SAC/GSW/NOH w/cp3

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Re: SAC/GSW/NOH w/cp3 

Post#21 » by gswhoops » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:16 am

turk3d wrote:Not exactly true. We're one Maggette trade away from having usable cap space.

I don't understand why GS wants cap space...who did we get with it last time? Maggette.

We're not a destination for premier FAs, so we'll end up having to overpay some marginal talent (like Maggette) then spend the next two years trying to dump him.
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#22 » by Smills91 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:56 pm

turk3d wrote:
Further, why do you care about that gross contract; it has NO effect on the Warriors situation because your team is capped out for the next 2 seasons as it stands now.

Not exactly true. We're one Maggette trade away from having usable cap space.

Actually, that makes it ABSOLUTELY true. NOONE, I mean NOONE is taking on that 8 figure annual salary of Maggette over the next 4 seasons. NOONE.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#23 » by turk3d » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:59 pm

Not likely, but certainly possible. Just wait until we get to the trade deadline and see what happens if Maggette is healthy and putting up pretty good numbers (which he is currently) and a team that is looking to get over the top. You said the same thing about Crawford and Jackson, didn't you?
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#24 » by old rem » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:05 pm

rpa wrote:
old rem wrote:Paul >> Ellis. Not by..like 1.000X or something, but by a bit.

Azu + Curry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Peja and that gross contract

You're serious? Really?

Paul >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ellis (and I'm stopping early because if I did 1000 of those the formatting would get ugly).

Paul is a HOF caliber player who may be a top 3 PG ever by the time he retires. He's also only 24 years old right now. Ellis isn't even an allstar, let alone a superstar, let alone a first ballot HOFer.

I'll put it in a way you may agree with: Ellis and Martin are on roughly the same level as players (you may be a homer and say they aren't but most rational fans have been saying this for a while). But...

Paul >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Martin (ending early again)

Further, why do you care about that gross contract; it has NO effect on the Warriors situation because your team is capped out for the next 2 seasons as it stands now.

What is it Paul DOES? He scores, passes, gets steals. Ellis does that too and has probably become a bit better on D. Are the Hornets dominating the known basketball world/ Nope. Paul ain't Magic Johnson. He can do what our current PG collection does,a bit better. For GSW, Paul's size makes it even LESS possible to play him + Curry. I also have some issues with the general concept of having a revolving door...then wondering why the chemistry never quite develops. Ellis has stepped into the leader role. Is that the kiss of death here? Does Ellis (and in a year or 2 Paul) join other "team leaders" like Jackson, Baron, J Rich, Jamison,on the next bus out of town?

Paul is a better asst guy than Monta. However...that's not enough to offset the REST of the deal...which is AWFUL for GSW.
CENSORED... No comment.
old rem
RealGM

Post#25 » by old rem » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:28 pm

As useless as Peja is to GSW, the deal is like us paying Paul $28-30 MILLION for this year and next.

The really nasty version 2 just adds more payroll hell in Posey. The damage of the Peja/Posey contracts has the Hornets in dire straits...so we ADD that to Vlad + Maggette....so there's about $36 mill per for a set of F's where Maggette is the best of the lot? With the cost of Paul + Biedrins added...GSW is already in Lux Tax with the need to match Morrow's RFA bid. That's just half the roster and GSW is paying Lux $ with a lot of untradeable contracts.
CENSORED... No comment.
old rem
RealGM

Post#26 » by old rem » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:41 pm

turk3d wrote:

Not exactly true. We're one Maggette trade away from having usable cap space.

Not sure about the exact details, where the cap will be, but I suspect that IF GSW could deal Maggette for expiring junk, the amount under cap is not any more than the MLE,in which case it hardly changes things. As is, GSW's payroll is quite workable. There's young guys who over the next few years will need extensions. The stuff that expires mostly offsets that. Maggette? He had a double double yesterday, is a bit high $ but does play minutes and does produce. Next summer he's a guy with 3 yr left..the summer after,2 yr left. The less time on that deal, the more his performance matters relative to contract. The thing is....Maggette ain't leaving in this and GSW instead adds a much worse burden.
CENSORED... No comment.
yehyeh82
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#27 » by yehyeh82 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:05 pm

Old Rem, this is a no brainer. We get the best pg in the league and don't have to give up a big with upside? Half those players you love we found in the D-League. There are more players like them out there. How Chris Paul type players are there? We would have to give up a lot more than this to get him. We can't sit around forever for guys like Wright to actually do something, not show flashes before heading to the trainers table.
Bill Walton after comparing a Lebron dunk to Angel Falls wrote: Now that is a big waterfall and that was a big throwdown
longfellow44
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#28 » by longfellow44 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:48 am

It's true, the warriors are still left with a very comepetitive team after this trade it's arguably significantly better. Not to mention a player like paul will help to maximize the talent of every player already on the court. And it is true that Peja has a huge contract but he's going to be a big expiring in 2011 and he should be set to expire right along with Vlad which should allow the Warriors to use those 2011 expirings to find another player to move forward with a much better overall team.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#29 » by FNQ » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:57 pm

:lol: @ any W's homer who wouldn't take CP3 for that package... you've got to be joking.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#30 » by Coxy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:36 pm

rpa wrote:
old rem wrote:Paul >> Ellis. Not by..like 1.000X or something, but by a bit.

Azu + Curry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Peja and that gross contract

You're serious? Really?

Paul >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ellis (and I'm stopping early because if I did 1000 of those the formatting would get ugly).

Paul is a HOF caliber player who may be a top 3 PG ever by the time he retires. He's also only 24 years old right now. Ellis isn't even an allstar, let alone a superstar, let alone a first ballot HOFer.

I'll put it in a way you may agree with: Ellis and Martin are on roughly the same level as players (you may be a homer and say they aren't but most rational fans have been saying this for a while). But...

Paul >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Martin (ending early again)

Wow. Talk about overrating a player. If Paul is so good, why do New Orleans suck. Top 3 PG of ALL TIME. You have got to be joking.

We are absolutely overpaying here to get Chris Paul. If it happened, I'd be on board with it, but it still wouldn't change the fact that we overpayed.
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 153

Post#31 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:40 am

FireNellieQuick wrote::lol: @ any W's homer who wouldn't take CP3 for that package... you've got to be joking.

+1
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#32 » by VintaGe36 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:03 am

The sheer stupidity of some GSW fans baffle me.

I understand, I'm a mod, and shouldn't be insulting other posters, but most would agree,

some of the comments in this thread cannot go unmentioned.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#33 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:04 am

This idea has some legs, but Curry would need to go to NOH, not Monta. It can be tweaked...
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin

Return to Trades and Transactions