ATL - Wizard - NJ - Blockbuster trade

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

ATL - Wizard - NJ - Blockbuster trade 

Post#1 » by azuresou1 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:36 pm

Atlanta sends: Joe Johnson, Randolph Morris, #19 pick, #49 pick
Atlanta receives: Nick Young, Yi Jianlian, #5 pick, #11 pick, contracts (Oleg Pecherov, Mike James, Dominic McGuire)

Washington sends: Nick Young, JaVale McGee, contracts (Oleg Pecherov, Mike James, Dominic McGuire), #5 pick
Washington receives: Joe Johnson, #19 pick

NJ sends: Yi Jianlian, #11 pick
NJ receives: JaVale McGee, Randolph Morris, #49 pick

Rationale for Atlanta: JJ is going to want either near max money or walk next year. They're not going to win it all with their current roster, even with some minor retooling. They trade for two high draft picks as well as two young, moderately talented players, and use this upcoming year to build chemistry to make a serious championship run in two-three years.

Rationale for Washington: Their team is a mix of old talent that's on the wrong side of the hill, and a whole bunch of projects, which, as Gilbert says, makes for a hood. If they don't win this upcoming year or the year after that, they'll be a lottery team for a long time. Joe Johnson gives them 4 admittedly old All-Stars along with a solid center for a run this year. If they do well but don't win, then maybe JJ resigns with them because of the promise. The #19 pick can be used to pick up a decent role player or a project, their choice.

Rationale for NJ: Clearly the YJL experiment has failed. Time to move on. JaVale McGee is exactly what the Nets are reportedly trying to draft for: a moose. Unlike any rookie drafted, they have at least seen McGee play for a season, and know that he at the very least won't be a total bust. Why take a risk when you don't have to, and the only thing you'll be sending away is a player that you don't need/want?

Thoughts?
Preludepunk27
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Re: ATL - Wizard - NJ - Blockbuster trade 

Post#2 » by Preludepunk27 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:48 pm

Nets pass every day.

Clearly the YJL experiment has failed? I think that is a wrong choice of words. He showed flashes, then got hurt and wasn't able to get back on track. JaVale McGee is ok, Randolph Morris is weak. You want us to give up Yi (who makes us more money than ANY player in the NBA who doesn't produce on the court) and a lotto pick for 2 projects and a 2nd rounder? I'd rather just keep cashing the large checks we get from China until Yi is officially a bust.

For everyone who puts Yi in a trade, even though us Net fans are disappointed, he's only getting traded if one of these 3 things happen:

1. We get an offer with him in the package that we literally can't refuse
2. Management gives up on him (They haven't yet)
3. He stops making us money

We're about to sign a huge Chinese TV deal in the next month...all due to a guy who hasn't produced much. Again, both seasons he's played fairly well for a guy learning the NBA style of play until injuries derailed him. He needs to focus on his conditioning to handle a full NBA season. He can't get any worse than he is right now in managements eyes, and he's still making us money. If he even becomes a solid 6 man for us, management is drooling over the potential money that could roll in.

p.s. Back to the trade. This would make Atlanta go into, yet again, another rebuilding mode which I would imagine their management will get daily car bombs if they did this. Also, Washington is giving up waaaaaaaaaay too much for a guy who can opt out in 2010. I also don't get why they need him exactly either.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#3 » by nate33 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:02 pm

That's too much for a one-year rental of Joe Johnson. The Wizards decline.

If the Wizards want Johnson, they'll wait until he makes it clear that he'll bolt in free agency, then they'll try to get him cheaply at the trade deadline.
amk482
Senior
And1: 0

Post#4 » by amk482 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:03 pm

why would NJ ever do this deal?
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,070

Post#5 » by tidho » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:05 pm

I can't see Atlanta completely giving up. I think they give Joe Johnson max money and keep him.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#6 » by NetsForce » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:30 pm

Nets Decline. I think McGee is a good prospect but the amount of $$$ Yi brings in is the only reason why I don't want to part with him in this proposed deal...
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#7 » by no D in Hibachi » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:12 pm

NetsForce wrote:Nets Decline. I think McGee is a good prospect but the amount of $$$ Yi brings in is the only reason why I don't want to part with him in this proposed deal...

Yi doesn't bring in jack for the Nets. All merchandise sales are destributed evenly to all teams as part of the revenue sharing agreement in the CBA. No team profits more than another so all of Yi's jersey sales do not strictly benefit New Jersey. Ticket revenues are a completely different feature, but since the Nets have one of the lowest attendences in the NBA it's not like he's helping that much.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#8 » by NetsForce » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:26 pm

Oh so you're telling me that all the Chinese sponsorships the Nets have been getting are because of Eduardo Najera?

Thanks for clearing that up.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#9 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:05 pm

Nets decline every day of the week.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Preludepunk27
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#10 » by Preludepunk27 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:10 pm

no D in Hibachi wrote:
NetsForce wrote:Nets Decline. I think McGee is a good prospect but the amount of $$$ Yi brings in is the only reason why I don't want to part with him in this proposed deal...

Yi doesn't bring in jack for the Nets. All merchandise sales are destributed evenly to all teams as part of the revenue sharing agreement in the CBA. No team profits more than another so all of Yi's jersey sales do not strictly benefit New Jersey. Ticket revenues are a completely different feature, but since the Nets have one of the lowest attendences in the NBA it's not like he's helping that much.

Merchandising and Sponsorship/Advertising are different things in the CBA. A lot of that is all in the Nets pocket. The Nets/Rockets game in Jersey brought in 106 million viewers...that's more than the superbowl this year. He brings in money on top of just his merchandise. The Nets are about to sign a TV deal in china to show all home games at least. We're closing on sponsors/advertisers at the IZOD as well well as new stadium. A lot of that doesn't have to go into the revenue sharing plan.

Return to Trades and Transactions