POR/OKC Simple trade

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Malapropism
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,411

POR/OKC Simple trade 

Post#1 » by Malapropism » Sat Dec 6, 2008 7:07 am

Trade ID #4852294

Portland Trades: Channing Frye, Sergio Rodruiguez
Portland Receives: Joe Smith

I love Channing Frye as a person, but he's just not a good fit at the backup power-forward position. The last thing we need is a spot up jump shooter who can't rebound. Joe Smith brings many things to the table. He brings steady veteran leadership, consistent play, rebounding at the backup PF position, and hustle. All qualities I think this team needs. Plus, his contract runs out after this year anyways.

I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me with trading Sergio, he's played well, but many fans, myself included, feel that Bayless is our future point guard. He's been unable to get minutes because of the numbers crunch and the fact that some people don't think he's a point guard. I don't think he'll ever be a true point, but his point guard skills aren't going to get better unless he gets playing time. If we ever want him to develop into the player we think he can be, he should be worked into the rotation as soon as possible. We aren't winning a championship this year anyways, we should develop Bayless, and for Bayless to develop, Sergio must go.

Oklahoma City Trades: Joe Smith
Oklahoma City Receives: Channing Frye, Sergio Rodruiguez

Oklahoma City's season is done, there's no way they make the playoffs. They can afford to mess around with two young players and see what they can do with significant playing time. I think Sergio can beat out Earl Watson for the backup PG position (Watson is playing horribly) and Frye can have his minutes split between the PF and C positions.
london sonic
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Re: POR/OKC Simple trade 

Post#2 » by london sonic » Sat Dec 6, 2008 9:34 am

OKC says yes but I believe a few Blazer fans will disagree with you and say no.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#3 » by djthesonicsfan » Sat Dec 6, 2008 6:24 pm

I'd also do the trade, but I'd wait until the trade deadline to see if there's a better Joe Smith deal out there. I agree with london that probably most Blazer fans wouldn't like it, but I also agree with Malapropism that Bayless is the better way forward. I got a chance to watch him play against the Celtics last night. Even though they were just mop up minutes it's obvious Bayless is going to be a legit player in the association. In fact, if I'm Presti & I'm presented with this offer I'm doing whatever I can to get Bayless instead of Rodruiguez.
notSonics 2016
Starters - Trey, Roberson, KD, Ibaka, Adams
Rotation - Payne, Waiters, Green, McGary, Kanter
Bench - Collison, Christon, Brodgon, Huestis
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green
NateMustGo
Starter
And1: 1

Post#4 » by NateMustGo » Sat Dec 6, 2008 6:36 pm

djthesonicsfan wrote:I'd also do the trade, but I'd wait until the trade deadline to see if there's a better Joe Smith deal out there. I agree with london that probably most Blazer fans wouldn't like it, but I also agree with Malapropism that Bayless is the better way forward. I got a chance to watch him play against the Celtics last night. Even though they were just mop up minutes it's obvious Bayless is going to be a legit player in the association. In fact, if I'm Presti & I'm presented with this offer I'm doing whatever I can to get Bayless instead of Rodruiguez.
:lol: Absolutly not, you don't give up on Bayless for any reason. I also like the trade I want Nate to get his head out of his a$$ and start playing the kid,plus it gives us the change up we need at the 4. Good trade for the Sonics too.
Malapropism
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by Malapropism » Sat Dec 6, 2008 8:21 pm

djthesonicsfan wrote:I'd also do the trade, but I'd wait until the trade deadline to see if there's a better Joe Smith deal out there. I agree with london that probably most Blazer fans wouldn't like it, but I also agree with Malapropism that Bayless is the better way forward. I got a chance to watch him play against the Celtics last night. Even though they were just mop up minutes it's obvious Bayless is going to be a legit player in the association. In fact, if I'm Presti & I'm presented with this offer I'm doing whatever I can to get Bayless instead of Rodruiguez.

Yeah, I don't think we'd trade Bayless for Smith.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#6 » by loserX » Sat Dec 6, 2008 8:23 pm

I don't particularly see Frye or Rodriguez as any great shakes, but I don't get why Portland would do this either. If you're going to use those pieces, you might as well get something more beneficial than a temporary upgrade at backup PF.
Malapropism
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by Malapropism » Sat Dec 6, 2008 8:29 pm

loserX wrote:I don't particularly see Frye or Rodriguez as any great shakes, but I don't get why Portland would do this either. If you're going to use those pieces, you might as well get something more beneficial than a temporary upgrade at backup PF.

Portland is set at most positions though. I've tried looking for someone we could possibly get, but any upgrade and SF and PG just pushes Batum and Bayless farther down the depth chart. The backup 4 is one position that we might actually need. There's really not that many "bruiser" back up power forwards in the league. (Something we need imo) The perfect fit seems to be Maxiell, I've tried making trades to get Maxiell, but none of them make sense for Detroit.

I guess we could resign Smith to a small contract.
london sonic
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#8 » by london sonic » Sat Dec 6, 2008 11:32 pm

This seems one of those very rare occasions when both teams fans are happy with a trade proposal.Credit to Malpropism.
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#9 » by Milkdud » Sat Dec 6, 2008 11:35 pm

I honestly don't see much reason for Portland to do this.
southnc
Rookie

Post#10 » by southnc » Sun Dec 7, 2008 2:59 am

Excellent trade!

Joe Smith is a solid veteran and the trade would give Bayless a chance to learn in a true backup position.
SiCk-R-tHaNeVeR
Junior

Post#11 » by SiCk-R-tHaNeVeR » Sun Dec 7, 2008 3:11 am

I think it makes sense both ways, POR gives up more talent/upside for a known quantity that fits a need.

I guess this trade probably depends on your opinion of Super Sergio, is he a potential starter/star or is Bayless more likely the star?
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#12 » by JD45 » Sun Dec 7, 2008 6:59 am

I doubt that either Frye or Smith will get minutes for Portland after Webster comes back and Outlaw moves to PF. So no reason to do this deal.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat

Return to Trades and Transactions