Joe Johnson and Rubio to the Wolves!

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

N.O.R.E.
RealGM
And1: 240

Joe Johnson and Rubio to the Wolves! 

Post#1 » by N.O.R.E. » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:46 pm

Hawks Trade: JJ
Receive: Rudy Gay, #5 - Harden, C. Smith, Buckner (cheap buy-out), large TE

The Hawks get 2 pieces to fit with the young core, and then chase Sessions or BG in free agency. Josh Smith would be the only player on the roster with a large contract, and Marv could be used in a S&T for depth up front and in the back-court.

Wolves Trade: Love, #5, #6, C. Smith, B. Cardinal, Madsen
Receive: JJ, Rubio

Gortat (MLE)/Etan
Al/Gomes
Brewer/Carney
JJ/#18
Rubio/Telfair/B.Brown

The Wolves complete their core by acquiring JJ and Rubio to team up with Big Al.

Grizz Trade: Rubio, Gay, Buckner
Receive: Love, #6 - Thabeet, Cardinal

M.Gasol/Thabeet/Haddadi
Love/D.Arthur
FA/?
Mayo/?
Conley/?

The Grizz get a semi-proven starting 4 and get the player they're targeting in the draft. If the Thunder are serious about Curry, I see Thabeet slipping all the way to the #6 slot, especially in this scenario where the Hawks land the #5.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Re: Joe Johnson and Rubio to the Wolves! 

Post#2 » by jowglenn » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:49 pm

Actually I don't mind the Memphis part of the deal, where it's basically Love+6 for Gay+2. that's fair value for both sides if it's a straight up deal.

then they're basically sending Gay+5+Smith for Joe Johnson. Good deal for Minnesota, not sure for Atlanta. Where they gonna play Gay? behind Marvin Williams? at shooting Guard? I don't really know if Atlanta likes anyone at 5 enough to move Joe Johnson. if the guy they love is there, I could see this happening, but it would have to be a serious man-crush on someone for them to consider
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,732

Post#3 » by DowJones » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:49 pm

Bad trade for Memphis. I can see trading the #2 for Love, but Gay for #6 is poor.
qclakers
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#4 » by qclakers » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:50 pm

Too risky for MIn too give that up and then lose JJ in FA next year. Extended than of course they do it.
lunarblues
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#5 » by lunarblues » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:50 pm

that trade really hurts the grizzlies. gay is their best player and the player at the 6th spot won't make up for the hole. with memphis having trouble signing free agents, i don't see them getting a replacement for gay.

as for the hawks. that trade takes them out of the playoffs and i'm sure the owners aren't trying to see the lottery for the number 6 pick in this draft.

that's a ridiculously good trade for minnesota, i don't see the other teams biting.
Winter Wonder
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Winter Wonder » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:51 pm

I like Joe Johnson alot, but think MN is overpaying and that Atlanta makes out like bandits. Memphis ends up about even in trade value. You also have some time contraint issues due to Cardinal going back to a team he was traded from less than a year ago.

Interesting idea, like the players involved, but really don't like the pricetag for MN.
N.O.R.E.
RealGM
And1: 240

Post#7 » by N.O.R.E. » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:22 pm

bump

Return to Trades and Transactions