Jazz Piss Tons of Cap Space: UTAH - DET

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Evermore
Banned User
And1: 0

Jazz Piss Tons of Cap Space: UTAH - DET 

Post#1 » by Evermore » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:23 am

Utah gets: Richard Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince

Detroit gets: Andrei Kirilenko, Kyle Korver

Case for Utah: They upgrade 2 starting positions by adding solid veterans Hamilton and Prince. Utah should contend this season...and then add New York's likely lottery pick to the mix next season...

Williams
Hamilton/Brewer
Prince/Brewer
Boozer/Millsap
Okur/Boozer

Case for Detroit: They dump Hamilton's longterm deal and replace Prince with Kirilenko's massive 2011 expiring deal. Korver provides Detroit with an expiring contract...

Stuckey/Bynum
Gordon/Stuckey
Kirilenko/Daye
Villanueva/Wilcox
Wallace/Brown
HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Re: Jazz Piss Tons of Cap Space: UTAH - DET 

Post#2 » by HeroicKennedy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:35 am

Prince and Kirlenko both expire in 2011 so what's the difference here?

Detroit declines.
Evermore
Banned User

Post#3 » by Evermore » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:41 am

HeroicKennedy wrote:Prince and Kirlenko both expire in 2011 so what's the difference here?

Detroit declines.

I'm guessing Detroit saves about 5 million next season...then an additional 11 million in 2012 and 2013...give or take a million or so...

I would think that's a no-brainer for a team with Ben Gordon on its roster...
HeroicKennedy
General Manager

Post#4 » by HeroicKennedy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:46 am

Evermore wrote:
HeroicKennedy wrote:Prince and Kirlenko both expire in 2011 so what's the difference here?

Detroit declines.

I'm guessing Detroit saves about 5 million next season...then an additional 11 million in 2012 and 2013...give or take a million or so...

I would think that's a no-brainer for a team with Ben Gordon on its roster...

Detroit isn't really concerned about saving money. Keep in mind they shaved $15 million off the payroll from last year to this year.

If you want Rip, you're going to attach incentive besides cap relief. We can get the same relief keeping Prince and trading Rip for say, Samuel Dalembert or Tyson Chandler who fit what we need better.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#5 » by PDXKnight » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:35 am

This would be a great deal for Utah, but I can't see Detroit doing it. They may trade Hamilton and/or prince for an expiring if they're looking to create space for 2010, but there's little incentive for them to trade for a guy on a contract similar to that of Prince's and Hamilton's combined salaries.
Evermore
Banned User

Post#6 » by Evermore » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:55 am

Oden2 wrote:This would be a great deal for Utah, but I can't see Detroit doing it. They may trade Hamilton and/or prince for an expiring if they're looking to create space for 2010, but there's little incentive for them to trade for a guy on a contract similar to that of Prince's and Hamilton's combined salaries.

I've already pointed out the benefits...

4 million off the payroll next season...then additional savings of about 11 million each of the next 2 seasons

Hamilton and Prince will NOT be on Detroit's roster the next time they win a championship...so they might as well move them sooner than later...
HeroicKennedy
General Manager

Post#7 » by HeroicKennedy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:08 am

Evermore wrote:
Oden2 wrote:This would be a great deal for Utah, but I can't see Detroit doing it. They may trade Hamilton and/or prince for an expiring if they're looking to create space for 2010, but there's little incentive for them to trade for a guy on a contract similar to that of Prince's and Hamilton's combined salaries.

4 million off the payroll next season...then additional savings of about 11 million each of the next 2 seasons

Hamilton and Prince will NOT be on Detroit's roster the next time they win a championship...so they might as well move them sooner than later...

I always found this to be terrible logic. Detroit shouldn't be concerned with when they deal Rip and Prince but how much they get for them. You're right, it's unlikely either are part of the next championship team, but they need to get as much as possible out of either of them in a trade, regardless of when they make the deal. In other words, if they can get more value out of Rip by waiting until Rip becomes an expiring contract then moving him, that would be the best route. Same goes for Prince. The fact that they aren't competing for a championship immediate means they can be more patient with their moves. There's no rush. There's no championship window rapidly closing.

