Another Attempt to trade Rubio - MEM / WASH / MIN

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Another Attempt to trade Rubio - MEM / WASH / MIN 

Post#1 » by theatlfan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:29 pm

WASH:
Out: Mike James, DeShawn Stevenson, Blatche, #5
In: Mike Miller, Randy Foye, Buckner, #36

Why?
Accomplishes stated goal of using the #5 pick to get better immediately with a veteran while helping out their cap situation. Buckner's contract is not fully guaranteed and can be bought out cheaply. Miller becomes the long range bomber to spread the floor for Butler / Arenas / Jamison. Foye becomes the instant O 6th man. #36 is just another asset - I'll guess Claver.

Lineup:
PG: Arenas / Foye* / Crittenton
Wings: Butler / Miller* / Young / Claver*
Bigs: Haywood / Jamison / McGee / Songaila / Thomas

MEM:
Out: #2, #27, #36, Greg Buckner
In: #5, #6, Blatche

Why?
Uses up their entire draft to get the Athletic PF they crave in Blatche and collect 2 top 6 picks to remake their roster. I'm guessing they go with Thabeet and Evans - although there could be many permutations here. With expirings in Darko and some cap room, MEM could continue to remake the roster even after this deal.

Lineup:
PG: Conley / (Mayo) / Jaric
Wings: Mayo / Gay / Evans* / Warrick
Bigs: Gasol / Blatche* / Thabeet* / Arthur / Darko

MIN:
Out: Mike Miller, Randy Foye, #6
In: #2, #27, Mike James, DeShawn Stevenson

Why?
MIN is clearly looking to snag Rubio and is rumored to be trying to pry #5 off of WASH to get that done. MIN wants a star to pair with Jefferson to bring in the new regime. With #18 (guessing Daye), #27 (Thornton), and #28 (Gibson), MIN has plenty of late 1sts to remake their roster around their new stars.

PG: Rubio* / Telfair / Ollie
Wings: Daye* / Carney / Brewer / Gomes / Thornton*
Bigs: Jefferson / Love / Gibson* / Collins / Cardinal
pumuki
Sophomore
And1: 18

Re: Another Attempt to trade Rubio - MEM / WASH / MIN 

Post#2 » by pumuki » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:43 pm

I´d do it if I were Memphis... Not sure about WAS though
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#3 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:51 pm

MN and Wash both get squeezed by Memphis, pass for both
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,351

Post#4 » by nate33 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:36 pm

Washington passes easily. Blatche is better than Foye and the Wizards aren't trading the #5 pick for a one-year rental of Mike Miller.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,142

Post#5 » by GopherIt! » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:59 pm

^We definitely disagree on the Blatche-Foye comparison. I wouldn't trade Foye for Blatche from MN's perspective. No need for either player to be in this discussion.

Getting back to the OP's idea,

That's way too much for MN to give up for either Curry or Evans.

I could see Foye for Curry or Evans (i.e. #5) straight up and even that is still risky. I'm not completely convinced that either of those guys will become better pros than Foye. Curry can't take it inside will be a defensive liability while Evans J needs to be rebuilt. Randy, on the other hand, can take it to the hole and hit from the outside and isn't a complete liability on d. He is already a quality player and could very well be headed for a break out season.

Needing to take on James and/or Thomas forces Foye out of the equation in my book.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#6 » by shrink » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:24 pm

nate33 wrote:Washington passes easily. Blatche is better than Foye and the Wizards aren't trading the #5 pick for a one-year rental of Mike Miller.

I don't even like Foye that much, but let us know when we see Blatche outperform him.

So for MIN to go from the #6 to the #2, they have to include Mike Miller, and Randy Foye, and lose $4 mil of 2010 cap space with DeShawn Stevenson? Nope.

The problem here is that some people in WAS still think Blatche has the value/potential that he had last year. If you don't show you can grow, you lose trade value as a prospect. I think you might have better luck with this trade if WAS kept Stevenson and Blatche -- they'd be more likely to keep the hope alive on the guy since they picked him.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#7 » by Benjammin » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:05 am

shrink wrote:
nate33 wrote:Washington passes easily. Blatche is better than Foye and the Wizards aren't trading the #5 pick for a one-year rental of Mike Miller.

I don't even like Foye that much, but let us know when we see Blatche outperform him.

So for MIN to go from the #6 to the #2, they have to include Mike Miller, and Randy Foye, and lose $4 mil of 2010 cap space with DeShawn Stevenson? Nope.

The problem here is that some people in WAS still think Blatche has the value/potential that he had last year. If you don't show you can grow, you lose trade value as a prospect. I think you might have better luck with this trade if WAS kept Stevenson and Blatche -- they'd be more likely to keep the hope alive on the guy since they picked him.

Let's see, Blatche's PER the last two years were 15.5 and 15.0. He will be 23 in August. He plays PF and C. Randy Foye will be 26 in September, with PER of 12.7 and 13.7 the last two years. There will be the argument that Foye played 35 minutes a game versus Dray's 24 minutes. Blatche is paid less and is locked up for a longer time. Blatche plays a position where average guys get 5-6 million a year without a second thought. Foye is a tweener guard who does have talent handling the ball but is not a good shooter. I think this is a case where fans will prefer the player they know better. I suspect that an objective observer would believe that Blatche has more trade value because of his still young age, playing at a more efficient level, and playing the harder position to fill.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#8 » by john2jer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:55 am

Wolves pass.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,351

Post#9 » by nate33 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:18 am

Benjammin wrote:
shrink wrote:

Let's see, Blatche's PER the last two years were 15.5 and 15.0. He will be 23 in August. He plays PF and C. Randy Foye will be 26 in September, with PER of 12.7 and 13.7 the last two years. There will be the argument that Foye played 35 minutes a game versus Dray's 24 minutes. Blatche is paid less and is locked up for a longer time. Blatche plays a position where average guys get 5-6 million a year without a second thought. Foye is a tweener guard who does have talent handling the ball but is not a good shooter. I think this is a case where fans will prefer the player they know better. I suspect that an objective observer would believe that Blatche has more trade value because of his still young age, playing at a more efficient level, and playing the harder position to fill.

Thanks, Benjammin. You summarized it perfectly.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#10 » by shrink » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:34 am

I was going to let this go, but let me say that Foye's EFF is better, as are most other stats, and Foye may be mercurial, but he actually has a work ethic.

People have been propping up Blatche's value for a while, and I've stood with them until this last year. I think despite some good physical skills, he simply isn't going to become a legit starter because he just doesn't have a head on his shoulders, or the heart, to ever capitalize on his athleticism. Haywood and an impressive McGee will take his minutes, and the Wizards didn't pay team-leader Antawn Jamison all that money for that guy to ride the bench. I just don't see where Blatche's value is coming from.

Return to Trades and Transactions