KTB Entry: Charlotte/Chicago/New York/Portland

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

KTB Entry: Charlotte/Chicago/New York/Portland 

Post#1 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Jan 6, 2009 9:35 am

"IF you believe all teams would accept this trade, vote yes. If you believe otherwise, vote no. please explain your vote."

Successful Trade ID #4908698

Charlotte
Outgoing - Wallace, Bell

Incoming - Curry, Diogu, Randolph, NY 2011 1st Round Pick (Lottery Protected), LA Clippers 2nd Round Pick via Portland

Chicago
Outgoing - Hinrich, Simmons

Incoming - Blake, Outlaw, Webster, Portland 2009 1st Round Pick (Lottery Protected)

New York
Outgoing - Curry, Jeffries, Lee, 2011 1st Round Pick (Lottery Protected)

Incoming - LaFrentz, Frye, Rodriguez

Portland
Outgoing - LaFrentz, Blake, Outlaw, Webster, Frye, Diorgu, Rodriguez, Randolph, 2009 1st Round Pick (Lottery Protected), 2009 LA Clippers Pick via Portland

Incoming - Hinrich, Wallace, Jeffries, Bell, Lee, Simmons

Charlotte fills a necessary position with Curry, enabling Okafor to move back to the PF position. Charlotte saves nearly $20 million with this move, not including any luxury tax savings. The NY Pick is lottery protected in 2011, top 5 protected in 2012, and unprotected in 2013. (This pick may have to be adjusted depending on when the 2009 Pick is actually traded to Utah due to various protections and may not go until 2010 - unprotected).

Chicago adds several nice players to their bench. Blake and Outlaw have team options this summer so Chicago can save nearly $9 million next season by letting both players go this summer. Webster can play both the SG and SF position. Chicago saves anywhere from $3 million to $11 million with this move, not including any luxury tax savings. The Portland Pick is lottery protected in 2009, top 5 protected in 2010, and unprotected in 2011.

New York moves both large contracts that extend past 2010 and becomes a major player for Free Agents in 2010. New York saves more than $33 million with this move, not including any luxury tax savings. Rodriguez should flourish in D'Antoni's system. They were made for each other!

Portland moves a ton of players, many who are currently not used and a few who are used because they have to fill out their bench. Portland takes back a ton of contracts, but becomes instant players in the playoff race this season.

Charlotte, Chicago & New York all save money, while getting a decent return. New York is clearly the exception, but they do crawl out from under Curry and Jeffries contracts and are now become very able to sign multiple Free Agents in 2010.

I'm a Portland Homer and darn proud of it!!!
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Ray Allen Iverson
Starter
And1: 0

Re: KTB Entry: Charlotte/Chicago/New York/Portland 

Post#2 » by Ray Allen Iverson » Tue Jan 6, 2009 10:11 am

Two things: New York can not trade its 2011 1st-round draft pick, at the earliest 2012 again.

I was told that Charlotte is looking for an upgrade at shooting guard in case that they would have to part with Bell.

Just wanted to tell you that. :)

CHI bias:

Leto wrote:It doesn't matter what the Tornto front office wants. We don't need to take Hedo to get both [James and Bosh]

NYK bias:

drj wrote:I think Rubio isn't worth very much more than Jordan Hill.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Jan 6, 2009 10:22 am

Thanks RAI
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Ray Allen Iverson
Starter

Post#4 » by Ray Allen Iverson » Tue Jan 6, 2009 10:29 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Thanks RAI

You're welcome. Maybe it helps to take New York's pick out and add something of value instead (N. Robinson, W. Chandler are New York's main assets right now). Instead of New York's pick, Charlotte might receive Portland's pick, because Hinrich' trade value, mainly because of his hand injury, doesn't require one. Hopefully I could serve you some useful information. :)

CHI bias:

Leto wrote:It doesn't matter what the Tornto front office wants. We don't need to take Hedo to get both [James and Bosh]

NYK bias:

drj wrote:I think Rubio isn't worth very much more than Jordan Hill.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:09 am

Took your advice RAI. Successful Trade Idea #4910470

In addition to the original trade, the following takes place:

Richardson goes from NY to Charlotte.

Diogu goes to NY (instead of Charlotte).

Morrison & May go to NY.

Charlotte gets their SG.

NY actually saves money on this, as well.

This modification does not affect Chicago or Portland.

