Lakers Point Guard Situation

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

daddyfivestar
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Lakers Point Guard Situation 

Post#21 » by daddyfivestar » Sat Jul 4, 2009 4:11 am

shagadelic45 wrote:you left out walton and yue from the "available trade" list

As long as Phil is coach Walton will remain a Laker much to most Laker fans groans. I was just being realistic from that perspective as well as the fact on realgm, his contract is poison. Actual GMs may value his contribution but the hacks here think no way Jose.

Yue, he's not on the LA summer team, so unless China has a team in the summer league again to show his wares, he's probably out of the NBA. Maybe in NJ so Yi will have a friend?
daddyfivestar
Banned User

Post#22 » by daddyfivestar » Sat Jul 4, 2009 4:15 am

What is the Sarver financial stance in Phoenix? Is all ok now.

And I mean a totally unfair, all of realgm (except LAL fans) collectively puke again, how do the Lakers keep doing that for the last 40 years, type of deal...

But only if Sarver is dead set on not being in lux tax land.

edit- I also like the Bell one. I proposed that recently on the Bucks board to pretty good response.
He Filled it Up
Veteran
And1: 1,439

Post#23 » by He Filled it Up » Sat Jul 4, 2009 4:18 am

RingtheBell wrote:
eagles nut wrote:Bell for Morrison straight up doesn't work but it does if you add Salim Stoudamire. But I would think the Bucks would have to add a draft pick or some cash in the deal becaue Bell's deal has 2 more years after this one.

Yeah I really think a deal would be solid but Skiles has a man crush on Bell so who knows.

Wonder why....
Count that baby and a foul!
daddyfivestar
Banned User

Post#24 » by daddyfivestar » Sat Jul 4, 2009 4:22 am

3-way

Morrison + 2nd to Milwaukee
Farmar + 2nd to Memphis
Bell + TPE to LA

LA gets a better fitting PG who can take over for Fisher next yr with Brown and saves some salary to resign Odom

Mil cuts long term salary with Ammo's expiring

Mem gets a b/u PG for only 1.95 of their capspace, much less than AI would take and less headache
daddyfivestar
Banned User

Post#25 » by daddyfivestar » Sat Jul 4, 2009 4:23 am

To the posters who obviously didn't read Page 1 - the first sentence of this thread was After LA resigns Odom....
deviljets7
Lead Assistant
And1: 24

Post#26 » by deviljets7 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 4:24 am

daddyfivestar wrote:LA needs one more piece after they resign Odom... a PG to go with Fisher and take over next year when he retires: Here are the pieces, or combination of pieces. LA can take on a player under multi-year deal if necessary.

Player/$$ 2010/term
Farmar/1.95/rookie expire or extend
Morrison/5.26/2010
Vujacic/5.00/2011
Powell/0.96/2010
Mbenga/0.96/2010
Elonu/none yet/rights
2nd rd 2010 Memphis
2nd rd 2010 LA
2nd rd 2011 NY
2nd rd 2011 Charlotte
2nd rd 2011 LA

Anyone?

I can't see you getting a long-term replacement for Fisher with those assets. A cheap veteran is another story.

Rafer Alston for Ammo, 2010 Memphis #2 and LAL 2011 #2.

or

Keyon Dooling and Eduardo Najera for Ammo and 2010 Memphis #2.
enetric wrote:You have the perfect fat% to sit on your butt, eat crap and WATCH someone else do it though. Hell, at that body fat% you might be a starter.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#27 » by Jajwanda » Sat Jul 4, 2009 4:36 am

Dooling vs. Bell now that's an interesting one. Seriously it's worth a debate.

Bell's salary if he's playing major minutes is not unreasonable. 3-4m for a next year starting PG who plays the role you want, I don't think that's absurd at all.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,788

Post#28 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jul 4, 2009 4:44 am

Jajwanda wrote:Dooling vs. Bell now that's an interesting one. Seriously it's worth a debate.

Bell's salary if he's playing major minutes is not unreasonable. 3-4m for a next year starting PG who plays the role you want, I don't think that's absurd at all.

I guess it really depends what you want from a guard. Alston is definilty the flashier, more true point guard where as Bell is more of a combo guard. Both will provide streaky three point shooting. I'd give the edge to Bell on defense as he can guard quicker point guards and bigger guards. With health concern and contract into play Alston might be the safer choice. You could take this year into play and say you save some salary with Bell but the next two years you'd be looking at around $8 million for Bell when looking at the luxury tax. You'd have to think if there would be a better choice or you could resign Alston for cheaper then that in 2010 as well though. Its a tough choice.

Edit - I just wrote that whole thing to realise it was Dooling, I'm an idiot.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Jajwanda
General Manager

Post#29 » by Jajwanda » Sat Jul 4, 2009 4:47 am

LMAO it's alright.

Also you have to admit though that Bell would replace what Farmar would make if we were to re-sign him. 6-7m for our PG combo is nothing incredible next year. It's well within reason.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,788

Post#30 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jul 4, 2009 4:58 am

If its Dooling you REALLY have to consider Najera's contract IMO. You'd be paying around $13 million with the luxury tax for those two players compared to the $7 or 8 million for Bell. Can subtract Farmars deal as well if you want. Also, I'm not sure if the last two year of Najera's deal are guaranteed. Like I believe its $2.5 million for the second to last year and $2 million for the last? but are both of those guaranteed or only the year he's cut? Either way even with Dooling's one less year you'd be paying more I believe.

