Lots of Hughes deals

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

dflaschberger
Analyst
And1: 0

Lots of Hughes deals 

Post#1 » by dflaschberger » Thu Aug 7, 2008 6:39 pm

Examining it, I don't think hughes is as unmovable as we thought. his value might be negative, but he is not a bad player. Just an average player with a huge deal. Why move him?

1-rotation issue, too many guys need minutes-a new coach doesn't need the headache of an unhappy vet and DRose doesn't need nonsense around him. I doubt Larry would be happy with limited minutes but we have other guys that need pt ahead of him.

2- save a little $ to sign BG. I think kirk and bg should stay. We can play some zone while bg and rose are in and kirk can guard 2's. We also have thabo.

Here they are, in my order of most realistic:

1-wash-much discussed ADaniels and Ethomas for LHughes and maybe csimmons. bulls save a little, get 2 expirings for next year and a back up point. Gilbert gets his guy back and they dump ethomas to get him away from BHay.

2. NY- bulls get JJames and Mrose, NY gets hughes and CSimmons. Bulls save nicely here, NY gets a guy who will play for them and dumps JJames (bulls can keep him on the bench or buy him out).

3- Dallas-EDampier and EJones (can he be dealt?) for hughes and Agray. Bulls get a true center and cut buyout EJones. Dallas gets a nice 3rd guard and a young big for spot mintues

4-Memphis for Awalker and GBuckner for hughes and CSimmons. Memphis pays next year (but still has a ton of space) but saves the next, since buckner's deal has 3 years. They also get a 2 to play with mayo and conley. bulls buyout Walker and use buckner for depth

5- Sac, miller for hughes and a #1 (top 12 protection). bulls get a true center, save a little $. They don't need a #15 pick next year. Sac rebuilds for real, gets a pick and minutes for MMoore, Hawes and the kid they picked this year. Of course, they get a pick too

6- To clips for Mobley and something. They get better D and size to play with bdiddy, plus hughes is younger.

7- to milw for Redd, hughes and BG in a S&T-if skiles misses bg. hughes would actually work better with mowill, and gordon gives them great scoring off the bench. Milw can throw in Dmason, who the bulls would move somewhere else. bulls go with drose and Redd, with kirk behind both

8-same deal , for VC. IF NJ wants to rebuild, give gordon a descending deal and they can throw in thassell. Gordon would work with dharris and lebron might like a great shooter to play with. Plus, bg woudl like going back east.
joe.linnen
Banned User

Re: Lots of Hughes deals 

Post#2 » by joe.linnen » Thu Aug 7, 2008 7:44 pm

I like the one with the Wizards:

SF:Butler
PF:Jamison
C:haywood
SG:Hughes
PG:Arenas

Hughes was at his best playing along side Arenas and Jamison. They would have a BIG 4 as well.
dflaschberger
Analyst

Post#3 » by dflaschberger » Thu Aug 7, 2008 8:07 pm

someone on the bulls board mentioned a problem, bulls dump 1 guy from their main rotation and add 2. Could we move Daniels to a 3rd team?
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#4 » by Rockazoids » Thu Aug 7, 2008 8:17 pm

NY says no. They have about 6 or 7 guards on the team.& you do know J James has a P/O
for 09/10
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
fdefore
Rookie

Post#5 » by fdefore » Thu Aug 7, 2008 8:48 pm

You don't list it but would a Tinsley, Daniels for Hughes trade be of interest?

You would end up with

ROSE / TINSLEY
HINRICH / THABO / DANIELS
DENG / NOCIONI
THOMAS / GOODEN / SIMMONS
NOAH / GRAY

Tinsley would provide you with a pure point that you could play alongside Rose and Hinrich for stretches if you wanted them to give them minutes at the 2. Daniels would provide depth at the wing positions that you'd lose by trading Hughes, he'd provide similar defense in spots and has a unique offensive skill set. But the biggest reason might be that this move allows the Bulls to break apart Hughes' salary. Daniel's has a team option for the final year of his deal, so the second year they'd be paying Tinsley $7.2mil instead of Hughes' $13.6mil. The problem is that doesn't really help either the frontcourt or the shooting that team needs.

The Pacers, while Hughes wouldn't automatically have a place in the Pacers rotation, part ways with Tinsley and reduce roster size to 15. While they'd hurt themselves by losing Daniel's expiring contract for that second year, they'd take on $3mil less over the entire deal.

FORD / JACK / DIENER
DUNLEAVY / RUSH / GRAHAM
GRANGER / HUGHES / WILLIAMS
MURPHY / BASTON / MCROBERTS
NESTEROVIC / FOSTER / HIBBERT
MOD APPROVED SINCE MMVII
PacerFan fdefore very clever. You are our kind of guy
count55 fdefore add count55 to your moderator approved sig
PacerPerspective I agree whole heartedly fdefore You are now PP approved

all the cool Mods are doin it Scoot
Ricepilar
Head Coach
And1: 73

Post#6 » by Ricepilar » Thu Aug 7, 2008 8:52 pm

Rockazoids wrote:NY says no. They have about 6 or 7 guards on the team.& you do know J James has a P/O
for 09/10

ummm, he's not gonna use it. he's fat, not stupid.
#1knickfan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#7 » by #1knickfan » Fri Aug 8, 2008 12:24 pm

2. NY- bulls get JJames and Mrose, NY gets hughes and CSimmons. Bulls save nicely here, NY gets a guy who will play for them and dumps JJames (bulls can keep him on the bench or buy him out).