Here is the whole trade:

Charlotte
Outgoing - Wallace, Bell, Morrison, May

Incoming - Curry, Diogu, Randolph, Richardson, NY 2011 1st Round Pick (Lottery Protected), 2009 1st Round Pick (Lottery Protected), LA Clippers 2nd Round Pick via Portland

Chicago
Outgoing - Hinrich, Simmons

Incoming - Blake, Outlaw, Webster, Portland 2009 1st Round Pick (Lottery Protected)

New York
Outgoing - Curry, Jeffries, Lee, Richardson, 2011 1st Round Pick (Lottery Protected)

Incoming - LaFrentz, Frye, Rodriguez, Diogu, May, Morrison

Portland
Outgoing - LaFrentz, Blake, Outlaw, Webster, Frye, Diorgu, Rodriguez, Randolph, 2009 LA Clippers Pick via Portland

Incoming - Hinrich, Wallace, Jeffries, Bell, Lee, Simmons
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,432

Post#6 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:17 am

I'm voting no. I see no real reason as to why Charlotte does this. They give up a lot of value for someone who can't stay in shape(they already have that problem with May) and a 1st eound pick they won't see for another 3 years?

Also, everything is contradicting. You have the Bobcats getting a 2009 1st, but no one is giving one to them. Someone else said NY can't trade theirs until 2012, which you still haven't changed. Its kinda questionable all the way around. Just confusing to me.
Celts09
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#7 » by Celts09 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:19 am

Great trade for Portland, NY, Chicago. Bad trade for Charlotte
Celts09
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by Celts09 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:24 am

Portland gets alot better in this trade.
Hinrich
Roy
Wallace
Alridge
Oden
^ nice young lineup.

Every player on the Knicks will have their contract end by 2010.
NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by NBAMAN2006 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:46 am

Amazing for Chicago.
Great for Portland.
Great for NYK.
Bad, albeit not quite terrible, for Charlotte.
nyklebron
Freshman

Post#10 » by nyklebron » Wed Jan 7, 2009 5:33 am

Good trade although i don't think the blazers would want to blow up their team that much during the season. Also i think this is a great trade for the bobcats the only player of any real value there giving up is wallace and there getting 2 1st rounders and a starting center who had one of his best seasons under larry brown.
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,303

Post#11 » by countryboi » Wed Jan 7, 2009 6:20 am

trade sucks for the bobcats...i would love Diogu Randolph on the bobcats but curry and may on the same team would make the world explode
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#12 » by Agenda42 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 8:03 am

How does Chicago turn Hinrich into Blake, Outlaw, Webster, and a first round pick? That's just insane.
SoHo
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by SoHo » Wed Jan 7, 2009 9:14 am

I'll agree with some of the other posters, even with all the Curry to Charlotte rumors, I'm not sure I think they're at all interested (at least they shouldn't be...)

I also agree with Agenda, Chicago gets way too sweet of a deal for Hinrich who is coming off an injury and hasn't been playing nearly as well the last two seasons (granted this one he had a new coach and a stud rookie PG to adjust to)... and his contract, while declining, is still real big. Course, that doesn't mean I don't want him in Portland, just that we probably don't need to send all that for him.

I would think there might be a way to throw Webster and our 1st to Charlotte instead.

You should probably also re-route Bell, he's a worthwhile player for someone and in Portland he becomes the 3rd string SG behind Roy and Rudy, that's a terrible waste of a useful player.

Also you've got Diogu going to NY and Charlotte

Final point, as much as this reloads Portland for the better, there is absolutely no way KP makes this trade mid-season. Our PG rotation becomes Hinrich (coming off an injury, new to the system) and a rookie who at this point in his career is far more comfortable scoring than running an offense in Bayless.

Talent wise I'm not sure you can say no, but man is that a lot of salary to commit in the middle of the season, not to mention how much that roster turnaround would devastate our chemistry.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,313

Post#14 » by coldfish » Wed Jan 7, 2009 2:38 pm

I think NY gets a fantastic deal. They unload Curry and Jefferies with only giving up sweetener that they don't want (lee).

Chicago has no use for all those players. Its fine value, but none of them will play much.

Portland makes out too well. They turn garbage and filler into Hinrich, Lee and Wallace.

Charlotte gets killed.

A big no to this trade.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Jan 8, 2009 2:22 am

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll give it another go in a few days and see if I can do any better.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018

Return to Trades and Transactions