Jamison for Rip?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Jamison for Rip? 

Post#1 » by nate33 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:37 pm

Simple trade: Jamison + DIxon for Rip Hamilton

Why for Washington: Jamison is 32 and the Wizards are at least 2-3 years away from being serious competitors for an NBA championship. Jamison can still play and is having one of his best seasons ever, but he's just not in the Wizards' plans for the future. Also, Deshawn Stevenson has been absolutely terrible and the Wizards could use a high quality starting SG to help groom Nick Young. Rip is 2 years younger than Jamison and his contract expires in 2010. (Young can take over then if he proves worthy.)

Why for Detroit: Detroit wants to start Stucky at PG so Iverson can maximize his usefulness at SG. The problem now is that they're forced to start Rip and SF and Prince at PF. That's clearly not a viable long term strategy. Both guys are gonna wear down eventually. Jamison can start at PF for Detroit and spend some minutes at SF to spell Prince to make room for McDyess and Maxiell.
killbuckner
RealGM
And1: 0

Re: Jamison for Rip? 

Post#2 » by killbuckner » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:53 pm

rip signed a 3 year extension. His contract runs until 2013
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#3 » by nate33 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:13 pm

killbuckner wrote:rip signed a 3 year extension. His contract runs until 2013

Hmmm. I don't know if I still like it for Washington then. I gotta think about it.

It would definitely make sense if the Wizards managed to land the #1 pick in the draft and acquired Blake Griffin. With the frontcourt set for the next 5 years, the Wizards should be willing to invest in a long-term contract for the backcourt. A lineup of Arenas, Rip, Butler, Griffin and Haywood would be pretty damn formiddable - especially when paired with a young, athletic bench of Crittenton, Young, DMac, Blatche and McGee.

But without Griffin, I think the Wizards would be wise to maintain a little more flexibility. We don't know if we can count on Blatche to be a true, high-quality, consistent starting PF or if he's just a talented but inconsistent 6th man.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#4 » by princeofpalace » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:08 pm

Detroit declines. Jamisons contract is far too big and Detroit does not need him
HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#5 » by HeroicKennedy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:48 am

princeofpalace wrote:Detroit declines. Jamisons contract is far too big and Detroit does not need him

Eh, I don't think the contract would be the breaking point, especially since we just extend a 30 year Hamilton for another 3 years beyond his current contract.

The value is pretty good. 19-9 is nothing to scoff at and paired up with a defensive-minded center (like Sheed) might work out.

No, the problem, I think, is Detroit moving forward. If they are really planning on going after Chris Bosh then there's no point in having Jamison around for another 4 seasons, especially since we've got Amir and Maxiell on the bench. Unless Jamison has a team option for his 4th year, Detroit will probably pass.

That being said:

Stuckey/Iverson/Prince/Jamison/Wallace would be damn hard to cover.
ChrisTheFuturePaul
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#6 » by ChrisTheFuturePaul » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:18 am

Theres alot to like about this idea.

If Washington do this and draft Thabeet or Griffin or Mullens they will be sitting pretty, Blatche is close to getting it right, McGee has been a pleasent surprise, they have Thomas & Haywood (one of which could be moved in a follow up deal) and an excellent backcourt in Arenas/Rip/Butler. Washington's already committed to long term salaries in Arenas, so Hamilton's contracts prolly not a huge issue, I see them doing this.

For Detroit they fully maximize their cap space, could land Boozer & hold out some cap space for 2010 and compete again, so yea, I think its a good idea
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,687

Post#7 » by Cowology » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:20 am

There is no way the Pistons would wanna pay a 32 year old Jamison $13 mil per year for the next 4 years.

I'm all for trading Rip for a forward...but not *that* forward.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#8 » by HeroicKennedy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:40 am

Cowology wrote:There is no way the Pistons would wanna pay a 32 year old Jamison $13 mil per year for the next 4 years.

I'm all for trading Rip for a forward...but not *that* forward.

Not $13 million a season.

Only $12 million!
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#9 » by vege » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:52 am

His contract is too ugly. No chance i would do it for Detroit.
$15,076,715 in 2011 for a 35 yo guy. That is a joke.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#10 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:25 am

vege wrote:His contract is too ugly. No chance i would do it for Detroit.

Jamison is currently having his best season as a pro. He is showing no signs of slowing down. His game doesn't rely on athleticism so he should continue to play well for a few more years.

Jamison is a bargain this year at $9.9M. He'll be fairly paid over the next two years at $11M and $13M respectively. In the last year of his contract, he'll probably start to decline a bit but he'll still be a solid player. $15M will be overpaying, but not egregiously so. He'll probably be worth about $10-11M.
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#11 » by roc » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:07 am

He is 32 has 4 1/2 years left on a big contract and fails at defense.

Hell NO!
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,687

Post#12 » by Cowology » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:27 am

nate33 wrote:
vege wrote:His contract is too ugly. No chance i would do it for Detroit.

Jamison is currently having his best season as a pro. He is showing no signs of slowing down. His game doesn't rely on athleticism so he should continue to play well for a few more years.

Jamison is a bargain this year at $9.9M. He'll be fairly paid over the next two years at $11M and $13M respectively. In the last year of his contract, he'll probably start to decline a bit but he'll still be a solid player. $15M will be overpaying, but not egregiously so. He'll probably be worth about $10-11M.
I am not buying whatever you are selling. IF you are that confident in his continued production at such an age then I suggest you keep him. We aren't interested. ;-)

Return to Trades and Transactions