Grizzlies and Wolves and... Nets? Oh My...

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Grizzlies and Wolves and... Nets? Oh My... 

Post#1 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Dec 4, 2008 8:53 pm

Trade ID# 4852227

Memphis Trade Breakdown
Incoming Players: Josh Boone, Maurice Ager, Jason Collins, '09 MIA 2nd (via MIN)
Outgoing Players: Javaris Crittenton, Hakim Warrick, Darko Milicic
MEM adds '09 capspace, and reels in a rugged rebounder. Pair with this MEM-PHX-POR deal, and you have a great young lineup.
Mayo, Webster, Gay, Diaw, Gasol
Lowry, Barbosa, Ross, Arthur, Boone

Minnesota Trade Breakdown
Incoming Players: Stromile Swift, Darko Milicic
Outgoing Players: Jason Collins, Brian Cardinal, '09 MIA 2nd
MIN adds a young true C.
Foye, Miller, Gomes, Jefferson, Milicic
Telfair, McCants, Carney, Smith, Love

New Jersey Trade Breakdown
Incoming Players: Javaris Crittenton, Hakim Warrick, Brian Cardinal
Outgoing Players: Maurice Ager, Josh Boone, Stromile Swift
NJN adds pieces that fit around their bench.
Harris, Carter, Simmons, Jianlian, Lopez
Crittenton, Roberts, Brewer, Anderson, Williams
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,798

Re: Grizzlies and Wolves and... Nets? Oh My... 

Post#2 » by gswhoops » Thu Dec 4, 2008 9:01 pm

New Jersey gets a sweatheart deal here. Ager is worthless, so the Nets essentially get Critt and Brewer for Boone and one extra year of non-2010 salary. I can't see either Memphis or (especially) Minnesota being OK with this.
Woo311
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Woo311 » Thu Dec 4, 2008 9:04 pm

I vomited a little when I read this...from a Wolves fan perspective.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,964

Post#4 » by shrink » Thu Dec 4, 2008 9:08 pm

For MIN, its an improvement in fit, but I wouldn't give up Corey Brewer for it, even though he's out for the season.

Going from Collins to Swift is an improvement, but the Wolves aren't going anywhere this year, so its hard to justify spending any future potential for this.

Darko is nuts, but the Wolves might have interest in exchanging Cardinal's 2-year deal for his 2-year deal. Darko is inconsistent though -- something the Wolves have far too much of already. However, he could help in Year 2, and I like how he comes off the books when Pekovic hopefully joins the team. Draft analysts said the center would have been a late lotto pick if he was American and destined to stick around, so Wolves fans are getting hopeful.

I'd probably do the deal with Carney, or maybe McCants or Craig Smith if a little more was going to MIN.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#5 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Dec 4, 2008 9:44 pm

NJN could add a 2nd for Brewer, but we don't want McCants or Carney.
-- Steve Martin
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#6 » by 4ho5ive » Thu Dec 4, 2008 10:45 pm

No thanks from Minny. Darko is not gonna do much to help this team improve and he def isnt our longterm answer at center. Ager incoming when we already have McCants, Miller, Foye, Telfair and Ollie and the guard spots makes no sense either.

Im good.
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#7 » by VintaGe36 » Fri Dec 5, 2008 3:11 am

You underrate the value of Brewer IMO Ecuhus
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#8 » by the_bruce » Fri Dec 5, 2008 4:34 am

Why did you pee in my mouth?

I'm certain it wouldn't take much to pry away Darko from MEM. Any expiring + late 1st would probably do it. No way any team would trade a recent lotto pick to add that nut job.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#9 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Dec 5, 2008 9:14 pm

It's clear that MIN fans are still clinging to the hope that they won't rue the day they chose Corey over Young (both of them), Thornton, Hawes, Brandan, Stuckey and others. I do think he could be a nice role-player between scorers, Chris Douglas-Roberts and Yi Jianlian, but no one is going to give them 7th pick value for them, and it seems the Wolves wouldn't move him unless someone does.

So, how about we remove Brewer, send Ager/MIA (via MIN) 2nd to MEM, and have MEM send Warrick? Would that be more reasonable for Wolves fans? You can't tell me Minnesota couldn't use a guy like Darko, and for a mid-2nd I think it's a worthwhile deal.
-- Steve Martin
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,964

Post#10 » by shrink » Sat Dec 6, 2008 1:48 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:It's clear that MIN fans are still clinging to the hope that they won't rue the day they chose Corey over Young (both of them), Thornton, Hawes, Brandan, Stuckey and others. I do think he could be a nice role-player between scorers, Chris Douglas-Roberts and Yi Jianlian, but no one is going to give them 7th pick value for them, and it seems the Wolves wouldn't move him unless someone does.

So, how about we remove Brewer, send Ager/MIA (via MIN) 2nd to MEM, and have MEM send Warrick? Would that be more reasonable for Wolves fans? You can't tell me Minnesota couldn't use a guy like Darko, and for a mid-2nd I think it's a worthwhile deal.

I don't think this is accurate. Saying "no" to the small improvement of the other players doesn't imply MIN is valueing Brewer as #7 in the lottery, because it shouldn't take a mid-lottery pick to make that minor of an upgrade. What's the best the deal's going to do .. give them 5 more wins?

I'd have no trouble doing your second deal, if I'm visualizing it correctly.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#11 » by Vindicater » Sat Dec 6, 2008 2:44 am

I would do the first trade as a Minnesota fan if you take mcCants instead of Brewer
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#12 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Dec 6, 2008 5:44 am

^

Eh, I'm not a fan of McCants, for our team. Plus, he'll need an extension next summer, which works against our 2010 plan. Warric kat least works for our personnel needs.

OK, it seems as though the alteration I made was decently well received. I will change the OP.
-- Steve Martin
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#13 » by 4ho5ive » Sat Dec 6, 2008 7:05 am

I like the alteration. Cards and a 2nd for a chance to have Jefferson playing at his better suited position, sign me up.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#14 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Dec 6, 2008 5:25 pm

^

Cool, thanks.
-- Steve Martin
jefe
General Manager
And1: 646

Post#15 » by jefe » Sat Dec 6, 2008 9:49 pm

Boone is a fine player, but he's not worth Critt, Hak and Darko (who has *some* value to MEM as our only true big off the bench) - because the other pieces coming MEM's way are negligible IMO. As for capspace, that's not enough incentive for the Grizz to pull the trigger - as it stands the Grizz only have about 37.5 mill on the books for next year (assuming Walker's two years on picked up, the QO is extended to Hak, and not including draft pick salaries).

Return to Trades and Transactions