Other than expirings, what does GS want for Crawford?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Re: Other than expirings, what does GS want for Crawford? 

Post#21 » by Alfred » Thu May 7, 2009 7:42 pm

So now Crawford is worth expirings? Interesting.

What is Maggette worth now?
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#22 » by old rem » Thu May 7, 2009 8:01 pm

timdunkit wrote:
NetsForce wrote:The Warriors will probably take anything for Crawford.

+1

I dont think they have a choice either really, with the way Don Nelson destroyed any value Crawford had in a trade ... not only did Crawford not play but Don Nelson pretty much said he was on the trading block with that threat of his ... GSW lost all leverage they had ...

Actually...after that , Crawford had games he played 35+ min. He was out injured the last half dozen games but so was half the team and GSW wasn't that motivated to bring any injured players back.
That GSW was overstocked at G and Monta-Jackson were starting with Morrow deserving minutes was evident. That's not a reason GSW accepts the worst imaginable swap.

I think about $9 mill x 3 with yr 3 an option is about the market on Marion. However...Marion-Jackson would be seperate from any deal where a pick is involved as the time frame for a Re-sign or S+T starts post draft. It can break down to 2 deals.

I'm not seeing Roko as that desireable and Kapono...yech...however we can use the pick even if we're trading down in a draft where the payoff for a trade down is less than usual. If Roko is nessecery to cap-match..we could take him and maybe find a way to just give him for a 2011 rd 2 or such. Kapono...pretty much deadweight for a year, then maybe moveable as an expiring in we are looking at player X who's a longer deal.

I do think Marion can be a plus, even after a down year. He rebounds and we do need that. He can be a "combo" F which makes him good alongside Randolph. I want Morrow, Azubuike, Belinnelli getting SG minutes. They add up to a lot.

Would take anything......no. There's plenty of "anything" type stuff out there that's brutal. We won't want to pay the same to have 2 unusable/untradeable stiffs clog the roster,for example (unless as suggested here there's a nice incentive). We won't want to add a "keeper" to Crawford to get some package where there may be some year 2 $ saved but we basocally lose a quality player with Craw just to trim a few $ one season. I have SEEN the worst of all possible deals offered up in deals with Golden State. I know some of Our Troops are willing to accept...whatever...but that IS exactly how we get into such a situation (but worse). Crawford, this year..had a 50 pt game, a 40 pt gamr, a number of 30 pt games. He filled roles at PG + SG and had a plus attitude all the way. GSW has no URGENCY to "get rid of" Craw , but we do have half the roster able to play SG. Leverage? Really....It was no secret said or unsaid. It wasn't supposed to be a public statement.

This proposal is rather reasonable.

Those responses that say " anything" are just impulse reactions and not thought out. Obviously GSW is not doing Craw for Eddy Curry, or for Kapono+Banks (and no pick) or for a dozen other nightmare options. GSW is not looking for a GREAT deal.....does need to break even at minimum.
CENSORED... No comment.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#23 » by old rem » Thu May 7, 2009 8:55 pm

RonaldArtest wrote:
FireNellieQuick wrote:
RonaldArtest wrote:So what if we simply made it:

Kapono + Humphries + cash ($2M or so)
for
Crawford

Kapono's a sniper and he plays within his role on the team (not a chucker), and Humphries is an underated big who a good rebounder, hustles and even beats guards down the floor. I think he'd be a great back-up C in GS.

Is that acceptable to either side?

Humphries is a PF... not acceptable at all. Was referring to a real C or a fringe starting PG... I dont think TOR has either.

I figured in Nellie ball, if Harrington can be a C, then Humps certainly can. Fair enough though.

What about a prospect C like Jawai or POB? I know O'Bryant didn't exactly set the earth on fire when he played there, but Jawai has lots of potential, good wingspan and a nice wide frame.

Kapono + Jawai + $3M
for
Crawford

?

