Cavs/ Jazz/ Knicks: Deal Maker or Deal Breaker?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Deal Maker or Deal Breaker?

Deal Maker?
No votes
Deal Breaker Cavs?
100%
Deal Breaker Jazz?
No votes
Deal Breaker Knicks?
No votes

Total votes: 2

WillyJakkz
RealGM
And1: 3,430

Cavs/ Jazz/ Knicks: Deal Maker or Deal Breaker? 

Post#1 » by WillyJakkz » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:08 pm

Cavs trade: C Shaquille O'neal / PF JJ Hickson / G Daniel Gibson
Jazz trade: PF Carlos Boozer / SF Matt Harpring / 2010 1st RD Pick (Utah)
Knicks trade: C Eddy Curry / 2010 2nd RD Pick

Cavs receive: (PF Carlos Boozer / C Eddy Curry / Jazz 2010 1st RD Pick)
I know the Cavs just got Shaq but this scenario allows them to get (back) a bruiser at PF in Carlos Boozer as well as a backup/future starting C in Eddy Curry who has shown he can play at a high level (18/7 2007-2008) but just can't fit in w/ the Knicks Run 'N Gun offense. Boozer would give the Cavs what they sorely missed against the Magic, interior scoring, as would Curry who's rebounding deficiencies would be masked by the energetic Anderson Varejo. Imo the signing of PF Leon Powe makes Hickson expendable.

Williams/ West (Parker)/ James/ Boozer/ Ilgauskas (Curry)

Jazz receive: (C Shaquille O'neal / PF JJ Hickson / Knicks 2010 2nd RD Pick)
The Jazz didn't re-tool this offseason and didn't get vastly better except by drafting stud PG Eric Maynor but...this is the Western Conference and w/ the Lakers, Blazers, Spurs, and Mavs getting notably better, I think by acquiring Shaq, moving Okur to PF to space the floor and AK47's help defense, they give themselves a 1-2 yr window to win it all and that's better than where they stand now while also getting a capable backup to eventual starter, stud PF Paul Millsap.

Williams/ Brewer/ Kirilenko/ Okur/ O'neal

Knicks receive: (SF Matt Harpring / G Daniel Gibson)
This move is all about clearing even more capspace in 2010 by trading the contract of C Eddy Curry vs the contract of G Daniel Gibson.

Deal Maker or Deal Breaker?
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,658

Re: Cavs/ Jazz/ Knicks: Deal Maker or Deal Breaker? 

Post#2 » by Roger Murdock » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:09 pm

Really close for the cavs. I would rather get the knicks pick out of it. Otherwise probably no.
sendai91
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#3 » by sendai91 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:18 pm

The concept isn't bad, but Cleveland wouldn't send Shaq out before he touches the floor with Lebron, and not for Boozer who has a checkered past with the Cavs. I don't see why Utah gives up a #1, nor do I see that Shaq would help the Jazz a lot at this point in his career.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#4 » by Mr. E » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:28 pm

point of clarification, please: is this the actual pick belonging to the Jazz for 2010, or the 2010 pick formerly of the Knicks that is owned by the Jazz?
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,107

Post#5 » by jazzfan1971 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:47 pm

I don't think the Jazz CAN give away their own pick in 2010. But even if they could, the Jazz aren't shipping out a first for a year rental of Shaq. Hickson and a 2nd rounder don't make much difference either way.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
WillyJakkz
RealGM

Post#6 » by WillyJakkz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:40 am

Make no mistake about it, Shaq at this stage of his career STILL puts virtually ANY TEAM (in this instance the Jazz) a helluva lot closer or to a championship than PF Carlos Boozer does, therefore it (Shaq's rental) is worth the 1or 2 yr risk vs the rental (1 yr, which is exactly what you have) in Boozer.
deviljets7
Lead Assistant
And1: 24

Post#7 » by deviljets7 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:55 am

jazzfan1971 wrote:I don't think the Jazz CAN give away their own pick in 2010. But even if they could, the Jazz aren't shipping out a first for a year rental of Shaq. Hickson and a 2nd rounder don't make much difference either way.

