Dallas tears it down, Portland tears up the league

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Dallas tears it down, Portland tears up the league 

Post#1 » by jowglenn » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:08 pm

Nowitzki
Terry

for

Aldridge
Bayless
Fernandez
RLEC
Channing Frye (to make salaries match)
portland 2009 draft pick, boatload of 2nd rounders (they have like 72 over the next 2 years)
any other picks or players not listed below that dallas wants, they can have them too.

Why for Portland: need I really answer that?

Terry
Roy
Batum
Nowitzki
Oden

and a bench of

Blake
Webster
Outlaw
Przybila

That's just sick. That should be illegal

Why for Dallas: A lot of people are saying silly things like, 'well we have terry and howard signed til whenever, and we can't trade our best players! the 2010 pick we sent to new jersey is unprotected! And we have Dampier signed to that ridiculous contract, we have to win now! We traded freakin devin harris, and now we're in complete denial!!!!'

I know it hurts for you Dallas fans, but you could be in a worse position. Dallas clears a ton of money off their books, gets aldridge, bayless, and fernandez. not just three young guys with potential. Three young guys with potential who are already producing. A solid core to build around with bayless, fernandez, howard, aldridge, bass, and whatever you can scrounge from your remaining assets

Obviously, Dallas would let kidd expire, and try to find deals to move stackhouse. Dampier is just dead weight and dallas has to live with the consequences of giving him such a contract, with or without this trade.

If you don't do this, Dallas, you'll will find yourself going into 2010 with nowitzki, howard, terry, and dampier making a combined $56 million. Good luck trading kidd to get anyone top-flight to go with it, and good luck striking gold in the 2009 draft with just your 2009, #21 pick.
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 153

Re: Dallas tears it down, Portland tears up the league 

Post#2 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:23 pm

Portland shortens their window by about 5 years maybe more. Por says no.
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#3 » by farzi » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:24 pm

Portland would be really good no doubt, but I don't know if you want to trade for older players (30+) right now. I'd still probably do it though
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
A-Town Connection
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#4 » by A-Town Connection » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:40 pm

I am sure all the Portland fans would say no way, we are holding out with our young talent, which isn't a bad thing, but there is no guarantee that any of the guys you trade will be nearly as good as Dirk and Terry at this point in their careers. Portland should make this trade. They get immediate help for Roy while still keeping A LOT of young talent. Dirk and Terry are perfect for Roy providing him more space to do what he does.As a Dallas fan, I want to rebuild so I would take the package and fear playing Portland for the next 6 to 8 years.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#5 » by The Guilty Party » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:45 pm

As a complete outsider, I could see why both teams would do this deal and also why they would NOT. That said, there are no guarantees that a group of young players are going to grow together and stay together in order to build a champion. The addition of Dirk and Terry would put Portland as the 2nd best team in the West with a legitimate chance of knocking off of the Lakers if not this year then perhaps next year.

For Dallas, it does mean moving the franchise player but Aldridge could develop into a stud as the #1 man on his team. They would have a lot of cap space to help fill in the gaps around him, Howard, and Bayless but that is still a helluva building block.
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#6 » by Agenda42 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:50 pm

I really wouldn't want to give up Bayless. I think he's going to be a great player in the future.

I don't think Portland is really ready to make that "win now" move. They will naturally want to make a deal like this in a couple seasons, but I think that things aren't lining up to maximize the championship window in this deal.
jowglenn
General Manager

Post#7 » by jowglenn » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:53 pm

why not do it? the lakers are the only true great team in the west. you've got the roy/kobe matchup, bynum/oden, now you get nowitzki to match up with gasol. only difference is you have a deeper more diverse supporting cast, and you'll be better.
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 153

Post#8 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:03 pm

you leave out Fernandez who is a huge part of this trade. He WILL be better than Terry without a doubt IMO. Aldridge is a stud and only getting better. This team will be a contender in 2 years and that window will stay open for about another 4 IMO. Getting Dirk and Terry shrinks that window
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#9 » by JES12 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:06 pm

As I said on the other thread, I can't see Cuban doing this, but I would.

It would HAVE to include Bayless and Aldridge. I can give a rat's ass about Rudy. He is over-rated anyways. I'd much perfer Bayless, Batum and Aldridge.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#10 » by The Guilty Party » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:07 pm

Nicky Nix Nook wrote:you leave out Fernandez who is a huge part of this trade. He WILL be better than Terry without a doubt IMO. Aldridge is a stud and only getting better. This team will be a contender in 2 years and that window will stay open for about another 4 IMO. Getting Dirk and Terry shrinks that window

If Portland become a viable contender in the next 2 years with the team as is.... then I expect that window to stay open longer than 4 years. I think they could be looking at 8 years of contending for championships given the ages of Roy, Aldridge, Oden, and Bayless.

