Is this fair? Mem/Bos/Chi/Por

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Jon Niednagel
Sophomore
And1: 2

Is this fair? Mem/Bos/Chi/Por 

Post#1 » by Jon Niednagel » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:38 pm

Memphis trades Rudy Gay and #2
Receives Tyrus Thomas, Jerryd Bayless, #16, and #22

It is basically two firsts, Jerryd Bayless, and Tyrus for Rudy and the #2. I think Tyrus fits the Grizz better than Gay. Both are up for an extension so the money is a wash, and they get two first-round picks. They could package their wealth of picks to move back into the lottery for someone they like, get rid of a contract they don't, or use them all to help round out their roster.

Boston trades Rondo, Ray Allen, and Bill Walker
Receives Kirk Hinrich, Luol Deng, and Rudy Fernandez

So many Ray/Rondo rumors now that it seems inevitable they will be traded. The Cs still need to win now with PP and KG on the roster. This allows them to remain competitive, get younger (without getting too young), and adds depth. They initially downgrade some at the starting guard positions next year, but Deng makes them a much deeper team.

Chicago trades Kirk Hinrich, Luol Deng, Tyrus, and #16
Receives Rudy Gay, Ray Allen, Bill Walker, #2, and #33

Chicago has as many rumors involving Kirk, Deng, and Tyrus as the Cs have with Ray and Rondo. Apparently they want to clear cap space to re-sign Gordon and to afford a big to pair with Rose for the future. This trade gives them plenty of cap space, a young stud to replace Tyrus, an allstar shooting guard, a nice small forward prospect, the second pick in the draft, and an early second rounder. In other words, it opens up unlimited possibilities for them without downgrading the current roster much.

Portland gives Rudy Fernandez, Jerryd Bayless, #22, and #33
Receives Rondo

Portland finally gets the final piece, a point guard to pull everything together. They do so without giving up any of their core guys.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Re: Is this fair? Mem/Bos/Chi/Por 

Post#2 » by loserX » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:40 pm

Don't like it for Memphis. Gay is worth more than Thomas, and I can't imagine picks in those positions will convince the Griz to drop from #2.
Malapropism
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,411

Post#3 » by Malapropism » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:40 pm

Does Memphis get raped? Or does Memphis get raped?
Jon Niednagel
Sophomore

Post#4 » by Jon Niednagel » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:47 pm

I can see points about Memphis not being as clear of a winner, but I think Tyrus is a significantly better fit for them than Rudy. Tyrus is less of a volume shooter and plays significantly better defense while adding more toughness (all things the Grizz need). I could see more going the Grizz's way though. Maybe Boston gives them some expiring contracts for Jaric/Buckner? future firsts? Something more coming from Portland? What do you think would be fair?
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#5 » by Spykes » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:51 pm

Portland takes this and runs before anyone notices that they got away with highway robbery.
Jon Niednagel
Sophomore

Post#6 » by Jon Niednagel » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:10 pm

Revised to include J. Bayless going to Memphis.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#7 » by Spykes » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:15 pm

I'd still make the trade. You might want to update the picks leaving Portland tho. They've traded the 24 for the 22.
Jon Niednagel
Sophomore

Post#8 » by Jon Niednagel » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:18 pm

Thanks for the update Spykes.
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#9 » by Agenda42 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:53 pm

I feel like Boston is getting completely crushed here. Luol Deng has stress fracture issues and a scary contract.

I think the Memphis deal is interesting but there's no way their fan base goes for it. They loooove Rudy.
qclakers
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#10 » by qclakers » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:59 pm

I dont get BOS wanting an expensive Deng to back up Pierce at the 3? You say CHI gets a young stud for TT but now CHI has no PF? Who does CHI want with the #2? Of course POR says yes, but overall this seems kind of discombobulated. I dont think anybody does this but POR. The value is not terrible but the fit is screwy.
Jon Niednagel
Sophomore

Post#11 » by Jon Niednagel » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:40 pm

qclakers wrote:I dont get BOS wanting an expensive Deng to back up Pierce at the 3? You say CHI gets a young stud for TT but now CHI has no PF? Who does CHI want with the #2? Of course POR says yes, but overall this seems kind of discombobulated. I dont think anybody does this but POR. The value is not terrible but the fit is screwy.

The trade is meant to solve problems for the teams involved, but not solve every problem. The Bulls now have the #2, cap space, and other pieces to land the powerforward they would want in a subsequent move. The Cs have to make a subsequent move as well. Deng is expensive, but stress fractures are not career threatening in any way and he is not that injury prone. He is a good player when healthy and would add a lot of depth to the Cs. Plus, he could be the successor to Pierce in a year or two. There is plenty of minutes to go around with Pirce being able to play some at the two and Deng being able to play some at the four. I don't view the money, health, or minutes as a big deal or a barrier.
JordanL
Sixth Man
And1: 267

Post#12 » by JordanL » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:56 pm

I defy a single Portland fan to say no to this trade.
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#13 » by boogydown » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:58 pm

Where do the Bulls sign?

Why does Chicago need the #2 though? Who would they draft. The trade doesn't make sense but if I am Chicago I'd offer Deng + Tyrus for Gay + Fillers
Daddy Forest
Junior
And1: 7

Post#14 » by Daddy Forest » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:01 am

i think Chicago gets the best end of this...then Portland....everyone else.......mwahahahaha
get raped!
BALL DON'T LIE.
Daddy Forest
Junior
And1: 7

Post#15 » by Daddy Forest » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:05 am

oh and Chicago could just go ahead and take Thabeet with the number 2, and Thabeet would play center and Noah could take over at starting PF. Problem SOLVED
5 Thabeet
4 Noah
3 Gay
2 Allen
1 Rose
BALL DON'T LIE.
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#16 » by Fitz303 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:11 am

Take Rudy Gay out of the deal and I think its closer to fair all around
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#17 » by jefe » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:13 am

Maybe the Grizz can add Mayo and get a terrible contract in return, too?
Jimmy103
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#18 » by Jimmy103 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:19 am

I'd enjoy Rudy Fernandez replacing Ray Allen, but I don't like that package at all.

Return to Trades and Transactions