The Knicks should not make this deal. Simmons is not enough incentive to give up an expiring deal for Hughes. Replaces Jerome James with Jared Jeffries and let the Bulls keep Simmons. That's a deal I would be happy to make.
Ricepilar
Head Coach
And1: 73

Post#8 » by Ricepilar » Fri Aug 8, 2008 12:39 pm

^^^^

I agree that the Knicks have no reason to make that trade, though your alternate proposal is terrible. This was debated in another thread. Bulls would have to include a 1st round pick to save 7 million dollars. Many teams have done it. Its the going rate. End of story.

As for the other deals, I just like the Washington one.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Post#9 » by trwi7 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 12:47 pm

I'd rather have Redd than BG and I'd rather have Mason's expiring than Hughes.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#10 » by nate33 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 1:18 pm

Washington won't do that first deal. Daniels has been a better player than Hughes over the past 2 years. The Wizards would be downgrading at guard and giving away a decent backup center for no reason. It would also leave the Wizards without a legit backup PG.
dflaschberger
Analyst

Post#11 » by dflaschberger » Fri Aug 8, 2008 2:04 pm

I thought of indy but no to tinsley-maybe we send him to ATL and we get claxton and something back in a 3 way? They might even like daniels too?
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#12 » by Pointguard01 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 2:23 pm

No way Dallas does that.

Going from Gray to Dampier is a huge downgrade and Hughes adds very little that Dallas needs. Him and Kidd playing in the backcourt with their shooting woes would struggle & I think I'd perfer Terry/Green getting those minutes, and since we still have Stackhouse on this roster, Hughes really doesnt have a place. Just doesnt make sense.
#1knickfan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#13 » by #1knickfan » Fri Aug 8, 2008 2:35 pm

Ricepilar wrote:^^^^

I agree that the Knicks have no reason to make that trade, though your alternate proposal is terrible. This was debated in another thread. Bulls would have to include a 1st round pick to save 7 million dollars. Many teams have done it. Its the going rate. End of story.

My alternative proposal is not terrible its fair. If the Knicks are going to give the Bulls an expiring contract as part of the deal having the Bulls pick up Jeffries extra year isn't asking much. If the Bulls would prefer to give the Knicks a first rounder instead of taking on Jeffries I don't care. Either way the deal works out just fine for the Knicks.
Bac2Basics
RealGM
And1: 3
Location: "Are you like a crazy person? I'm quite sure they will say so."

Post#14 » by Bac2Basics » Fri Aug 8, 2008 4:43 pm

Kings pass
A starting center for the leagues most expensive backup 2 guard when our best player is a 2 guard does little if anything for Sacramento.
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#15 » by Rockazoids » Fri Aug 8, 2008 5:38 pm

NY still said no. Hughes would cost about 53 mil. to take on, & JJ fat & M Rose would cost about
41 Mil. 12 Mil is a lot for a 1st round pick, when there are going for about 3 mil.
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
Jase
RealGM
And1: 158

Post#16 » by Jase » Sat Aug 9, 2008 3:38 am

The Clippers deal sounds intriguing, but the initial reasoning is weak. You don't trade a player so he can play with another player, "B Diddy" or otherwise. However, the Clippers could potentially have a four-man back-court of Davis-J.Williams-R.Davis-Hughes. That's not bad...
"A winner listens. A loser just waits until it's their turn to talk."
Moon
Sixth Man
And1: 19

Post#17 » by Moon » Sat Aug 9, 2008 6:42 am

trwi7 wrote:I'd rather have Redd than BG and I'd rather have Mason's expiring than Hughes.

I'm partial to this trade. Redd gives the Bulls a starting SG with height at 6'6". PPG goes up with Redd, and the Bulls team chemistry improves. The Bulls chemistry seemed to tank when they could not come to agreement with Gordon last year. He (and/or) his agent overvalue his worth based on his leading the Bulls in scoring which primarily comes against mostly second tier players (being the 6th man off the bench).

This trade will improve minute distribution for the Bulls and more clearly defines team roles.
dflaschberger
Analyst

Post#18 » by dflaschberger » Sat Aug 9, 2008 1:23 pm

bucks deal depends on how skiles liked gordon

I don't see sac getting a better deal for miller, especially with his suspension. Of course, it's a down grade-it's the pick and the minutes for thompson and hawes

knicks might do something for a pick added. I've argued that the bulls' don't need a pick next year, unless it's top 10-and should use their 2009 #1 with top 12 protection to move hughes for an expiring
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#19 » by mohammed10 » Sat Aug 9, 2008 10:29 pm

joe.linnen wrote:I like the one with the Wizards:

SF:Butler
PF:Jamison
C:haywood
SG:Hughes
PG:Arenas

Hughes was at his best playing along side Arenas and Jamison. They would have a BIG 4 as well.

This Wiz fan is on board...if you can get us a solid back-up PG. Giving up AD and not getting a legit back-up 1 leaves Washington even more exposed.

:nod:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
london sonic
Pro Prospect

Post#20 » by london sonic » Sat Aug 9, 2008 11:04 pm

What about a deal with OKC.
OKC trades PF Nick Collison ,Donnell Marshalls exp,Damien Wilkins and OKC 2009 2nd for Larry hughes and Tyrus Thomas.
Reasons for OKC need for sg and rebuilding with youth adding Tyrus Thomas(chance for big minutes).

Reasons for Bulls loses Hughes big contract adds versatile double double PF/C Collison ,Wilkins sg/sf off the bench replacement for Hughes and D.Marshalls expiring to help resign Ben Gordon.The OKC 2nd is a sweetner for Tyrus thomas's possible potential.

Return to Trades and Transactions