Rejuvenating the Phoenix Suns...

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

pja123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

Rejuvenating the Phoenix Suns... 

Post#1 » by pja123 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:24 pm

The Suns are a team in flux and they need to inject some youth into their aging roster. I think the only way Amare sticks around is if he knows the team has a bright future (with him as its center piece). In order to achieve this goal, the Suns need to move Nash and O'Neal. Both can still fetch pretty good value on the trade market. Therefore, I propose these moves...

Trade no.1 (between Phoenix & Portland)

Suns get:
Jerryd Bayless
Martell Webster
Joel Pryzbilla
#24 pick in the draft

Blazers get:
Steve Nash
Robin Lopez

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE SUNS:
They get a very promising young PG in Bayless to go with Amare as the team's new inside-outside combo. I think Bayless could bust out if given the chance. Webster is a good shooter, when healthy. Obviously, he had a down year due to injuries but I think he'll bounce back. Pryzbilla gives the Suns a very good defender/shot blocker to help Amare up front.

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE BLAZERS:
Adding Nash would catapult the Blazers to legit contender status. He would help get the most out of Oden, Aldridge and probably assist in elevating Roy to an MVP candidate. He's still that good. Best of all, they actually open up more 2010 cap space to potentially add another superstar and keep Nash. Lopez would be a fine replacement for Pryzbilla as the backup center.

Trade no.2 (between Phoenix & Chicago)

Suns get:
Brad Miller
Jerome James' contract
#16 pick in the draft

Bulls get:
Shaq O'Neal

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE SUNS:
They save money since James' contract is covered by insurance and they get a decent replacement big in Miller. Best of all, they nab another 1st rounder to continue the youth movement.

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE BULLS:
O'Neal gives the Bulls that missing lowpost scoring presence they need. If Deng can come back healthy, the Bulls are a legit threat in the East.

DRAFT:

#14 pick - Earl Clark
why?
He reminds me of Lamar Odom. The guy can do a little bit of everything.

#16 pick - Ty Lawson
why?
He's an ultra-quick PG who could turn into a fantastic backup for Bayless.

#24 pick - Chase Budinger
why?
Budinger is a fan-favorite in Phoenix and could be a useful bench player due to his shooting and versatility.

NEW SUNS ROSTER:
PG-Jerryd Bayless/Ty Lawson/Goran Dragic
SG-Jason Richardson/Leo Barbosa/Alando Tucker
SF-Martell Webster/Chase Budinger/Jared Dudley
PF-Amare Stoudemire/Earl Clark
C-Joel Pryzbilla/Brad Miller

-This team is young, athletic, and bursting with upside. In 2 years, I think this team can be a legit threat in the West. Obviously, the big risk is losing Stoudemire but this team would focus the offense on him so I think he could be kept happy and re-sign next summer.
SportsFan215
Assistant Coach
And1: 60

Re: Rejuvenating the Phoenix Suns... 

Post#2 » by SportsFan215 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:28 pm

Not bad, but I think JRich will be one of the first to go.
Ray Allen Iverson
Starter
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Ray Allen Iverson » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:42 pm

Chicago won't give up their 1st-round pick for paying or O'Neal 21m$. Bulls pass.

CHI bias:

Leto wrote:It doesn't matter what the Tornto front office wants. We don't need to take Hedo to get both [James and Bosh]

NYK bias:

drj wrote:I think Rubio isn't worth very much more than Jordan Hill.
Padawan
Junior
And1: 2

Post#4 » by Padawan » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:46 pm

Not bad but that's not a playoff team though. Would Amar'e stay with this team? Why wouldn't you trade Jason Richardson since you're blowing it up?

Just on a personal note, i wouldn't do the Shaq trade if i'm Chicago. Chicago needs to get someone who can be there 4/5 years with Rose, Deng, Noah and whoever stays there.

Still, good job.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#5 » by Village Idiot » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:00 pm

I don't see Portland making that trade. The price is too high
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Slackerr
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by Slackerr » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:13 pm

Chicago isn't giving up that Jerome James contract unless it's for something good. Adding the pick doesn't make it look much more appealing to Chicago either. Chicago says no.
pja123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

Post#7 » by pja123 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:58 pm

I'm surprised Bulls fans are so attached to the #16 pick considering the Bulls have one of the youngest rosters in the league. Do they really need another young prospect who may not contribute for 2-3 years? I think ownership wants to make a step forward and advance in the playoffs. Adding a legit low post scoring presence would help in that endeavor.
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#8 » by Leto » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:02 pm

pja123 wrote:I'm surprised Bulls fans are so attached to the #16 pick considering the Bulls have one of the youngest rosters in the league. Do they really need another young prospect who may not contribute for 2-3 years? I think ownership wants to make a step forward and advance in the playoffs. Adding a legit low post scoring presence would help in that endeavor.

Sure, if it's for more than one season. That's not happening with Shaq and he also can't defens P&R anymore. No from Chicago.

