Boozer Blockbuster (Utah/Por/Minn/NJ)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

LOOSH
Rookie
And1: 53

Boozer Blockbuster (Utah/Por/Minn/NJ) 

Post#1 » by LOOSH » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:31 pm

NOTE: This deal is contingent on Rubio coming over to play with Minnesota

Portland sends: Rudy Fernandez, Jerryd Bayless, Travis Outlaw, 1st Rd pick
Portland receives: Devin Harris, Wayne Ellington, Eduardo Najera

Minnesota sends: Johnny Flynn, Wayne Ellington
Minnesota receives: Rudy Fernandez, Jerryd Bayless

NJ sends: Devin Harris, Eduardo Najera, Josh Boone
NJ receives: Carlos Boozer, Johnny Flynn, 1st Rd pick (Por)

Utah sends: Carlos Boozer
Utah receives: Travis Outlaw, Josh Boone

Analysis

Portland facilitates the Boozer trade and gets the PG they've been looking for in Harris who upgrades their perimeter D and takes some of the offensive burden off Roy. They also pick up a role player in Ellington to add depth and eat Najera's deal.

Minnesota brings in their SG of the future, Fernandez, who conveniently is one of Rubio best friends and longtime teammates and adds an instant offense guard in Bayless who can play a Ben Gordon type role off the bench. This is good for Minnesota because they add young talent, while balancing their roster and maintaining their anticipated cap room.

NJ trades the dynamic Harris, but add another young stud PG in Flynn (also a NY native) and the post presence and rebounder they sorely need in Boozer, who would be perfectly complimented by Brook Lopez. They also add a 1st rounder from Portland and dump Najera and Boone's contracts. Resigning Boozer would clearly be critical here, but NJ is a great fit and they'd pick up his Bird Rights.

Utah saves around $15M, picks up an instant offense 3/4 in Outlaw and a Sloan type dirty work guy in Boone -- both contracts are expiring BTW.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,643

Re: Boozer Blockbuster (Utah/Por/Minn/NJ) 

Post#2 » by shrink » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm

For MIN, I'm not sure I'd do it, but I think your argument and valuation are both very fair.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#3 » by NetsForce » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:39 pm

I see the logic in it... Even though I don't get the Flynn hype / want to wait until he actually plays a NBA game before pulling the trigger on a deal for him but...

And this is my problem with any Boozer trade for the Nets. If the Nets trade for Boozer I'm not sure they'd be able to retain him in free agency unless they decide to massively overpay him... So that right there is my main concern is giving up Harris who is on a VERY reasonable contract right now for Carlos.
LOOSH
Rookie

Post#4 » by LOOSH » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:07 am

Definitely a valid concern -- if the Nets did this trade, they'd certainly have to be fully committed to re-signing him. I don't think they'd have to massively overpay him, but they'd certainly have give him comparable money to what he is making now.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#5 » by CAE15 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:15 am

If boozer and some pieces can land harris then hell lets just deal for him ourselves. Run Deron,Harris,Brewer,Millsap,Okur im down.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#6 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:19 am

I'm going to say no thanks for sure.
Flynn looks as though he might be pretty good, but I'm not entirely sold on him and although everyone seems to like lowballing Utah on this board for Boozer, no need for Harris to have to be involved, although I also understand Flynn is coming back.

I agree with NetsForce on this, both on Flynn and the salary concerns.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Preludepunk27
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#7 » by Preludepunk27 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:20 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:I'm going to say no thanks for sure.
Flynn looks as though he might be pretty good, but I'm not entirely sold on him and although everyone seems to like lowballing Utah on this board for Boozer, no need for Harris to have to be involved, although I also understand Flynn is coming back.

I agree with NetsForce on this, both on Flynn and the salary concerns.

+1 to NetsForce and VC4P
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#8 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:32 am

Nets respectfully decline.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#9 » by Agenda42 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:32 am

This is an interesting deal for Portland. It costs a lot, but you have to give something to get something, and Harris is a stud.

I'm not sure how Flynn turns into Rudy and Bayless. I like Flynn plenty, but I don't think Ellington is a factor and I don't think Flynn is as valuable as both guys.

I don't really think this is a good plan for the Nets. If they stand pat they have huge capspace and a Harris/Lopez pairing to attract free agents with. I think this move weakens their 2010 position.
deviljets7
Lead Assistant
And1: 24

Post#10 » by deviljets7 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:42 am

I like Flynn, but him and a POR 1st round pick for Harris is a deal NJ declines.

The Boozer part is excellent value, but why go after a free-agent to be PF when you're nowhere close to contending?