POB and Jawai are both a bit too raw for Nellie's attention span. He'd always been reluctant when it came to putting such a player on the floor and letting him learn by doing...and I consider that a flaw in Nellie's ways. Kapono....is SO far down the depth chart he'd be in street clothes half the time...and that's a LOT of $ for just guarding the Gatorade. #9...that offsets that somewhat. POB/Jawai ...most likely that wastes a roster spot.
CENSORED... No comment.
SideSwipe
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#24 » by SideSwipe » Thu May 7, 2009 9:14 pm

What about TOR sending Calderon, with GS sending the #7, Crawford

TOR
Jennings
Crawford
Marion
Bosh
Bargnani

GS
Calderon
Ellis
Jackson
Wright
Beans
don nelson
Head Coach
And1: 3

Post#25 » by don nelson » Thu May 7, 2009 9:48 pm

SideSwipe wrote:What about TOR sending Calderon, with GS sending the #7, Crawford

TOR
Jennings
Crawford
Marion
Bosh
Bargnani

GS
Calderon
Ellis
Jackson
Wright
Beans

The Warriors were 30th in the NBA in the average number of number of points allowed per game and the only way the Warriors can really expect to improve their win total next season is to shore up their defense. A back court of Calderon and Ellis would have major problems even guarding the Statue of Liberty much less have any hope of improving their perimeter defense. If Ellis and Calderon won’t work as the Warriors starting guard tandem, Golden State can't afford to pay Calderon an average of $9.4 million for each of the next fours years just to be Monta’s backup at point guard. Keeping Crawford on the bench for the entire year just so he can become a highly coveted $10 million expiring contract in 2010 is much better than taking on a longer contract like the $37.6 million remaining on Calderon's contract. Warriors say no.
ClipperEric
Rookie
And1: 5

Post#26 » by ClipperEric » Thu May 7, 2009 9:52 pm

Would you take Baron back for Crawford?
don nelson
Head Coach

Post#27 » by don nelson » Thu May 7, 2009 9:55 pm

ClipperEric wrote:Would you take Baron back for Crawford?

Take a look at how much money each player is still owed and the answer should be obvious.
ClipperEric
Rookie
And1: 5

Post#28 » by ClipperEric » Thu May 7, 2009 9:57 pm

don nelson wrote:

Take a look at how much money each player is still owed and the answer should be obvious.

What if we took another of your bad assets? You decide what that is.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#29 » by loserX » Thu May 7, 2009 9:59 pm

don nelson wrote:

Not necessarily obvious, since as you are fond of pointing out the Warriors will not be significantly over the tax or under the cap until 2013/14 anyway (when Davis' contract has run out).

That said, I would imagine enough bridges have been burned that Davis will not be back in GS any time soon.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#30 » by Trader_Joe » Thu May 7, 2009 10:20 pm

Would you guys do Crawford, Belinelli, #7, 2010 #2 for Iggy?

I'm not sure Philly would but it does seem reasonably fair.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
don nelson
Head Coach

Post#31 » by don nelson » Thu May 7, 2009 10:22 pm

loserX wrote:
don nelson wrote:

Not necessarily obvious, since as you are fond of pointing out the Warriors will not be significantly over the tax or under the cap until 2013/14 anyway (when Davis' contract has run out).

That said, I would imagine enough bridges have been burned that Davis will not be back in GS any time soon.

The Warriors first opportunity to have cap space will be in 2011 if Golden State does not add or trade for more long term money like Baron's deal. The Warriors told Mike Dunleavy they could keep Davis when he asked about trading Maggette and Marcu Williams for Baron last February.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#32 » by loserX » Thu May 7, 2009 10:34 pm

don nelson wrote:
loserX wrote:
don nelson wrote:Take a look at how much money each player is still owed and the answer should be obvious.

The Warriors first opportunity to have cap space will be in 2011 if Golden State does not add or trade for more long term money like Baron's deal.

...or re-sign Brandan Wright. Or re-sign Marco Belinelli. Or sign any of their draft picks between now and then. They will have about $46M tied up in 6 players as it stands. If they don't do any of those things, then yes they will have capspace. Is that the team's plan?
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#33 » by gswhoops » Thu May 7, 2009 10:45 pm

ClipperEric wrote:
don nelson wrote:

What if we took another of your bad assets? You decide what that is.

