Blazers in the hunt for "Elite" point guard

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

spidythejoe
Rookie
And1: 80

Blazers in the hunt for "Elite" point guard 

Post#1 » by spidythejoe » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:27 am

I just read the headline that Blazers were cooling on the idea of Amare to instead focus on landing an "elite point guard". The article insinuates that they are looking to add Nash, but, like other elite point guards, he is considered untoughable. Blazers can come up with a package to meet almost any demands, but what team in their right mind would trade a truly elite point guard (Paul, Rose, D Williams, Nash)? Or even hot young talent (Westbrook, Harris, Nelson, Augustine, Stucky, Rondo)?

That just leave a few guys. So if Amare really is out of the picture, are any of the following guys worth giving up young assets/draft picks/Raef LaFrenz for? Any teams willing to work out deals for these guys?

Monte Ellis - Coming back from injury, not a true point
Jason Kidd - Old and expiring
Jose Calderon - Toronto is skidding
Baron Davis - Fragile and expensive
Andre Miller - old and expiring
Allen Iverson - Old, expiring, not a true point
TJ Ford - Not elite, but interesting
Mike Bibby - expiring

Best option seems to be Calderon, but he seems the least likely to be availible. I think TJ Ford would be the next best option. Bayless and expring might get it done.
Ghosten
Junior
And1: 0

Re: Blazers in the hunt for "Elite" point guard 

Post#2 » by Ghosten » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:37 am

Thats from CBS Sportsline, I'd just ignore that story. yesterday they said that Portland offered PHX LMA, Bayless and RLEC for Amare.

We all know that is BS, because I didn't see a press conference in Portland today with Pritchard holding up a Amare jersey.
:party:
The Laker Kid wrote:I think Posey is better than Wade.. even when he was in Miami

:rofl2:
inrapscity
General Manager
And1: 62

Post#3 » by inrapscity » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:38 am

it's going to be hinrich for webster+frye+diogu.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,505

Post#4 » by RIPskaterdude » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:43 am

You forgot to include Beno "elite" Udrih ;)
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#5 » by Spykes » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:54 am

spidythejoe wrote:I just read the headline that Blazers were cooling on the idea of Amare to instead focus on landing an "elite point guard". The article insinuates that they are looking to add Nash, but, like other elite point guards, he is considered untoughable. Blazers can come up with a package to meet almost any demands, but what team in their right mind would trade a truly elite point guard (Paul, Rose, D Williams, Nash)? Or even hot young talent (Westbrook, Harris, Nelson, Augustine, Stucky, Rondo)?

That just leave a few guys. So if Amare really is out of the picture, are any of the following guys worth giving up young assets/draft picks/Raef LaFrenz for? Any teams willing to work out deals for these guys?

Monte Ellis - Coming back from injury, not a true point
Jason Kidd - Old and expiring
Jose Calderon - Toronto is skidding
Baron Davis - Fragile and expensive
Andre Miller - old and expiring
Allen Iverson - Old, expiring, not a true point
TJ Ford - Not elite, but interesting
Mike Bibby - expiring

Really, not even a single mention of Hinrich? He easily been the most talked about PG going to Portland for the past 6 months.

Anyway, I'll give my thoughts on the guys you mentioned...

Monte Ellis - As you said, not a true PG. That said, the Blazers don't necessarily need a "true PG" with Brandon Roy. Blazers could be pretty interested in him, depends what the Warriors asking price is. It's hard to get a grasp on how much they value him after the moped incident. There's a lot of conflicting reports out there regarding Ellis and the Warriors.

Jason Kidd - Very good fit. I think the Blazers would love to have Kidd. Gives them a great veteran leader who they need, but also is old enough that the Blazers can be grooming Bayless for when Kidd retires in a few years. Blazers probably would have to keep LaFrentz and use their cap space in the summer to get him. Portland already made a play for Kidd earlier this season and the Mavs reportedly wanted Bayless in return, which the Blazers rightly turned down.

Jose Calderon - Blazers had interest in Calderon last season, but weren't able to get him from the Raptors. With his contract extension, it'll be tough to match salaries, but not impossible. His defense is absolutely horrid, even for a PG. So that'll make the Blazers pause, but I still think they'd like to have him. Perhaps something could be hammered out where the Blazers take Kapono's contract.

Baron Davis - Probably too expensive for the Blazers taste. Also, not a particularly great fit.