As an aside, you aren't going to get anything for Shaq or Nash. They're too old. If you could, Phoenix would not ever consider trading Amare.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#9 » by Trader_Joe » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:05 pm

Leto wrote:
pja123 wrote:I'm surprised Bulls fans are so attached to the #16 pick considering the Bulls have one of the youngest rosters in the league. Do they really need another young prospect who may not contribute for 2-3 years? I think ownership wants to make a step forward and advance in the playoffs. Adding a legit low post scoring presence would help in that endeavor.

Sure, if it's for more than one season. That's not happening with Shaq and he also can't defens P&R anymore. No from Chicago.

As an aside, you aren't going to get anything for Shaq or Nash. They're too old. If you could, Phoenix would not ever consider trading Amare.

I disagree. As long as Nash and O'Neal keep playing they have value. 2 HOF players, NBA icons, expiring contracts and still productive players. O'Neal was a beast the 2nd part of the season and Nash is a well conditioned and smart enough player to have a few good more years in him. Their on-court production and off the court marketing make them valuable.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#10 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:11 pm

I'll echo the previous Blazer poster: that is way too much to give up for Nash and Lopez. Not even close.
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#11 » by Leto » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:15 pm

They *might* have value to a team looking to get over the hump like Cleveland/Boston and maybe even Washington. In fact, it's already known the Cavs want Shaq and he definitely would have more value to the Cavs than the Bulls, for example. Even so, the Cavs don't want to add anything of value and would not even send West at the deadline. That should clue you in as to the value of Shaq. Having said that, he would have even lss value to a team like the Bulls.
mikero
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#12 » by mikero » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:18 pm

Both seem like fair trades (unlike other phoenix deals i have seen).

Nash would instantly make Portland a championship contender.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#13 » by Trader_Joe » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:22 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:I'll echo the previous Blazer poster: that is way too much to give up for Nash and Lopez. Not even close.

I would rework it to:

Suns get:
Jerryd Bayless
Martell Webster
#24 pick in the draft
2nd rounder(s)

Blazers get:
Steve Nash
G.Hill (s+t)

Or something along those lines. Portland instantly has two savvy veterans and their 2 weakest positions. Though if I'm Phoenix I want Fernandez in a trade for Nash, instead of Bayless, #24 and 2nd rounder(s)
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#14 » by NashtyNas » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:31 pm

Nash/Blake/Rodriguez
Roy/Fernandez/Rodriguez
Hill/Batum/Outlaw
LMA/Outlaw/Frye
Oden/Pryz/Frye

That team is a solid 2nd or 3rd seed going to the Conf Finals, only if you guys had a coach competent enough to run a RUN&GUN offense that would best suit your personnel (even without this trade, you guys should be running a lot). Imagine Nash handling the Break with Roy coming off screens, Hill slashing, Aldrige spreading the floor, and Oden down low. This is like the suns right now, except much younger and competent to run, and not as much athleticism from the PF but much more skill from the SG. PERFECT TEAM IMO...

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
qclakers
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#15 » by qclakers » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:54 pm

I don't like it at all for PHX. The op said this was to energize PHX. This would bring them down. They trade their starting center and center prospect for two backups. Not really in line with the direction they should be heading. Then they get a bunch of backups for Nash. If Bayless is so good why doesn't he play a whole lot in POR? A team that everyone says needs a PG? He is a tweener and the Suns already have that in Barbosa. Webster is ok but was injured and has a long deal. The #16 and #24 are picks that may net a solid player but not someone who can contribute right away. This team will be cause the Suns to have a very good lottery pick next year. The sucky part is that it will be going to OKC.
NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#16 » by NBAMAN2006 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:37 am

Joel must stay as until Oden proves he can stay in the game.

And Lopez isnt a adequate backup. And his name is Robin.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#17 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:42 am

sd1306 wrote:Nash/Blake/Rodriguez
Roy/Fernandez/Rodriguez
Hill/Batum/Outlaw
LMA/Outlaw/Frye
Oden/Pryz/Frye

That team is a solid 2nd or 3rd seed going to the Conf Finals, only if you guys had a coach competent enough to run a RUN&GUN offense that would best suit your personnel (even without this trade, you guys should be running a lot). Imagine Nash handling the Break with Roy coming off screens, Hill slashing, Aldrige spreading the floor, and Oden down low. This is like the suns right now, except much younger and competent to run, and not as much athleticism from the PF but much more skill from the SG. PERFECT TEAM IMO...

Aldridge & Outlaw aren't athletic???
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
cingular
Senior

Post#18 » by cingular » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:54 am

I don't think Big Snax contract is gonna be paid by insurance.

You are taking the ball out of B Roys hands alot more as well and now have a bigger defensive liability at PG while giving away a nice young part of your core.

What is Nash's value with his current contract and possible future intentions (NY or Toronto) really worth?

Nash would def help maximize Oden and Aldridge potential that's for sure and that makes it probably worth it.

I would think a Shaq deal to Cleveland that can get the same expirings plus a Hickson would be fantastic..... or just buy some late 1sts for a change....

Return to Trades and Transactions