I mean, all you're really doing is bringing the capspace from 2012 to 2011 with this deal. Rip's last year is only partially guaranteed, meaning he can be bought out of his final year with nothing against the cap. And 2012 could be a more appealing free agency market, with guys like Dwight Howard and Chris Paul potentially hitting the market.

Detroit's in no hurry to move either of these guys. If this is the best we can net, I say **** it, keep 'em until they expire then go after from 2012 free agents.
Evermore
Banned User

Post#8 » by Evermore » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:17 am

HeroicKennedy wrote:
Evermore wrote:

I always found this to be terrible logic. Detroit shouldn't be concerned with when they deal Rip and Prince but how much they get for them. You're right, it's unlikely either are part of the next championship team, but they need to get as much as possible out of either of them in a trade, regardless of when they make the deal. In other words, if they can get more value out of Rip by waiting until Rip becomes an expiring contract then moving him, that would be the best route. Same goes for Prince. The fact that they aren't competing for a championship immediate means they can be more patient with their moves. There's no rush. There's no championship window rapidly closing.

I mean, all you're really doing is bringing the capspace from 2012 to 2011 with this deal. Rip's last year is only partially guaranteed, meaning he can be bought out of his final year with nothing against the cap. And 2012 could be a more appealing free agency market, with guys like Dwight Howard and Chris Paul potentially hitting the market.

Detroit's in no hurry to move either of these guys. If this is the best we can net, I say **** it, keep 'em until they expire then go after from 2012 free agents.

So rather than have an extra 25 million or so to spend heading into the summer of 2011...the Pistons wait until 2013 to maximize Rip's trade value?

You wanna talk about logic...
HeroicKennedy
General Manager

Post#9 » by HeroicKennedy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:27 am

Evermore wrote:So rather than have an extra 25 million or so to spend heading into the summer of 2011...the Pistons wait until 2013 to maximize Rip's trade value?

1. 2012, not 2013. Rip's final year (2012-2013) is only partially guaranteed. Meaning we can get out of his contract before 2013 and have money to spend.

2. What's so great about 2011? I've been looking at the available free agents and there's nothing like Dwight Howard, Chris Paul or Deron Williams who are available in 2012.

And like I said, there's alternate routes to getting 2011 capspace that doesn't involve us trading Prince. So what you're offering is nothing unique. You have to attach incentive to make this move, so either give us incentive that isn't salary based or it's an easy pass.
Evermore
Banned User

Post#10 » by Evermore » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:16 pm

HeroicKennedy wrote:
Evermore wrote:So rather than have an extra 25 million or so to spend heading into the summer of 2011...the Pistons wait until 2013 to maximize Rip's trade value?

1. 2012, not 2013. Rip's final year (2012-2013) is only partially guaranteed. Meaning we can get out of his contract before 2013 and have money to spend.

2. What's so great about 2011? I've been looking at the available free agents and there's nothing like Dwight Howard, Chris Paul or Deron Williams who are available in 2012.

And like I said, there's alternate routes to getting 2011 capspace that doesn't involve us trading Prince. So what you're offering is nothing unique. You have to attach incentive to make this move, so either give us incentive that isn't salary based or it's an easy pass.

Utah throws in their 1st round pick...

Deal?
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#11 » by DelaneyRudd » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:56 pm

Utah's first rounder belongs to Minnedota. If you are talking about.... no you wouldn't dare even mention it.
Evermore
Banned User

Post#12 » by Evermore » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:20 pm

DelaneyRudd wrote:Utah's first rounder belongs to Minnedota. If you are talking about.... no you wouldn't dare even mention it.

So many picks...it's hard to keep track of them all

Return to Trades and Transactions