The question of course will be health and contracts. If they can keep everyone happy with their roles and their money and everyone stays healthy.... they should be looking to a run similar to the Spurs.
A-Town Connection
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by A-Town Connection » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:10 pm

Nicky Nix Nook wrote:you leave out Fernandez who is a huge part of this trade. He WILL be better than Terry without a doubt IMO. Aldridge is a stud and only getting better. This team will be a contender in 2 years and that window will stay open for about another 4 IMO. Getting Dirk and Terry shrinks that window

Yeah and Ryan Leaf was going to be just as good as Peyton Manning. :wink:

Come on man. You can sit here and guess all day about "what could happen", or Portland could take a leap and become the second best team in the West. Young talent is great you have. I am not advocating trading all young talent( everyone starts somewhere), but you get something you have to give something. For all we know, none of the guys going to dallas could amount to much. Portland knows what they are getting while still keeping a big part of their young core.
Malapropism
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,411

Post#12 » by Malapropism » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:14 pm

I'd rather not shorten Portland's window. So, no.
jowglenn
General Manager

Post#13 » by jowglenn » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:22 pm

A couple people have talked about Portland's 'window.'

Remember, no matter how long you make the window, you actually need to jump through it at some point.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#14 » by loserX » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:24 pm

I think it's a good concept for Portland. Nobody knows whether they're even going to have a window with the current roster...the idea of having a team is to win championships, not amass potential. Here the Blazers trade in some scratch-and-win tickets for cash; they become instant contenders by adding a legitimate MVP and an (apparent) great fit at PG. It's not like either player is on their last legs, either.

Their wing depth gets a little thin, so I don't know that the deal is perfect...but I think they should definitely consider it if it's offered.
jowglenn
General Manager

Post#15 » by jowglenn » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:53 pm

in fact their wing depth does not suffer greatly. They still have Blake and Sergio at point, so Terry can easily shift to SG and backup Roy there. You still have Batum, Webster, Outlaw to play at SF.

You can play: terry, roy, batum, dirk, oden
Or; blake, terry, roy, outlaw, przybila
Or: blake, terry, webster, nowitzki, oden
Or: Terry, Roy, Webster, Nowitzki, Pryzbila,
Or: Roy, Webster, Outlaw, Nowitzki, Oden (super tall lineup!)

All I know is, you have terry, blake, and sergio at point, then roy and terry (and webster if need be) at the 2, and webster, batum, and if necessary outlaw at the 3. you have dirk at pf, backd up by outlaw, and you retain the oden/vanilla gorilla combo
SalemStoner
Veteran
And1: 82

Post#16 » by SalemStoner » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:36 am

loserX wrote:I think it's a good concept for Portland. Nobody knows whether they're even going to have a window with the current roster...the idea of having a team is to win championships, not amass potential. Here the Blazers trade in some scratch-and-win tickets for cash; they become instant contenders by adding a legitimate MVP and an (apparent) great fit at PG. It's not like either player is on their last legs, either.

Their wing depth gets a little thin, so I don't know that the deal is perfect...but I think they should definitely consider it if it's offered.

I'd say you pretty much hit the nail on the head... maybe not this EXACT deal, but something similar to it would make a lot of sense from POR's perspective.
A-Town Connection
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by A-Town Connection » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:51 am

jowglenn wrote:A couple people have talked about Portland's 'window.'

Remember, no matter how long you make the window, you actually need to jump through it at some point.

QFT. Wasn't too long ago all of Chicago's young talent was untouchable unless Kobe or someone came back. Portland is getting a former MVP and 20 scorer for a good young building block( cause Aldridge has actually proved something) for some other unknowns, I can respect wanting to hold onto that talent, but don't expect to get more than that.
Malapropism
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by Malapropism » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:09 am

jowglenn wrote:A couple people have talked about Portland's 'window.'

And Portland isn't ready with the current roster OR the roster after. Realize that Dirk and Terry only have 2-3 more years of peak performance. Will Oden become the center people want him to be when Dirk and Terry are still in their prime? If Oden doesn't become that player during Dirk/Terry's prime, is Roy/Dirk/Terry good enough to contend for a title?

For me, I see two options, the first is staying with the current roster, keep the chemistry, and watch the gradual progression of each individual player. Of course there's no guarantee of a title, or even title contention, but there's no real guarantee if you make the trade either. The second is going for someone like Chris Bosh, who is younger and arguably as good as Dirk.
amb1ent
Veteran
And1: 17

Post#19 » by amb1ent » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:05 am

^ and what's to say a diminishing dirk (who in 2-3 years is still only 33) still isn't better than aldridge?
Malapropism
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by Malapropism » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:08 am

amb1ent wrote:^ and what's to say a diminishing dirk (who in 2-3 years is still only 33) still isn't better than aldridge?

Nothing, but that's a risk, just like the trade.

Maybe Aldridge is better than a diminishing Dirk, or maybe it's the other way around, we just don't know at this point. I'd rather play it safe and stay with Aldridge AND other young pieces like Rudy.

Return to Trades and Transactions