Andre Miller - According to Sixer fans, he doesn't work well with an off-guard who needs to handle the ball a lot. So its questionable how good he'd fit next to Roy. That said, there's potential there. I'd put him in the same category as Kidd. But he'd be an Option B in that category.

Allen Iverson - In that aforementioned category, AI would be Option D... Maybe lower. He's disrupted chemistry in his last 2 stops and really needs to dominate the ball to be effective. He brings some interesting things to the table, but probably not a great fit.

TJ Ford - Neither KP or McMillan are fans of small PG's. They certainly aren't interested in someone with the injury history of Ford. The likelihood of the Blazers being interested in him is quite low.

Mike Bibby - Another PG in the older soon-to-be FA category. Probably Option C for the Blazers. They've made offers for him in the recent past. Doesn't sound like the Hawks are interested in moving him. Again, the Blazers best chance at getting him will probably be waiting until the summer.

spidythejoe wrote:Best option seems to be Calderon, but he seems the least likely to be availible. I think TJ Ford would be the next best option. Bayless and expring might get it done.

Yikes. No chance the Blazers move Bayless and an expiring for Ford. None what-so-ever.

Calderon is an interesting option. One that I hadn't thought of recently, but could fit with some of the rumors we've been hearing in Portland lately. I'd personally give up Bayless to get Calderon, but I can understand why others wouldn't, and it's likely KP wouldn't give up Bayless either. Again tho, getting salaries to match is gonna be tough with Calderon being a PPP.

I'd say Hinrich probably is still pretty high on the Blazers list.

However, I'd suggest not reading too far into what CBSSports has to say on this issue. They were pretty far off with the Aldridge + Bayless + Raef for Amare rumor. What we're hearing from those close to the Blazers here in Portland is that the team is focusing more on trying to find help at SF and just getting some depth at PG. I'm sure if they can find a high caliber PG, they'd take him, but SF is probably the biggest need for the Blazers.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#6 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:55 am

I said a while back that I thought TJ Ford would be a nice fit for Portland, but it seems most Blazers fans disagree.

What about Felton? I would imagine he would come a little cheaper then some of the others.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Spykes » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:59 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:I said a while back that I thought TJ Ford would be a nice fit for Portland, but it seems most Blazers fans disagree.

As I said before, history has shown that neither Pritchard or McMillan are fans of small PG's. And the Blazers already have had more than enough trouble with player injuries, so it's very unlikely they'd trade for a player with as serious injury problems as Ford.

vincecarter4pres wrote:What about Felton? I would imagine he would come a little cheaper then some of the others.

Eh. Felton just isn't that impressive imo. Maybe the Blazers have a higher view of him than I do, but I'm thoroughly unimpressed by Felton. He just screams Jarrett Jack Part 2 imo.

If we could get him cheap enough, sure, I'd give him a shot. I'd also be more than willing to try him out if he's involved in a bigger deal with Gerald Wallace coming to Portland. 8-)
CB-Blazer
Head Coach
And1: 545

Post#8 » by CB-Blazer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:59 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:I said a while back that I thought TJ Ford would be a nice fit for Portland, but it seems most Blazers fans disagree.

What about Felton? I would imagine he would come a little cheaper then some of the others.

It's on the wiretap that the Bobkitties want to keep him?

I honestly want to go for Hinrich or no one else.....
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Spykes » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:02 am

CB-Blazer wrote:

Ya, I got Hinrich or Calderon on the top of my list. If neither of those work out, I'd try and keep our cap space and try to sign one of either Kidd, Miller or Bibby... Maybe add AI to that list if the Blazers get desperate.
NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#10 » by NBAMAN2006 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:04 am

Smells of Kirk. He is, by far, the best fit for this team.

I am suprised though that they wouldnt target a SF, which is by far their weakest postion right now. Maby they dont want to jump the gun and simply assume Webster isnt the future at SF simply because he is injured.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#11 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:05 am

Spykes, I'm still suprised you like Calderon.

IMO, he is Zach Randolph of the point guards.(You know I have been calling him that for a while and just realised that the reference has ties to the Blazers.)
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
CB-Blazer
Head Coach

Post#12 » by CB-Blazer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:06 am

Spykes wrote:
CB-Blazer wrote:

Ya, I got Hinrich or Calderon on the top of my list. If neither of those work out, I'd try and keep our cap space and try to sign one of either Kidd, Miller or Bibby... Maybe add AI to that list if the Blazers get desperate.