As a player comparison I'd say it's fairly even. Dooling may have a edge on shooting (42% last season but before that averaged about 30%, not sure whats going on there) but I think Bell has the edge on defense for the fact that he can guard the big guards (he can guard up to small forward size - 6'6-6'7 with relative ease) but Dooling is no slouch on defense either.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Jajwanda
General Manager

Post#31 » by Jajwanda » Sat Jul 4, 2009 5:06 am

Alston I worry is just so streaky that without Bell's defense he'll become a problem for the team over time and also he has a bigger mouth.

I think the Morrison deal probably has a good chance.
pumuki
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#32 » by pumuki » Sat Jul 4, 2009 7:25 am

daddyfivestar wrote:3-way

Morrison + 2nd to Milwaukee
Farmar + 2nd to Memphis
Bell + TPE to LA

LA gets a better fitting PG who can take over for Fisher next yr with Brown and saves some salary to resign Odom

Mil cuts long term salary with Ammo's expiring

Mem gets a b/u PG for only 1.95 of their capspace, much less than AI would take and less headache

I like it for all teams
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#33 » by RTM » Sat Jul 4, 2009 7:34 am

VintaGe36 wrote:Shannon Brown?

Yup, that's what I think. Give him a reasonable 2-3 year deal and LA is good to go.
Crimson King
Pro Prospect
And1: 31

Post#34 » by Crimson King » Sat Jul 4, 2009 7:44 am

Jarrett Jack would be perfect, but I don't see anything of value to do a sign&trade with the Pacers.
daddyfivestar
Banned User

Post#35 » by daddyfivestar » Sat Jul 4, 2009 9:34 am

The need is really just hitting your open looks (ie 38-40% from 3) and playing tough m2m D against the quick PGs in tandem with the Laker team D strategy (that whole pinch them into a 3rd of the court thing and don't let them drive out of it)...

^ why would IND want to move Jack though, seems he's beaten out TJ and Diener permanently.

^ my original question on Sarver/PHX, was about Barbosa and his long term deal?
otbotb
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#36 » by otbotb » Sat Jul 4, 2009 10:09 am

What about Chris Duhon. I think he would be a good point guard for the lakers.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#37 » by WiscoKing13 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:40 pm

eagles nut wrote:There is a vague, unconfirmed rumor that the Lakers and Bucks are talking trades. Bucks wanting ending contracts. Lakers fans are hoping for Ramon Sessions but there's no reason for Milwaukee to do that.

do you have a link to the source
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
4peter64
Freshman

Post#38 » by 4peter64 » Tue Jul 7, 2009 5:12 am

Very interesting debate. Valid points on Dooling and Bell. In general, would pass on Dooling because he seems injury-prone. There may be another Buck that LAL also could use -- Keith Bogans. Decent ball handler, low t/o ratio, can shoot the three and plays tough defense. It is unclear if Mil has fully renounced its rights to Bogans. If not, they need to make this trade if they want Session; I think he is a major cap hold for Mil. If LAL get Bogans @ the vet's min (instead of Salim) as well as Bell for Ammo, then there is the true makings of a deal. LA could include Farmar if Mil sends Meeks, but Meeks is not needed if MIl wants Farmar.

The resulting bench depth for LA would be Fisher, Brown and Bell at PG (Meeks possibly)
and Kobe, Sasha and Bogans at SG with Artest taking some of these minutes and Bogans playing some 3 as well. Bell and Bogans are less salary than Ammo, let alone Ammo and Farmar. LA is now deeper at less salary, while Mil has the relief for Sessions, future salary savings and a more useful mix of players.
4peter64
Freshman

Post#39 » by 4peter64 » Tue Jul 7, 2009 5:18 am

Very interesting debate. Valid points on Dooling and Bell. In general, would pass on Dooling because he seems injury-prone. There may be another Buck that LAL also could use -- Keith Bogans. Decent ball handler, low t/o ratio, can shoot the three and plays tough defense. It is unclear if Mil has fully renounced its rights to Bogans. If not, they need to make this trade if they want Session; I think he is a major cap hold for Mil. If LAL get Bogans @ the vet's min (instead of Salim) as well as Bell for Ammo, then there is the true makings of a deal. LA could include Farmar if Mil sends Meeks, but Meeks is not needed if MIl wants Farmar.

The resulting bench depth for LA would be Fisher, Brown and Bell at PG (Meeks possibly)
and Kobe, Sasha and Bogans at SG with Artest taking some of these minutes and Bogans playing some 3 as well. Bell and Bogans are less salary than Ammo, let alone Ammo and Farmar. LA is now deeper at less salary, while Mil has the relief for Sessions, future salary savings and a more useful mix of players.
Jajwanda
General Manager

Post#40 » by Jajwanda » Tue Jul 7, 2009 7:43 am

Alston would seem to be the most feasible option considering Bell's 1.2m trade kicker.

Alston followed by a Farmar trade for a pick would be an idea and it would save 3.8m. A guy who I think can still play but is up there in years (without attitude though and from what I remember was a team guy without a ring) is Bobby Jackson. He was still fairly solid this year for Sacramento with their porous interior defense. With the decent shot-blocking the Lakers enjoy I think Jackson would be a good veteran to have as your third-string PG overall. He was always a good fit for the triangle.

For the veteran's minimum you'd save close to 2m including luxury tax over Farmar. Following that you still have Adam Morrison's deal to play around with to see if you can find a way to save long-term cash and correct your books.

Return to Trades and Transactions