From the Jazz perspective this looks like 2 separate deals:

The first part is Boozer/Harpring for Shaq. Boozer is 10 years younger, but with Utah's financial situation, both guys are 1-year rentals Plus Boozer's been just as big of, if not a bigger health issue than Shaq in recent years.

The other part is Hickson and a 2nd rounder for a 1st rounder. Assuming it's a Utah pick, I think this is pretty solid value for the Jazz. If it's the Knicks pick then it's a terrible deal.

I guess this deal comes down to how much you think Okur can play/defend PFs. I think it is a fair deal for Utah though I can understand why they'd turn it down for fit and/or financial reasons.
enetric wrote:You have the perfect fat% to sit on your butt, eat crap and WATCH someone else do it though. Hell, at that body fat% you might be a starter.
WillyJakkz
RealGM

Post#8 » by WillyJakkz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:06 am

From the Cavs perspective, yeah Boozer did you guys really grimy BUT it was a business decision and GM Danny Ferry is to blame. Anywho Big Z is in the final chapter of his "book" as well as Shaq and though Shaq could very well bring the Cavs/ LeBron a championship, if not this move nets the Cavs a young Center (Curry til 2011) and franchise-caliber PF Carlos Boozer (til 2010) so you Cleveland could theoretically have Boozer as a S&T chip to gain A'mare or Chris Bosh to go w/ LeBron James (if re-signed). That is the one chip Shaq doesn't provide.

2010 Cavs (theoretically):
Williams/ West/ James/ Stoudemire (Bosh)/ Z? (Curry)

Edit: Just thought about it, it would have to be a double S&T which is quite rare but nonetheless still a negotiating chip w/ perspective PF's or player of another position.
bcortell
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#9 » by bcortell » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:08 am

WillyJakk7 wrote:From the Cavs perspective, yeah Boozer did you guys really grimy BUT it was a business decision and GM Danny Ferry is to blame. Anywho Big Z is in the final chapter of his "book" as well as Shaq and though Shaq could very well bring the Cavs/ LeBron a championship, if not this move nets the Cavs a young Center (Curry til 2011) and franchise-caliber PF Carlos Boozer (til 2010) so you Cleveland could theoretically have Boozer as a S&T chip to gain A'mare or Chris Bosh to go w/ LeBron James (if re-signed). That is the one chip Shaq doesn't provide.

Edit: Just thought about it, it would have to be a double S&T which is quite rare but nonetheless still a negotiating chip w/ perspective PF's or player of another position.

1. Ferry wasn't around when the Boozer ordeal took place.
2. Curry is a young center. You know who else is a young center? Sene. I'll take Sene because we don't have to take that horrid contract and he's played in twice as many games as Curry last year.
WillyJakkz
RealGM

Post#10 » by WillyJakkz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:02 am

bcortell wrote:
WillyJakk7 wrote:From the Cavs perspective, yeah Boozer did you guys really grimy BUT it was a business decision and GM Danny Ferry is to blame. Anywho Big Z is in the final chapter of his "book" as well as Shaq and though Shaq could very well bring the Cavs/ LeBron a championship, if not this move nets the Cavs a young Center (Curry til 2011) and franchise-caliber PF Carlos Boozer (til 2010) so you Cleveland could theoretically have Boozer as a S&T chip to gain A'mare or Chris Bosh to go w/ LeBron James (if re-signed). That is the one chip Shaq doesn't provide.

2. Curry is a young center. You know who else is a young center? Sene. I'll take Sene because we don't have to take that horrid contract and he's played in twice as many games as Curry last year.

1. Who was the GM that allowed Boozer to in "good faith" drop the last year of his rookie 2nd RD deal because he was underpaid IF you re-sign w/ us for a discounted "better" deal (wink, wink) only to be overbid by the Utah Jazz? Yeah...

