love it too.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#5 » by deeney0 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 9:15 pm

I think it'd take more (eg Eric Gordon) to pry Mike Miller away from the Wolves.

Remember, Wolves passed on DeAndre at #31 AND at #34. If he held any value to them at all, they would've taken him. If the Wolves were going to deal Miller (and they're not), they could get quite a bit more than this.
Ricepilar
Head Coach
And1: 73

Post#6 » by Ricepilar » Wed Jul 2, 2008 9:26 pm

I wouldnt underestimate how badly McHale wants that pick back.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#7 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Jul 2, 2008 9:48 pm

that pick is top 10 protected for the next 3 years, plus MN has Boston and Miami's picks in the pipe still.

I doubt McHale cares about that LAC pick right now. Especially not for Mike Miller who he seems to be obsessive over, and especially not to get DeAndre Jordan who apparently is meaningless to him since he had 2 opportunities to get him, but instead drafted a Euro center who we may never see and sold the other one for money
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#8 » by shrink » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:14 pm

One thing that I didn't realize until after the Mike Miller trade was that he was from South Dakota, and grew up as a fan of the Twins, Vikings, and, yes, the Timberwolves. In the Midwest, the Twin Cities is actually kind of a cultural mecca, believe it or not, and many young people from the surrounding Midwestern states flock to the Twin Cities. McHale said last year that he thought the team was too young, and I think filling that hole with a young (28) vet guy that actually wants to be in Minnesota is a valuable thing.
loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Post#9 » by loflin3hree5ive » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:30 pm

^ I'd agree with you, but Miller did bolt to Florida U when he got the chance to get the hell out of the cold! But no, seriously, MIller's only got two seasons left on his contract. By the time the Wolves start to improve as Jefferson and Love grow up a little, Miller will be a free agent. If Miller had, say, four years left on his current deal, then he makes a little more sense for the young Wolves IMO. He's a great player, I understand why Wolves fans like him.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#10 » by shrink » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:48 pm

I agree. In my view, a developed, 28-year old SG/SF is not a great fit for a developing young team. Before the draft, I'd probably have done your deal as well.

I'm just saying that I don't think McHale will do it, at least not at that price. I was surprised that McHale passed on Jordan at #34, but as deeney0 mentioned, he's probably not of great interest to him.

Good idea though -- maybe I should look more suspiciously at Miller's press conference?
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#11 » by deeney0 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:52 pm

loflin3hree5ive wrote:^ I'd agree with you, but Miller did bolt to Florida U when he got the chance to get the hell out of the cold! But no, seriously, MIller's only got two seasons left on his contract. By the time the Wolves start to improve as Jefferson and Love grow up a little, Miller will be a free agent. If Miller had, say, four years left on his current deal, then he makes a little more sense for the young Wolves IMO. He's a great player, I understand why Wolves fans like him.

I don't think Wolves fans are attached to him at all really, yet. This just isn't a competitive offer.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#12 » by the_bruce » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:14 am

I've always <3'd miller
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#13 » by dunkonu21 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:41 am

Miller said he hopes to retire a wolf in the press conference. So he must really be excited to be here, I mean I know you say stuff to make yourself look good, but he didn't have to go that far so I assume he meant it.

Return to Trades and Transactions