After this deal NJ is still a lottery team and now instead of having your star player locked up in a bargain deal, you have a star who can bolt in the summer.
enetric wrote:You have the perfect fat% to sit on your butt, eat crap and WATCH someone else do it though. Hell, at that body fat% you might be a starter.
LOOSH
Rookie

Post#11 » by LOOSH » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:03 am

Well, your'e getting more than just Flynn and a 1 -- you're getting cap relief by unloading Najera and Boone along with Boozer and his Bird Rights, which give you leverage in re-signing him.

I understand the concerns though, but I also think this lineup could make a playoff push in the East:

G - Flynn, Alson
G - Lee, CDR, Dooling
SF - T. Williams, Hayes, Simmons, Hassell
PF - Boozer, Yi
C - Lopez, Battie, S. Williams
deviljets7
Lead Assistant
And1: 24

Post#12 » by deviljets7 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:25 am

LOOSH wrote:Well, your'e getting more than just Flynn and a 1 -- you're getting cap relief by unloading Najera and Boone along with Boozer and his Bird Rights, which give you leverage in re-signing him.

I understand the concerns though, but I also think this lineup could make a playoff push in the East:

G - Flynn, Alson
G - Lee, CDR, Dooling
PF - Boozer, Yi

I honestly don't see that team winning more than 30 games. I like the potential of Flynn, Lee, TWill and Lopez, but you're asking a heck of a lot out of them right away for them to be a playoff team.

Bird rights or not, how interested would he really be in staying around? Also, for what it's worth the Nets can always renounce Boone at no cost so there not really "unloading" him.
enetric wrote:You have the perfect fat% to sit on your butt, eat crap and WATCH someone else do it though. Hell, at that body fat% you might be a starter.
LOOSH
Rookie

Post#13 » by LOOSH » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:35 am

Good point on Boone, they get Najera off though. I don't know how interested he would be, but he'd be playing essentially in NYC and in terms of basketball it would be a great fit for him.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#14 » by Vindicater » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:37 am

thats fairly good for sota... but i want to see flynn in some real games first
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Preludepunk27
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#15 » by Preludepunk27 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:42 am

LOOSH wrote:Well, your'e getting more than just Flynn and a 1 -- you're getting cap relief by unloading Najera and Boone along with Boozer and his Bird Rights, which give you leverage in re-signing him.

G - Flynn, Alson
G - Lee, CDR, Dooling
PF - Boozer, Yi

Honestly, I think it's more a lateral move by giving up Devin for Boozer. I don't think it makes must THAT much better than we are now. If Boozer can't stay healthy, then we're screwed completely, likely not to resign him because we'll be scared of his injury, and likely in a worse position than we were prior to the deal. My logic is probably bias though because I don't want a 5'9" starting PG.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,643

Post#16 » by shrink » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:49 pm

NBA.com Rookie Rankings from summer league have Flynn at #2, behind only Blake Griffin

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

Who needs Ricky Rubio(notes) when you have Jonny Flynn? The Timberwolves' second point-guard pick looked like a starter (and talked like one, too, in this NBA TV interview), showing off his unbelievable quickness while averaging 15.0 points and 7.4 assists. Flynn was in control and may just end up being the better of the Wolves' two rookie point guards.

That said, maybe MIN, who is at least a year away from contending, is at a better position in its development than other teams, who don't want the rookie risk?
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#17 » by funkatron101 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:27 pm

Kudos, this is one of the few big trades that I haven't seen someone puke all over it. There are some reluctant fans, but they see the value as being adequate.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#18 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:04 pm

funkatron101 wrote:Kudos, this is one of the few big trades that I haven't seen someone puke all over it. There are some reluctant fans, but they see the value as being adequate.

Nope. NJ doesn't see this as adequate value.
But, it isn't a horrific offer and the OP is quite level headed as well, so there is no reason to flame it. It is still a terrible move for NJ, worse then lateral, because of the situation NJ is in and the massive concerns over Boozer's health and contract demands.
Still, again I agree, it was a fair idea, not the vomit inducing junk that we see constantly, nor is it the same old beaten to death idea with an extra protected first and a switch of filler, so it is definitely original and creative, and reasonable enough to be debated civily and intelligently.

Edit: You know what, I'm taking you out of context. You're right, the actual trade value is adequate, a top lotto pick point guard, a future 1st and an Allstar big man with injury concerns for a younger Allstar point guard, expirings and a junk contract is absolutely fair value, it's just the fit and valid concerns that don't make sense for NJ.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,958

Post#19 » by Tim Lehrbach » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:11 pm

Clever trade. I have to believe New Jersey would rather run with the young guys this season and chase Boozer or another free agent next summer than lose Devin Harris.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007

Return to Trades and Transactions