2. How could I forget Sene averaged 18/7... :roll:
JDubJazz
Analyst
And1: 4

Post#11 » by JDubJazz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:34 pm

Jazz cannot trade their first rounder this year (its owed to Minny via Philly -Korver trade) and the Jazz certainly aren't including the Knicks unprotected number 1 to facilitate this deal. shaq would actually be a decent fit with the Jazz team, so I could see it from a talent perspective, but the draft pick situation doesn't work at all.
--J-Dub--
KM44
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#12 » by KM44 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:00 pm

AGAIN WITH THE DEAL BREAKER DEAL MAKER STUFF?!?! AND you still can't get the format right. Is it that hard?
Nicky Nix Nook wrote:In two years:

Thompson > Aldridge
bcortell
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#13 » by bcortell » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:00 pm

WillyJakk7 wrote:
bcortell wrote:

1. Who was the GM that allowed Boozer to in "good faith" drop the last year of his rookie 2nd RD deal because he was underpaid IF you re-sign w/ us for a discounted "better" deal (wink, wink) only to be overbid by the Utah Jazz? Yeah...

1. It was Paxson, even though he said not to do it. Gund was the one who said ok to it.
2. Key word there- averaged. And, that was 3 seasons ago. He averaged 1.7/1.3 last season.
InBoobieWeTrust
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#14 » by InBoobieWeTrust » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:04 pm

WillyJakk7 wrote:1. Who was the GM that allowed Boozer to in "good faith" drop the last year of his rookie 2nd RD deal because he was underpaid IF you re-sign w/ us for a discounted "better" deal (wink, wink) only to be overbid by the Utah Jazz? Yeah...

1.) The G.M. was Jim Paxson, who vehemently warned owner Gordon Gund not to trust Boozer when BOOZER came to the Cavs with the "proposal".

2.) So what if he averaged 18/7? His contract is horrid, he's got major personal baggage, he hasn't been in shape for years, he couldn't even play last year. He is LITERALLY unmovable.

The Cavs say no, Boozer has proven he doesn't care about winning, he has proven he loves to collect his paychecks on the bench, and he's even worse than Shaq defensively.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#15 » by moocow007 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:48 pm

InBoobieWeTrust wrote:
WillyJakk7 wrote:1. Who was the GM that allowed Boozer to in "good faith" drop the last year of his rookie 2nd RD deal because he was underpaid IF you re-sign w/ us for a discounted "better" deal (wink, wink) only to be overbid by the Utah Jazz? Yeah...

1.) The G.M. was Jim Paxson, who vehemently warned owner Gordon Gund not to trust Boozer when BOOZER came to the Cavs with the "proposal".

2.) So what if he averaged 18/7? His contract is horrid, he's got major personal baggage, he hasn't been in shape for years, he couldn't even play last year. He is LITERALLY unmovable.

The Cavs say no, Boozer has proven he doesn't care about winning, he has proven he loves to collect his paychecks on the bench, and he's even worse than Shaq defensively.

Actually it's 19/7.

And Curry is down over 50lbs from the last couple seasons. Bulls and Piston fans have said that they've seen Curry recently (lives in Chicago and worked out most of the summer in Detroit) and that he looks great.

That said...OBVIOUSLY seeing is believing and until Curry steps on the court no one knows what exactly Curry will be. Which is why it neither makes sense for the Knicks to include him now (since it would take too much extra to move him) until they see what they get NOR for another team to want him (without getting heavy compensation to take him).
WillyJakkz
RealGM

Post#16 » by WillyJakkz » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:13 pm

KM44 wrote:AGAIN WITH THE DEAL BREAKER DEAL MAKER STUFF?!?! AND you still can't get the format right. Is it that hard?

Again like I give a crap of your opinion, reading is very fundamental so when YOU read Deal Maker or Deal Breaker in the title, you'll know it's a WillyJakk7 thread so YOU can stay the ____ out. Is that so hard? And LOL at you getting mad.

Anywho I'd love Shaq in Utah, as a Magic fan, he and LeBron are making me nervous.

Return to Trades and Transactions