Got Anyone Insured?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,639

Got Anyone Insured? 

Post#1 » by shrink » Tue Oct 6, 2009 5:36 pm

I'm posting this here because the likelyhood of a player having his insurance kicks in radically affects the trade value of a player who won't be on the court. However, the likelyhood of a player getting insurance is rarely published in the national media, so I'm asking the fans of the local teams to give their best guesses.

Is anyone on your team up for insurance? What do you think the likelyhood is that his insurance will kick in?

For example:

Mobely : 100 likely%, because ...

Harpring : 80 likely%, because ...

Jerome James : 50 likely% because ...

Others??

These are just examples, and my percentages are just guesses from the occasional rumor that reaches national level. You guys know better locally, so I'm asking you -- who's likely to get insured?
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Re: Got Anyone Insured? 

Post#2 » by loserX » Tue Oct 6, 2009 5:50 pm

Harpring doesn't want to retire, but it's not looking good for him right now. He is not part of the Jazz training camp, and will certainly not play at the start of the season...several articles have stated that Jazz GM Kevin O'Connor is "resigned to not having him around".

I wouldn't know how to assess a percentage of probability; it's less than 100% certain but it sounds pretty close.
shrink
RealGM

Post#3 » by shrink » Tue Oct 6, 2009 6:32 pm

Without delving too deeply into Darius Miles, who makes the decision?

If a competitive player like Harpring says he's healthy enough to play, and his team says he's not, who decides whether insurance kicks in? Is it a league doctor, or the private insurance company? And I assume there's a difference between being injured (insured) and just declining (uninsured).
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#4 » by Billy » Tue Oct 6, 2009 6:58 pm

shrink wrote:Without delving too deeply into Darius Miles, who makes the decision?

If a competitive player like Harpring says he's healthy enough to play, and his team says he's not, who decides whether insurance kicks in? Is it a league doctor, or the private insurance company? And I assume there's a difference between being injured (insured) and just declining (uninsured).

Last year Portland had Raef LaFrentz on the roster and his insurance policy was transferable. I don't know all of the dirty details, but it was my understanding that the policy would kick in after 41 games if he was unable to play. I think a lot depends on the policy. Raef couldn't go, but I believe that ultimately the decision was made when he failed to play in the 41st game of the season. I don't think any doctors were really involved after the initial diagnosis.
shagadelic45
General Manager
And1: 85

Post#5 » by shagadelic45 » Tue Oct 6, 2009 7:03 pm

do injured/insured players count against the cap/lux tax? how bout if they retire?
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#6 » by loserX » Tue Oct 6, 2009 7:04 pm

shagadelic45 wrote:do injured/insured players count against the cap/lux tax? how bout if they retire?

Unless there is a medical exemption granted (like the Darius Miles case...temporarily), then yes, they count fully against the cap and the tax even if they retire.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#7 » by john2jer » Tue Oct 6, 2009 7:05 pm

shagadelic45 wrote:do injured/insured players count against the cap/lux tax? how bout if they retire?

Yes. The only thing that happens is insurance pays whatever percentage of their contract that is insured.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
shagadelic45
General Manager
And1: 85

Post#8 » by shagadelic45 » Wed Oct 7, 2009 12:10 am

that's what i thought, thanks guys
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#9 » by WiscoKing13 » Wed Oct 7, 2009 2:48 am

possibly sharpe on the bucks. I've heard he might not play this year, IF its 100 percent covered, thats 1.5 mil in cash to a lux team
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
shrink
RealGM

Post#10 » by shrink » Wed Oct 7, 2009 4:06 pm

WiscoKing13 wrote:possibly sharpe on the bucks. I've heard he might not play this year, IF its 100 percent covered, thats 1.5 mil in cash to a lux team

That's another question I've got. I always here the 80% number thrown around. Is this league mandated, or is each one individual, and 100% insurance is possible?

I didn't know about Sharpe - thanks WiscoKing. Any other players out there?

Return to Trades and Transactions