The only deal I would accept would be Crawford and Maggette for Baron and Ricky Davis (expiring)
Padawan
Junior
And1: 2

Post#34 » by Padawan » Thu May 7, 2009 10:46 pm

Will they have cap space in 2011? I don't think they will... They'll have like 40M in 4 players. They have a young core in Ellis, Biedrins, Wright, Randolph, Kelena and possibly Morrow and Marco.

imo they should trade Crawford for cap relief and possibly some picks. If they can package one of the core players for one that is able to get some minutes ( i'd say a young point guard ) that would be great.
WarFan
RealGM
And1: 1,484

Post#35 » by WarFan » Thu May 7, 2009 10:58 pm

Unless something drastic happens, GS won't have cap-space in 2011. That is when we need some wiggle room though, so Crawford deals that bring back longer contracts are pretty much a no go.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

Post#36 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Thu May 7, 2009 11:55 pm

what about a deal like this

Raptors Trade:
Jason Kapono $6,212,960

Raptors Get:
Jamal Crawford $9,360,000

Warriors Trade:

Warriors Get:
Reggie Evans $4,960,000
Roko Ukic $1,350,000
3 million Cash

76ers Trade:
Reggie Evans $4,960,000

76ers Get:
Jason Kapono $6,212,960

Raptors get their scoring guards and toughness

Warriors dump crawford get a rebounder in evans and a young pg to develop

76ers get a shooter

or

Marion S&T (7,500,000) 3 years
3 million Cash

for

Jackson
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
Padawan
Junior
And1: 2

Post#37 » by Padawan » Thu May 7, 2009 11:58 pm

Rapsobsessed7 wrote:what about a deal like this

Raptors Trade:
Jason Kapono $6,212,960
Roko Ukic $1,350,000
3 million Cash
= 15, 062, 960
= 18, 928, 700

Raptors Get:
Stephen Jackson $7,650,000
= 17, 010, 000

Warriors Trade:
Stephen Jackson $7,650,000
= 17, 010, 000

Warriors Get:
Reggie Evans $4,960,000
Roko Ukic $1,350,000
= 13, 810,000
3 million Cash

76ers Trade:
Reggie Evans $4,960,000

76ers Get:
Jason Kapono $6,212,960

Raptors get their scoring guards and toughness

Warriors dump crawford get a rebounder in evans and a good defending SF that fits in their uptempo style of play.

76ers get a shooter

Calderon/Felton(MLE)/Banks
Delfino/Crawford/Parker
Jackson/Derozan(#9)
Bosh/Hump/Pops
Bargnani/Rasho/O'Byrant

Ellis/Jennings/Roko
Maggette/Belinelli/Morrow
Marion/Azubuike
Randolph/Wright/Evans
Biedrins/Turiaf

Miller/Teague/Ivey
Iggy/Williams/Green
Young/Kapono
Brand/Smith
Dalembert/Speights

Not a good trade for the Warriors imo.

Not a bad trade for the Sixers although i think they value Reggie Evans.
WarFan
RealGM
And1: 1,484

Post#38 » by WarFan » Thu May 7, 2009 11:59 pm

I like Jackson better than Marion so no. I'd be okay with the Crawford for Evans/Ukic swap.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

Post#39 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Thu May 7, 2009 11:59 pm

yeah i realized that i changed it, to either one it would be either a S&T for Marion for Jackson or Evans+Roko for Crawford.
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#40 » by turk3d » Fri May 8, 2009 12:39 am

CB-Blazer wrote:
turk3d wrote:The reason I say the #9 might be enticing is that it could be packaged with the #7 (maybe winds up higher due to the lottery) to perhaps put in position to get a bigger and better deal elsewhere. Like I said, it's something I might consider.

As for Crawford, I'm probably in a different camp than most. Although I don't feel that he should be netting us a superstar, I also don't feel we should be taking junk back in spite of what Nellie has published to the world. I'm not concerned at all about what happens with him. There's 3 possibilities as I see it:

1) He opts out (which I believe is a distinct possibility in spite of what most people think)
2) He stays with us for another year (which I think is least likely but is something I can surely live with) or
3) A decent trade will be worked out.

No matter which one transpires, I would not trade him for garbage (since he is not garbage). Crawford is an above average player, has a very good attitude, is versatile (can play both guard positions adequately), is on a short relatively low contract, is a starter quality player and is no malcontent.

Therefore being "stuck" with him would not be the worst thing in the world. I believe that a number of teams will be interested in him this offseason. Just wait until the playoffs are over, and you'll see what I mean. You can have a lot of guys worse than Jamal Crawford on your team that's for sure.

Expirings is the about all Crawford is worth. A team isn't going to offer pure capspace or picks for him without GS getting stuck with a bad contract.

Not necessarily so. The entire NBA landscape may change by the time his opt out expires.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice

Return to Trades and Transactions