I thought about Calderon, but then his defense would be detrimental to Odens development. He fouls enough trying to make up for Blakes defensive shortcomings, he will get like 12mpg with Calderon at PG lol.

If we don't land Hinrich, I would much rather and wait to try and sign a PG this offseason than to trade away assets for one that is expiring.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Spykes » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:13 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:Spykes, I'm still suprised you like Calderon.

IMO, he is Zach Randolph of the point guards.(You know I have been calling him that for a while and just realised that the reference has ties to the Blazers.)

I'm one of the few Blazer fans who is willing to overlook his defensive deficiencies.

Also, I don't buy the Zach Randolph comparison. Maybe you've seen him more closely than I have, but I think he'd be a pretty solid fit next to Roy. He's basically a rich-mans version of Steve Blake, and Blake is a great fit next to Roy. He's a solid play-maker with outstanding shooting abilities which helps spread the floor for Roy on iso's.

If they'd be willing to do a deal like this...

Raef
Sergio
Outlaw

for

Calderon
Parker
Kapono

I'd seriously consider it. Parker would help the Blazers defense some... Neither Kapono or Calderon would tho. But I don't think the Blazers would need to be a dominate defensive team as long as they have better spacing in their offensive sets. I think things would balance themselves out a bit.

I donno, just throwing an idea out there.

All that said, I agree with most here than Hinrich is probably the best fit and most realistic option for the Blazers.
CB-Blazer
Head Coach

Post#14 » by CB-Blazer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:17 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:Spykes, I'm still suprised you like Calderon.

:lol: so true, so true
HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#15 » by HeroicKennedy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:33 am

Allen Iverson - In that aforementioned category, AI would be Option D... Maybe lower. He's disrupted chemistry in his last 2 stops and really needs to dominate the ball to be effective. He brings some interesting things to the table, but probably not a great fit.

OK, as a Piston fan, people need to stop blaming Iverson for our struggles right now. He is not the reason we are only 3 games above .500. And don't act like the Nuggets were terrible with him on their team. In his first full season with the team, they went a very respectable 50-32 in a tough, tough Western Conference, without a healthy Nene and with the overrated Marcus Camby.
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#16 » by JES12 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:48 am

If the Blazers are trying to get an "elite PG" with Aldridge and Bayless, I can assure you that none of the aformentioned names qualify. They are looking for the all-star to franchise level PGs (Harris, Parker, Paul, D. Williams, etc.). The problem is, that most of thier options could come via free agency (Kidd, Miller...not Bibby or Iverson) or they simply will not get a better option than developing Bayless.

If hey want an average PG that may or may not be an upgrade to Blake and may come within budget, they may look at Hinrich (Webster + Blake).
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 153

Post#17 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:51 am

HeroicKennedy wrote:

OK, as a Piston fan, people need to stop blaming Iverson for our struggles right now. He is not the reason we are only 3 games above .500. And don't act like the Nuggets were terrible with him on their team. In his first full season with the team, they went a very respectable 50-32 in a tough, tough Western Conference, without a healthy Nene and with the overrated Marcus Camby.

Um what was your record BEFORE you traded for him?

Hasn't he been Rip Hamilton's kryptonite?

Is it a coincidence that the Pistons fell apart as soon as he joined?

Is it a coincidence that Denver blossomed after receiving Billups?

They're honest questions because I'm sure you know more about him than me.
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:54 am

Spykes wrote:As I said before, history has shown that neither Pritchard or McMillan are fans of small PG's. And the Blazers already have had more than enough trouble with player injuries, so it's very unlikely they'd trade for a player with as serious injury problems as Ford.

Im curious: Do Blake and Rodriguez qualify as "big" PG's?
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#19 » by Agenda42 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:01 am

The Blazers looking to add an elite point guard in midseason goes against a lot of prior comments by KP. Both he and Nate are conservative guys in midseason, preferring to leave as much of the rotation intact as possible.

I think that adding a guy like Hinrich would work just fine, since Roy still handles the ball a lot and Aldridge is still the second option. If they were to actually get a guy like Nash, though, a ton of stuff would need to change in order to get the value out of that deal.
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:05 am

I think Hinrich is a terrific fit in Portland. He's a good chemistry guy who can pass, shoot, play some defense, and work off the ball.

Return to Trades and Transactions